PDA

View Full Version : Coffee

Zivic-Bubac
January 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Is it really that bad to drink coffee during pregnancy? Is it true coffee can cause m/c? :worry:

I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I like my 1 cup of Nes-cafe with milk in the afternoon.
Are there any mommas here who coffee regularly and how much?

DoulaMama
January 2nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
I'm a black tea drinker for the most part but have lattes occasionally. I tried to stay away from caffeinated coffee right away, but drank my tea without a second thought. I found that at 7w when my m/s kicked in that I could not handle the smell or taste of tea or coffee. It wasn't until 13w that I could drink it. I think you'll know if your body is telling you to stay away from it. Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Such great news!!!

nuthinbutpink
January 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
I drink one cup. I think there are lots of things that are much worse. Just chase it with some water!

3Pink1Blue
January 2nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
It's not as much the coffee as the caffeine. Caffeine causes the baby's heartbeat to speed up and yes if drank regularly in high doses can cause mc. Basically stick to moderate amounts of decaf (which does still have a touch of caffeine) and you'll be fine.

Zivic-Bubac
January 2nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
I think you'll know if your body is telling you to stay away from it. Oh and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! Such great news!!!Thank you!!! I knew it would happen eventually lol! Hope it's a healthy :xy: in there! :cool:
Yes., in previous pregnancies there was a time when I was disgusted by the smell of coffee, let alone drinking it! But that time is not here yet...I'm craving coffee LOL!

Zivic-Bubac
January 2nd, 2012, 11:36 AM
I drink one cup. I think there are lots of things that are much worse. Just chase it with some water!

I'm off to make some! :p

Zivic-Bubac
January 2nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Basically stick to moderate amounts of decaf (which does still have a touch of caffeine) and you'll be fine.
You're right. I'll get some decaf tomorrow, today I'll have fare-well regular Nes-cafe :wink:

purplepoet20
January 2nd, 2012, 12:02 PM
I used to drink 3-4 cps but slowly lowered it during the first trimester of preg with DS1. I am currently drink 2 cps a day but that is because I will go insane on less... DS1 is an early riser and DS2 is fighting naps now. I normally drink 1cp a day while preg and spend a lot of time sitting around. I don't drink any other form of caffine while preg.

Journey2dFuture
January 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
I'm not a coffee drinker but i do drink tea with milk at least 3-4 cups aday.. This morning i could even finish my first cup. :( Just water and fruit juice for me.

zanacal
January 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM
I forgot about not having caffeine in the early weeks of pregnancy (not really an issue as I don't normally drink coffee) but I went to Costa and got a latte and it made me feel so sick for the rest of the day (actually, I did it twice before I realised what was up!). For now I'm drinking tea, maybe 3 or 4 cups a day and the occasional decaff coffee.

alreadyneedivf
January 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
my RE and my ob/gyn both told me i can have one cup of coffee a day. I drink half-caff coffee only because I occasionally have diet coke so I figure together that is one cup of coffee:) Congrats on being newly pregnant (I see from your siggy)!

Hobbermittens
January 2nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
I always cut out coffee when pregnant, but my good friend drank several cups a day while pregnant AND nursing! I like Pero and Inka--both coffee substitutes and caffeine free. :)

begonia
January 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
ZB I can't find the thread where you announce your BFP but I saw your ticker in another post, I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! What a lovely start to the year!!! FX for a sticky blue bean for you!

And FWIW I drink coffee while pregnant. Just a cup in the am. If I want two I go for decaf on #2. I also typically have a soda during the day so overall I don't shy away from caffeine completely. My whole approach though is just do what you personally are comfortable with ... if you'd constantly fret that the coffee was having a negative effect, don't do it, KWIM?

Zivic-Bubac
January 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
ZB I can't find the thread where you announce your BFP but I saw your ticker in another post, I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!! What a lovely start to the year!!! FX for a sticky blue bean for you!
Thank you huni! I wasn't expecting BFP, had a decent cut-off lol! ( DH went on a business trip before my O day) So girlie timing. I'll post my sway when I see my gyn I'm superstitious lol! Not much of a sway anyway, we'll see...

You're right about coffee, i have it constantly in the back of my mind I could harm the baby, but I miss it. I'll buy some decaf probably, just 1 cup a day, hope it won't do any harm.

begonia
January 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
ZB you know by now not to fret about timing! Remember ELP had her boy with a cut-off so don't despair :) There's a huge element of luck in all of this anyway and I just hope the luck is on your side for a sweet baby boy :HH:

I don't think decaf will do a bit of harm! I honestly can't tell the difference in taste anyway.

Zivic-Bubac
January 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
I like Pero and Inka--both coffee substitutes and caffeine free. :)Inka is good for health, I forgot the reason behind it, here they sell it in health food stores.
I also have a friend ( she has 3 boys) who is black coffee addict, she is nursing her 3rd baby and drinks coffee regularly.

Mochagirl
January 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
And FWIW I drink coffee while pregnant. Just a cup in the am. If I want two I go for decaf on #2. I also typically have a soda during the day so overall I don't shy away from caffeine completely. My whole approach though is just do what you personally are comfortable with ... if you'd constantly fret that the coffee was having a negative effect, don't do it, KWIM?

This is me exactly. I have one cup in the morning while pregnant, and while nursing (and up all night with a baby), I'll tend to have maybe 2 cups a day. My midwives said up to two cups a day is acceptable, though you need to also consider any caffeine in soda or chocolate you might be taking in as well.