PDA

View Full Version : SPD

zanacal
January 4th, 2012, 01:58 PM
I am suffering! Each day my hip pain is worse and now I'm hobbling. I spoke to the midwife today and she's referred me for physio and if that doesn't help I'll look at paying for a chiropractor or osteopath or something (what's the difference anyway?!).

Does anybody have any other advice?

MatildaMai
January 4th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I had terrible SPD with my twins. Ended up buying everything for them online because I couldn't walk around the shops. I tried all the therapies. Physio works mostly on muscles/soft tissue. Osteo and chiro focus more on bones and adjustments in my experience but also do some soft tissue work. Rest is what helped the most. The other thing I used was the belly braces (velcro type belts) to support my bump and lift the weight a little. Acupuncture helped a little bit too. Good luck - its a miserable thing to suffer from with 3 little ones to have to run after.

zanacal
January 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Thank you x

The midwife said they might fit me with a support belt at my physio appointment, so even if it doesn't do a lot else it will mean I get one of those - and I can explore what else I can do myself (and what I can afford!).

MatildaMai
January 4th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I know what you mean. Def get the support belt from the physio and then I'd be saving your $$ for sitters etc to help out with the kids/chores. As rest really was the best solution. I wasn't keen on taking the pain killers (though sometimes I just had to) and phenergan worked well when the pain kept me awake at night. The physio suggested a TENS machine but I don't find them that helpful and the good ones are expensive.

Thing is with physios they usually give you exercises to do to help strengthen the muscles and prevent/alleviate the pain you have but with SPD there is basically nothing you can do. The pain is caused by the pelvic bones separating / softening of the cartilige as a result of the relaxin and every exercise I did aggravated it. Swimming, walking, pilates etc Although blobbing around in the pool felt good as it relieved some of the weight in the 3rd trimester.

Ordinarily they tell you to watch your food intake and try not to put on too much weight as that can make it worse. But bc I had twins and had lost weight due to severe MS my OB didn't recommend that I restrict my diet.

HTH - good luck!

zanacal
January 5th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Thanks again - I'm already on to the weight gain thing. Shocking moment on the scales when I checked after Christmas!!!

zanacal
January 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I've made an appointment to see an Osteopath on Monday (there were far more of these in my area than Chiropractors and this one specifically mentioned pelvic problems in pregnancy) so I hope that may help. I don't want to wait weeks for a physio appointment only to find it doesn't help anyway!

Out of the Blue
January 5th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Oh, no! Hope the appt w/the Osteopath helps...So sorry you're in so much pain, Zan! I hope you can get some relief from this soon...:HH:

nini
January 5th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I hear you! I had awful SPD from day 1 with my dd. The only thing that gave me a bit of relieve was a cranio sacrial therapy (this is part of osteopathic treatments). Other than that, rest, not lifting anything heavy (I had a heavy baby boy at home). I am petrified I will get it again, I am hoping leaving more than a year between pregnancies will make it at least not as bad....

I didnt have ANY SPD in any of my previous pregnancies, only my last. My midwife claims she sees it more and worse in girl pgs due to the hormones..

zanacal
January 5th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks nini - it sounds as though you had it far worse than I do! It's quite tricky having 3 lively boys and being restricted in my movement and in pain!

I've had such a lazy day today because it's my day off work and it feels so much easier - unfortunately that only happens once a week!