PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Healthcare and Early U/S?

Mochagirl
January 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
Ok, now that it looks like I'm pregnant, I'm obviously starting to worry this bean isn't going to stick. Here in Canada we don't normally see anyone for a pregnancy appointment until about 10 weeks. That just seems sooooooo long to me. Last pregnancy my bean was probably gone for at least a month without me knowing it before I m/c at 11 weeks.

Does anyone here (particularly Canadians) know whether I could go to my family doctor and request an earlier u/s? If I'm not technically under the care of my midwife until 10 weeks, that's not double-dipping into medicare, right? Note that my doctor is not an OB, but he's ordered a couple of u/s for me before as a follow-up to my m/c care and since he's sympathetic to everything I've gone through, I think maybe I could convince him to order an early pregnancy u/s for me too....

When would I first be able to be able to see a heartbeat? Is it 6 weeks?

DoulaMama
January 3rd, 2012, 04:36 PM
You can absolutely ask for an early u/s. Until you start having visits with your m/w, you're not double dipping, so to speak. Heck, even here when there is an issue and we need an OB consult, you can see an OB for a few visits as well as your mw so I don't see that as an issue at all. I would book it for 6-7w if you can. If your Dr. understands your fears and knows your history then I would say he would definitely give you a req. The thing with the early u/s is that it will have to be transvaginal instead of abdominal. It's not a big deal but it can cause some irritation to the cervix and cause spotting. After 9w they can usually do an abdominal u/s. KUP! I'm just so excited for you Mocha!!!! What a wonderful New Year this will be for you :HH:

Indira
January 3rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
I´m so excited to read you´re pregnant, mochagirl!
Congratulations :HH:
This pregnancy I had a transvaginal at 4 weeks, 2 days, there was nothing.
Then at 5 weeks and 2 days you could see the sac but no heartbeat yet.
At 6 weeks 2 days there was a heartbeat.

Good luck getting an early US, hope you will manage to get one and I´m sending you buckets of sticky dust!!

Mochagirl
January 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks, ladies :HH:.

DM - I was hoping you'd respond - I know you know your stuff!

I'm used to transvaginal u/s - they always give me one at 11 weeks as well as the abdominal one. Is that not normal? Anyway, I'll book an appt with my doctor and ask for a req. when I get closer to 6 weeks. I just think it would be sooooo reassuring to see a heartbeat.

DoulaMama
January 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM
I can imagine how reassuring that would be Mocha :) I can't wait for you to see your little baby! How exciting!

I have to say it's not normal to get a transvaginal u/s here. We get a nuchal if we request one at 12-13 weeks(abdominal) and a 19-21 week level 2. Sometimes they'll do a dating scan early on if the woman is really unsure of her dates. With the vaginal u/s's, I think they can get a better look at baby and if there's a history of twins it's easier to see 2 in there. Also, the cervix is seen easier. Maybe that's why it was done for you?

Kitten
January 3rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
I had an early u/s (8w3d) with my angel due to spotting which turned out to be a subchorionic hematoma and not at all related to his diagnosis. It was both an abdominal and trans vag. This time I will be having another early u/s at 8w which was requested by my doc. I too don't see my midwives until 10 weeks.

Mochagirl
January 3rd, 2012, 05:18 PM
DM - hmmm...maybe it is because of my history of twins that they always do one. My first u/s with my twins they did one after the abdominal because they needed a better look at Baby B, but since then they've just done one as a matter of course every time and I assumed it was normal. Could it be because I'm always naughty and don't have quite as full a bladder as they'd like? :wink:

Kitten - is it your GP who requests the u/s?

DoulaMama
January 3rd, 2012, 05:42 PM
DM - hmmm...maybe it is because of my history of twins that they always do one. My first u/s with my twins they did one after the abdominal because they needed a better look at Baby B, but since then they've just done one as a matter of course every time and I assumed it was normal. Could it be because I'm always naughty and don't have quite as full a bladder as they'd like? :wink:

Kitten - is it your GP who requests the u/s?

That could very well be! LOL

ladybug
January 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
I am in Alberta too and I see my family doc first...With your past history you should have no problem getting an early u/s...When I get my BFP I will see my OB right away because of my ectopic....I would do it Mocha just for reassuance!!! I am so so so happy for you :)

lemon2012
January 3rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
HELLO CDNS!!!!
I know when I was using clomid for DS 1 I had a vaginal ultrasound at 7 weeks. They were checking to see a successful pg and also twins. I had two mature follicles the day of ovulation and only one took I guess.
But, that was through an endrocinologist. Otherwise, my family doc did not even schedule the 12 week ultrasound...I had to wait until close to 18 weeks I think!

With DS 2 I had an us at 36 weeks......I feared he was huge as DS 1 was almost 9 lbs. So, the OB gave in to my paranoia and gave me an US!
I would voice up....in Canada I feel if you do not ask they do not give as it is free...tg!

SO happy for you mocha~!

Mochagirl
January 3rd, 2012, 07:49 PM
I would voice up....in Canada I feel if you do not ask they do not give as it is free...tg!

So true, lemon!

mandicane
January 3rd, 2012, 09:46 PM
Way to go Mocha!!! That was so quick. I live in Toronto and you can definitely have a early u/s. After my first m/c I had a u/s with my now two year old at 5+6 weeks. And with this current pregnancy (i've had some bleeding) I've already had two u/s (one today actually) and I'm 6+6 weeks today. All you have to do is ask and you shall receive especially if you've had a previous m/c. Good luck to u and congratulations!!!!!!

Mochagirl
January 3rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
Thanks, mandicane. I lived in Toronto for many years, and my twins were born there. Now we're in KW, so not too far from you! :)

mandicane
January 3rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
Wow! we are close. I lived in Belleville for 20 years! Such a small world.

mandicane
January 3rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry, I thought you said Kingston:p

Mochagirl
January 3rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
I grew up in Kingston, mandicane - you must be psychic! :wink:

mandicane
January 3rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
haha! This is crazy! We're small town girls.