PDA

View Full Version : Girl names- updated- Found our name!

DoulaMama
January 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
Update- After going through every name site known to man, and still not finding one I truly loved, I sat down with a pen and paper and started putting letters down on paper that I liked the sounds of. I'm pretty obsessed with the 'ina' ending and the F/Ph sound is really attractive to me this time so I just started having fun. Felina popped into my head and I said out loud and it was the weirdest feeling! It was as if the baby said "YES" and it felt right instantly:) So, her name will be -removed :D
Thank you for all you help and input:) it's much appreciated!!
XO

My short list so far.....in order of best to least IMO(I like different names :))

Rhoslyn (this was our chosen name and has been for nearly 4 years)
Delphine
Delphina
Seraphine

Middle name will be Lilyanne (Lily for my deceased MIL and Anne for my mom)

I'm having issues with Rhoslyn for some reason. It feels like this baby doesn't want that name.....sounds strange, I know...but it's the truth. We will keep it on our list until after the baby is born and see what she looks like:)

Thanks for any thoughts!!
J xo

Cinss
January 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
I think Delphina and Seraphine flow much easier with Lillyanne, but all of the names here are beautiful :)

PeonyPrincess
January 3rd, 2012, 07:02 PM
I love that you are using their names as her middle name. I think because Rhoslyn and Lilyanne both end in an 'n' sound is why they don't roll off the tongue as easily. However, I do really like the name, and think you mostly have to get the first and last names to sound right together as 99% of the time that is what is used.
Great to see everything is going well with your little girl.

DoulaMama
January 3rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Thank you both! If it helps my last name is 2 syllables and begins and ends with K.

Peony- I think you're absolutely right! I've said all 4 with my last name and it sounds fine so I guess I'm stuck on the sound of the first and middle going together. I also LOVE nicknames so I'm really drawn to certain names for that reason alone. Rhos isn't really my cup of tea and neither is Lyn, to be honest. Delphina has the best nickname so far- Fina :) I just love it! Heck...even if we chose Seraphine/Delphine we would still use Fina as a nickname. Thank you for your thoughts!!

Cinss....I'm feeling the same way:) Thank you!
xo

Hobbermittens
January 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
I like Delphina Lilyanne! What a unique name--and beautiful! All the names are beautiful, actually, but Delphina is my favorite. :)

zanacal
January 4th, 2012, 01:51 PM
How about Lilliana as a first name? I guess you could spell that any number of ways! Lilliana Rhoslyn?

You know I love the others too!

LolaInLove
January 4th, 2012, 03:03 PM
I like Delphina Lilyanne! What a unique name--and beautiful! All the names are beautiful, actually, but Delphina is my favorite. :)

This is my fave combo too!

nuthinbutpink
January 4th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I think that is a mouthful but love the use of family names. I would call her Rosie. You do not say the full name much after the day she is born.

indigoviolet
January 4th, 2012, 03:33 PM
lilyanne is a lovely name

It will be fun to see what she looks like and see what suits her, I'm sure whatever you decide will be beautiful!

DoulaMama
January 5th, 2012, 10:53 PM
I think that is a mouthful but love the use of family names. I would call her Rosie. You do not say the full name much after the day she is born.
I really dislike Rosie as a nickname...I wish I liked it. If we name her Rhoslyn I'll most likely use her full name all the time. My third son is Harrison and I find that I use his full name more often than a nickname so it's not that big of a deal I guess. I just like having a sweet nickname that I can use :)

This is my fave combo too! Thanks Lola! I have to say that out of all the combinations, this is growing on me a lot. I like the sound of both together.

How about Lilliana as a first name? I guess you could spell that any number of ways! Lilliana Rhoslyn?

You know I love the others too! Thanks Z :HH: I'm not fond of the 'anna' at the end of the name for some reason.
Maybe it's because my MIL's full name was Lillian...and it's too close to her name, for me. I love the name Lilyanne but I would never use it as a first name as it seems to common to me. Ugh...this whole thing is so hard!!!!

Thank you Hobber! That's very sweet of you to say! It's becoming my favourite too!

purple sky
January 5th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I LOVE the name Delphina Lilyanne. It's beautiful and flows great! Actually I think all the names are pretty.

Myloves
January 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I liked the name Delphina Lillianne too.

auroara78
January 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I vote Delphina Lillianne also!

Princess of Pink
January 6th, 2012, 04:50 PM
I vote Delphina Lillianne too!!

Yuzu
January 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Gorgeous name choices! I love Delphine; it's actually on my list as well.:awe:

purplepoet20
January 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
I like Delphina Lilyanne. It has a better flow. It is a little long but with Fina as a nickname it would make it easier in the younger years.

If you want a shorter name how about Delia.

DoulaMama
January 7th, 2012, 01:22 AM
Wow! Thank you for your input, Ladies!! I really appreciate it! Can I say that I'm a bit shocked that everyone likes Delphina...! I really thought it would be too "out there" and everyone would think it was weird! LOL It makes me feel much better to know that other people feel it's a pretty name :) :HH: Thank you! I'm strongly leaning towards it for a name...now to get my hubby on board....he's liking it but not as much as some of the others.

I was looking up names the other day and I came across the name Sephina. What do you guys think???

PP- It's so weird that you mention that name because I LOVE the name Cordelia and my hubby does not :( I would call her Delia for short :HH: We'll see what happens in the next 3 months....

Belle
January 7th, 2012, 04:11 AM
I like Delphina the best it's different femine and gorgeous and I must add that I really like Sephina too. They both suit beautifully with Lilyanne. Good luck with your choices. I feel like I can't go with what we wanted years ago either. I love the name Harrison. Ooh actually maybe now that I
saying Sephina over and over I'm loving that one even more. I think an easier flow to my tongue. I love that one DoulaMama

girlmom
January 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
if its on the top 100 baby names i don't use it. i know how popular some names are and i had the top baby name for the year i was born. well every class i had there were 3 or 4 of us so we were all called by our last names. so unless you want your daughter to be called by her last name for 4 long years go with something a little more unique. it was torture for me because nobody could pronounce my last name correctly.

DoulaMama
January 7th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Isn't Delphina unique? I've never met another one in my entire life....same with Rhoslyn and Sephina....

DoulaMama
January 7th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I'm also in a conservative town in Alberta, Canada of 15,000 people so I don't think the top 100 US names apply in this situation. Plus, I homeschool ;)

Hobbermittens
January 8th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I think all the names you picked are very unique, which adds to their charm. I have heard of Rosilyn but not often, and the other names are even less well known, so I think you are in the clear! :) The thing I like about them is they have a very classic/antique feel, and remind me of the names of goddesses in Greek myths. :)

sweetsister
January 8th, 2012, 01:33 AM
So strange Delfine is on my list too ive never heard anyone like it either i thought i was the only one,my DH doesnt like it because he thinks they will be teased with dolphin but i think delfine not delfina IMO and seraphine or seraphina i :heart: too but its kind of close to my name :)

DoulaMama
January 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Updated in first post! Thanks for all your help, ladies!!

zanacal
January 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
Doula - I didn't realise that you had made the name up! Did you write a post on Nameberry because somebody had a poll on there and one of her options was Felina!!

Hobbermittens
January 22nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
I love it!! Great choice. I liked saying it aloud, too--it rolls off the tongue. I am glad you were able to find the perfect name! :)

DoulaMama
January 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
Z- I searched for it on Google after writing it down...I came up with a few sites. Some saying it was derived from feline- "cat like" or "stealthy". I found out it's a town near Barcelona, Spain. I searched Nameberry and found about 6 different pages mentioning the name but no one had really picked it for their daughter. I was so surprised it wasn't a bit more popular, tbh. I knew it had to be a name already...just wasn't sure where it came from etc. I've seen it spelled Faleena as well but I prefer Felina. It's not in my name books either. Strange. I don't think I would have come across this name just using name sites etc so I'm glad I sat down and started having fun with names:)
Thanks girls!! I'm excited to see her and be able to make sure it suits her!!

begonia
January 22nd, 2012, 02:23 PM
DM I think Felina is lovely! I don't know anyone with the name but have seen it here in the US as a brand of lingerie.

Congrats on finding a name :) It is so hard ... we're still undecided. I know you know (and many moms here know) but it gets tougher to keep coming up with yet another boy/girl name when you feel like you've already exhausted the ones you liked!

DoulaMama
January 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Lingerie!! LOL! Hilarious! Oh well...atleast it's lingerie and not a toilet cleaning company;)

Oh I hear you on the name decisions for girl/boy #3..... It was torturous with DS3:( I had zero names I liked and because we were team green, I was just hoping we wouldn't need a boys name. So for 4 days we laid around, looking at name sites, looking through books....we basically found one that we both liked, sounded ok with our 2boys, and went with it. My first is Grayson and my second is Hudson so we were torn as to whether we would continue the trend or break it. We continued it and went with Harrison....is it bad that we were watching Indiana Jones when we decided on it???LOL (His nick name is Indy).
We were also stuck on middle names(had already gone through family members that we truly love and would want to name after and there wasn't a name we like) so later that night we were watching the comedy channel....Do you know Dane Cook? Yeah...his middle name is Dane...LOL!! Poor third boy;) Now I actually love his name, so I guess it all works out:) Good luck B!!!! It'll come to you!!

LolaInLove
January 23rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
BEAUTIFUL NAME!!!!!