PDA

View Full Version : Pineapple

Journey2dFuture
January 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM
Hmm - I read that eating pineapple induces labour... So is it safe to eat in pregnancy at all?

rainbowflower
January 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
you'd have to eat 7 whole pineapples to get anywhere near enough of the chemical to cause the cervix to soften, how many were you planning on eating?

zanacal
January 1st, 2012, 02:51 PM
I actually don't believe that there's any evidence that pineapple causes uterine contractions (although please feel free to prove me wrong somebody!) - I'm certainly eating it!

zanacal
January 1st, 2012, 02:52 PM
From Babyworld:

Pineapple apparently contains an enzyme called 'bromelain'. Bromelain helps promote the production of chemicals called 'prostaglandins'. Prostaglandins occur naturally in the body. There are a number of different prostaglandins. Each one has a specific, localised effect on certain parts of the body. For example, one type of prostaglandin helps 'ripen' (or soften) the cervix ready for labour to start, and a synthetic version of this particular prostaglandin is used in gel or pessary form to help induce labour in hospital. However, this type of prostaglandin is not the type that bromelain is said to boost - so eating pineapple (or, indeed, any other foods that make this claim) will not help the production of the prostaglandins needed to 'bring on' labour. The pineapple myth is a worrying example of over-simplification of complicated physiology by people who really should know better.

Journey2dFuture
January 1st, 2012, 03:00 PM
, how many were you planning on eating?
Just the one over a few days :)
Thankyou girls.. I feel such a dummy with all this eating healthy stuff. I thought it would be simple.

Cinss
January 1st, 2012, 03:57 PM
Yeah it is totally safe to eat pineapple while pregnant. Here is an interesting article for you to read if you want, it seems there are ways to give labour a push when you are almost due.

Natural ways to bring on labour: a guide (http://www.babycenter.com.au/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/naturalbringonlabour/)

Princess of Pink
January 2nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
I don't believe many of the myths at all...but I have to say, with my 2nd daughter I craved fresh pineapple and ate about a half a pineapple a day for months....she was born 9 weeks premature for no reason at all and all babies before and after her were born on, near or after their due dates....coincidence? Who knows?

Cinss
January 2nd, 2012, 06:31 AM
I drank Rasberry leaf tea for the last month of my pregnancy and DD came 2 weeks early.

zanacal
January 2nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
I don't believe raspberry leaf induces labour either, it tones the uterus and makes the second stage quicker or something like that!