PDA

View Full Version : Average amount of eggs for a 40 yo, and odds of "good, healthy" embies?

tinksmagic
January 9th, 2012, 04:17 AM
I'm trying not to panic and worry, but what is the "average" amount of eggs retrieved by a 40 year old healthy woman using Leuvaris 75u, Lupron, and Gonal F 450u?

So far I have 5 follicles developing (we're shooting for 15..., got 11 2 years ago). Of those 11, 2 boys, 2 girls, 3 abnormal, 3 didn't grow, 1 never fertilized.

Just looking for random results so I can stop worrying so much.

nuthinbutpink
January 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
What is your e2?

I think you hope for one to transfer at 40. If you look at your clinic's odds for the 40 age group, I would just go with that and hope that you have an edge since you are not an infertility patient.

I think that a couple of years can mean a lot at that age BUT you are not an infertility patient. I hope that you get a transfer!

Sorry for the slow/non-response. Most people check the private forum on here. Please KUP though!

nuthinbutpink
January 9th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I just looked back and last cycle you had 20% "normal" with a 5 probe. I am so sorry that you lost them, but if it was due to a chromosome issue, you would not have had a transfer last time had you used the 24 chromosome test. I think you just have to hope that what you have is good quality and you get lucky with the gender split. We have seen plenty of success on here with lower numbers!

jils04
January 9th, 2012, 10:08 PM
I am 38 but had a lot of abnormals using 24 probe.you hope for one good embryo but at least y will know its chromosomally good.

MatildaMai
January 9th, 2012, 11:11 PM
I'm 38 as well. Was on exact same meds as you for my US cycle with Dr Lin and with only one ovary I had 8 follies and got 4 embryos out of that so I would think that with 2 ovaries you should get at least double!

I did better my most recent cycle without the Luveris and after a course of DHEA. Have you been taking DHEA?

Sometimes setting a number you want to achieve can be a recipe for disappointment. From what I've seen over the last few years I would say the average number of eggs retrieved is between 10-15 but that would be across all age groups. It also seems that once you get beyond the late-30s, its rare to see anyone with more than a couple of normal embryos per cycle, irrespective of how many eggs are retrieved. So you just have to hope that the gender split is in your favour. Good luck - hope it all goes to plan.

tinksmagic
January 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
As of this morning, I have 7 follicles and maybe 1 more by retrieval tomorrow. I'm actually an infertility patient, I had a thyroidectomy in 98 and was told I could no longer conceive. Imagine my surprise when we went on to have 2 more girls (took years and years of trying!) That and I've lost my right ovary due to scarring and infection during an earlier pregnancy.
I'm just so scared, I really want my boys but I want them healthy and to survive the pregnancy.
Joining Dream group tonight, thank you ladies.

tinksmagic
January 16th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Had my retrieval today (2 days later than expected) and they were able to grab 9 of the little suckers! :)

I'll know tomorrow how many fertilized and on Wednesday they go to Jersey to Reprogenics for a 5 panel test (we finally decided!!!).

Trying not to worry about it all at this point, whatever will be is pretty much already decided at this point

tinksmagic
January 23rd, 2012, 12:57 AM
I'm 38 as well. Was on exact same meds as you for my US cycle with Dr Lin and with only one ovary I had 8 follies and got 4 embryos out of that so I would think that with 2 ovaries you should get at least double!

I did better my most recent cycle without the Luveris and after a course of DHEA. Have you been taking DHEA?

Sometimes setting a number you want to achieve can be a recipe for disappointment. From what I've seen over the last few years I would say the average number of eggs retrieved is between 10-15 but that would be across all age groups. It also seems that once you get beyond the late-30s, its rare to see anyone with more than a couple of normal embryos per cycle, irrespective of how many eggs are retrieved. So you just have to hope that the gender split is in your favour. Good luck - hope it all goes to plan.

Thank you! I'm sorry that yours went the way it did, as soon as they had taken me off the crinone last time, I lost mine. My OB is fairly certain they knew he wouldn't make it so they stopped me (I never even got a due date :( )

I'm not sure what DHEA is???

Daisy Mae
January 23rd, 2012, 01:13 AM
Any updates on your PGD results?

tinksmagic
January 23rd, 2012, 02:18 AM
We got 9 eggs, 8 fertilized, 7 were sent for FISH, 5 panel. Of those we got: 1 empty nucleus, 1 low grade girl and 5 boys!!! Only 2 of those 5 were normal (the other 3 were monochromatic, 2 for 18, 1 for 21). Both boys were hatching when I did 5 day transfer on Friday. I'm still shocked we got 5 boys!!!! (wondering if hubby's maca root consumption swayed this, we got a 50/50 split last time we did PDG).

On my 2ww now, feeling it too!!! Would love both boys to take, but will be happy with 1 healthy one this time! We'll try again next year for #2.

nuthinbutpink
January 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
For 40, that's an awesome result.