PDA

View Full Version : Odds of having boys, girls, mixed gender family- old statistics thread by lindi

lindi
January 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM
If the "odds" of a family of two being 2 boys being just slightly over 25%, two girls is just slightly under 25%, and 1 boy/1 girl being just about 50%, (that's correct, right?) what are the ACTUAL population statistics?

I guess what I'm after is- is there proof that some couples are really "set" to produce one gender? If so, the boy/boy, girl/girl families would be above what the mathematical odds are, right?

Viene
January 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
I am not sure of odds or actual statistics, but I pay A LOT of attention to gender make up of families and I know of many more families of single gender than mixed. I would go as far as saying mixed gender families make up only 25-30% from my observations in the area I live.

chachamama
January 16th, 2011, 09:10 PM
I notice the gender makeup of families too - can't help myself I guess :P

I know a LOT of 2-child families that are same gendered. I see less 3-child families (since so many people stop at 2!) but I'd have to say that from my observation, I see a lot of mixed 3-child families - mostly BGG or GBB, but also BBG and GGB. I don't see as many where the opposite gender is in the middle.

atomic sagebrush
January 17th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Yes! They did study it and found that the gender ratio was NOT what should be statistically expected. That's why scientists study gender ratio, because it does deviate from what is statistically expected. (I'll delve into my papers and find the actual numbers for you.)

Shockingly, research has shown that the actual number of baby boys to girls conceived, is actually 140-160 boys for every 100 girls!! WAY, WAY more boys than girls are conceived, but so many more boys are miscarried, that at birth, the ratio is 106-100.

atomic sagebrush
January 17th, 2011, 08:47 AM
For 2-Children Families

All Boys - the real number was 25.8% (25.0% Predicted)
Mixed genders - 52.2% Actual (50.0% Predicted)
All Girls 22.0% Actual (25.0% Predicted)

So right away, you can see that it's more common to have two boys than it is 2 girls, by more than 3%!!!

3-Children Families
All Boys 14.9% Actual (12.5% Predicted)
Mixed 73.0% A (75.0% P)
All Girls 12.1% Actual (12.5% Predicted)

4-Children Families
All Boys 9.1% Actual (6.3% Predicted)
Mixed 85.4% A (87.4% P)
All Girls 5.5% Actual (6.3% Predicted)

Four boys are more common than four girls by a whopping 4%!!

And in every category, mixed gender families were less common than they technically "should" be.

lindi
January 18th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Yes! They did study it and found that the gender ratio was NOT what should be statistically expected. That's why scientists study gender ratio, because it does deviate from what is statistically expected. (I'll delve into my papers and find the actual numbers for you.)

Shockingly, research has shown that the actual number of baby boys to girls conceived, is actually 140-160 boys for every 100 girls!! WAY, WAY more boys than girls are conceived, but so many more boys are miscarried, that at birth, the ratio is 106-100.

Now THAT's crazy!! Guess those y's have a HUGE advantage gettin' to that egg!

lindi
January 18th, 2011, 05:41 PM
For 2-Children Families

So right away, you can see that it's more common to have two boys than it is 2 girls, by more than 3%!!!

3-Children Families
All Boys 14.9% Actual (12.5% Predicted)
Mixed 73.0% A (75.0% P)
All Girls 12.1% Actual (12.5% Predicted)

4-Children Families
Mixed 85.4% A (87.4% P)

And in every category, mixed gender families were less common than they technically "should" be.

Thanks! This really is fascinating. Doubling up on my sway efforts! Looks like swaying for a DD is THIS HARD for a reason!

Coccinelle33
February 27th, 2011, 04:42 PM
everyone i know has boys and girls or a boy and a girl.

TTC5
March 2nd, 2011, 07:37 PM

This is what I point out to people when they rudely tell me "poor you, 4 girls!!" I tell them no actually we are very lucky and very blessed to get 4 girls!!!!

CeeCee
April 12th, 2011, 11:34 PM
My sister had one boy and three girls after the boy. She is definitely blessed because the odds are stacked against girls.

atomic sagebrush
April 13th, 2011, 10:53 AM
This is what I point out to people when they rudely tell me "poor you, 4 girls!!" I tell them no actually we are very lucky and very blessed to get 4 girls!!!!

I agree totally! All one gender families are amazingly special!!!

purplepoet20
April 13th, 2011, 11:59 AM
A lot of people get same or mixed genders because of diet change..... my ob dr is doing a little research based on his 18 years in the OB/GYN bis! I don't know all the % and facts yet, I will update when I know.

1. Most surprise and teen pregs are girls. Because when people want to get pregnant they tend to eat healthier which results in a boy.

2. People who are treating vitamin issues (like me A/E/Iron/D) and have a surprise preg have a 90% chance at a boy.

3. People who are breastfeeding and conceive have a better chance for a girl because the nutri goes to the breastmilk first and then to the mom/baby oven. The earlier you get pregnant the higher the odds, nurser 0-6mths you have a 90% chance at a girl, 6-12mths it is about 70% chance a girl, 12-24mths 40% chance at a girl.

4. People who are "planning" on a 2nd or 3rd or whatever # will change their diet to prepare for a new baby... loosing a ton of weight from the other/s pregnancies or eating a balanced diet. All this will affect the outcome of the gender. One lady resently had a son after 9 girls because the dr told her to gain weight she was under weight.

I have been trying to look at the families lifestyle and comparing it with the swaying facts... a lot is so true about diet, vitamins, herbs, and activities.

boyjoy
April 13th, 2011, 12:38 PM

This is so sick! Every gender is a blessing, people are having so much problem to have a baby regardless of gender, how can a human being can say something like this. You said well. !

SA77
April 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM
2. People who are treating vitamin issues (like me A/E/Iron/D) and have a surprise preg have a 90% chance at a boy.

hmmm........i've been told I'm anemic in the past, I'm not taking any iron pills though. So if I am treating my anemia I am more likely to have a boy? If I am not taking my iron supps does it change anything?

purplepoet20
April 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
2. People who are treating vitamin issues (like me A/E/Iron/D) and have a surprise preg have a 90% chance at a boy. hmmm........i've been told I'm anemic in the past, I'm not taking any iron pills though. So if I am treating my anemia I am more likely to have a boy? If I am not taking my iron supps does it change anything?

If you have anemia you should be taking something for it if you plan to get pregnant because it can affect your baby... iron is very important in pregnancy - online post....

"Iron is essential for making hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to other cells. During pregnancy, the amount of blood in your body increases until you have almost 50 percent more than usual. And you need more iron to make more hemoglobin for all that additional blood. You also need extra iron for your growing baby and placenta. Unfortunately, most women start pregnancy without sufficient stores of iron to meet their body's increased demands, particularly in the second and third trimesters. If you get to the point where you no longer have enough iron to make the hemoglobin you need, you become anemic.

Your risk is even higher if you have morning sickness severe enough to cause frequent vomiting, if you've had two or more pregnancies close together, if you're pregnant with more than one baby, if you have an iron-poor diet, or if your pre-pregnancy menstrual flow was heavy.

This is why the amount of iron you need shoots up during pregnancy from 18 to 27 milligrams (mg) per day. Because it's hard to get enough iron through diet alone, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that pregnant women take a daily supplement of 30 mg of elemental iron as a preventive dose. Many prenatal supplements contain that amount.

Iron deficiency is by far the most common cause of anemia in pregnancy, but it's not the only cause. You could also develop anemia from not getting enough folic acid or vitamin B12, by losing a lot of blood, or from certain diseases or inherited blood disorders such as sickle cell disease. How does iron-deficiency anemia affect my baby's health and mine?
Your baby does a good job taking care of his iron needs – he'll get his share before you do. Still, maternal anemia can affect a baby's iron stores at birth, increasing his risk for anemia later in infancy.

Iron-deficiency anemia during pregnancy is linked to an increased risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight. It's also associated with a higher risk of stillbirth or newborn death, so it's something to take seriously.

Iron-deficiency anemia affects your health as well. It can sap your energy and make it harder for your body to fight infection. And if you're anemic later in pregnancy, you're more likely to have problems if you lose a lot of blood when you give birth. You may feel dizzy, have a rapid heart rate, or have other symptoms that require you to stay in the hospital an extra day or two. You're also more likely to need a blood transfusion. And there's research suggesting that anemia may even raise your risk of postpartum depression."

Take iron with C, D, and calcium.... if swaying boy drink a small cup of milk with the vitamins because it will help your body to absorb it.

SA77
April 13th, 2011, 02:45 PM
If you have anemia you should be taking something for it if you plan to get pregnant because it can affect your baby... iron is very important in pregnancy - online post....

"Iron is essential for making hemoglobin, the protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen to other cells. During pregnancy, the amount of blood in your body increases until you have almost 50 percent more than usual. And you need more iron to make more hemoglobin for all that additional blood. You also need extra iron for your growing baby and placenta. Unfortunately, most women start pregnancy without sufficient stores of iron to meet their body's increased demands, particularly in the second and third trimesters. If you get to the point where you no longer have enough iron to make the hemoglobin you need, you become anemic.

Your risk is even higher if you have morning sickness severe enough to cause frequent vomiting, if you've had two or more pregnancies close together, if you're pregnant with more than one baby, if you have an iron-poor diet, or if your pre-pregnancy menstrual flow was heavy.

This is why the amount of iron you need shoots up during pregnancy from 18 to 27 milligrams (mg) per day. Because it's hard to get enough iron through diet alone, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend that pregnant women take a daily supplement of 30 mg of elemental iron as a preventive dose. Many prenatal supplements contain that amount.

Iron deficiency is by far the most common cause of anemia in pregnancy, but it's not the only cause. You could also develop anemia from not getting enough folic acid or vitamin B12, by losing a lot of blood, or from certain diseases or inherited blood disorders such as sickle cell disease. How does iron-deficiency anemia affect my baby's health and mine?
Your baby does a good job taking care of his iron needs – he'll get his share before you do. Still, maternal anemia can affect a baby's iron stores at birth, increasing his risk for anemia later in infancy.

Iron-deficiency anemia during pregnancy is linked to an increased risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight. It's also associated with a higher risk of stillbirth or newborn death, so it's something to take seriously.

Iron-deficiency anemia affects your health as well. It can sap your energy and make it harder for your body to fight infection. And if you're anemic later in pregnancy, you're more likely to have problems if you lose a lot of blood when you give birth. You may feel dizzy, have a rapid heart rate, or have other symptoms that require you to stay in the hospital an extra day or two. You're also more likely to need a blood transfusion. And there's research suggesting that anemia may even raise your risk of postpartum depression."

Take iron with C, D, and calcium.... if swaying boy drink a small cup of milk with the vitamins because it will help your body to absorb it.

I actually would like a girl next time....hopefully my prenatals have the correct amount to get me up to where i need to be.

begonia
April 14th, 2011, 01:58 PM

TTC5 I love that! Lovely perspective, and an even better retort to someone's rude comment.

begonia
April 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
1. Most surprise and teen pregs are girls. Because when people want to get pregnant they tend to eat healthier which results in a boy.

I personally had a girl "surprise", and have 2 other friends, one who had 1 boy and another with 2 boys, who were "surprised" with girls. I think there is definitely something to how it happens ... ours came while I was on BCP's, so the horomones I think had something to do with it. My friends were both breastfeeding newborns.

purplepoet20
April 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
SA77 - prenatals are prefect for a balance of all vitamins.

begonia
April 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
The whole statistics thing fascinates me too. I was just going over the make-up of the families on our former street the other day. It always seems to me that I see more single gender families than mixed. So just for fun I chalked up all the families on our street...there are 14 families with kids, and 30 children on the street. Of those 30, 16 are girls and 14 are boys. Of the 14 families, ONLY 5 are same gender! The other 9 all have some combo of boy/girl, so at least on our street it certainly is the "norm" to have a mix.

It's so surprising to hear the skew of boy conceptions is so high!

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 10:17 AM

hmmm........i've been told I'm anemic in the past, I'm not taking any iron pills though. So if I am treating my anemia I am more likely to have a boy? If I am not taking my iron supps does it change anything?

If anything, anemia would make you more likely to have a girl (because low nutrients seem to sway pink) BUT we have no hard evidence that iron sways either way.

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM
I actually would like a girl next time....hopefully my prenatals have the correct amount to get me up to where i need to be.

Prenatals are not the greatest source of absorbable iron - for a TTC pink iron source, try heating cran juice in a cast iron pan - the acidity of the cran will dissolve some of the iron of the pan and this iron is more easily absorbed by your body than the iron in vitamin pills are. You can stir in some Splenda (it's prob. best not to use aspartame as I've read some stuff that makes me think it's better not to heat up aspartame) to make it even more pink friendly, or use blackstrap molasses (sways blue but has extra iron in it.)

Flava
April 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I have no idea but everyone else in my family have girls and boys only not me.

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 10:22 AM
The whole statistics thing fascinates me too. I was just going over the make-up of the families on our former street the other day. It always seems to me that I see more single gender families than mixed. So just for fun I chalked up all the families on our street...there are 14 families with kids, and 30 children on the street. Of those 30, 16 are girls and 14 are boys. Of the 14 families, ONLY 5 are same gender! The other 9 all have some combo of boy/girl, so at least on our street it certainly is the "norm" to have a mix.

It's so surprising to hear the skew of boy conceptions is so high!

It is amazing isn't it? But that is the actual number, my source is a college-level genetics textbook pub. in 2006 and I've seen it several other places in addition.

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I personally had a girl "surprise", and have 2 other friends, one who had 1 boy and another with 2 boys, who were "surprised" with girls. I think there is definitely something to how it happens ... ours came while I was on BCP's, so the horomones I think had something to do with it. My friends were both breastfeeding newborns.

My experience has also been the surprises are girls. Almost without exception. Even with women who have had4 and 5 of the same gender already. (Altho Keeley had a surprise boy after 8 girls, so who knows!!)

atomic sagebrush
April 15th, 2011, 10:26 AM
A lot of people get same or mixed genders because of diet change..... my ob dr is doing a little research based on his 18 years in the OB/GYN bis! I don't know all the % and facts yet, I will update when I know.

3. People who are breastfeeding and conceive have a better chance for a girl because the nutri goes to the breastmilk first and then to the mom/baby oven. The earlier you get pregnant the higher the odds, nurser 0-6mths you have a 90% chance at a girl, 6-12mths it is about 70% chance a girl, 12-24mths 40% chance at a girl.

4. People who are "planning" on a 2nd or 3rd or whatever # will change their diet to prepare for a new baby... loosing a ton of weight from the other/s pregnancies or eating a balanced diet. All this will affect the outcome of the gender. One lady resently had a son after 9 girls because the dr told her to gain weight she was under weight.

I have been trying to look at the families lifestyle and comparing it with the swaying facts... a lot is so true about diet, vitamins, herbs, and activities.

This is def. interesting because based on the Trivers-Willard hypothesis, I had always "expected" there to be more girls born to teen moms but when I researched it, it turns out that overall there are actually more boys.

Lydia
May 16th, 2011, 05:26 AM
This is really interesting...

queen-of-harts
May 30th, 2011, 10:46 AM
This is def. interesting because based on the Trivers-Willard hypothesis, I had always "expected" there to be more girls born to teen moms but when I researched it, it turns out that overall there are actually more boys.

Well teens tend to eat alot of fried foods,soda,candy,salty fries so i would think more boys make sense right?

atomic sagebrush
June 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Well teens tend to eat alot of fried foods,soda,candy,salty fries so i would think more boys make sense right?

Yes, but many teens are also not fully fertile/physically developed which I would expect to sway pink. They are also less likely to be in committed relationships which also sways pink for reasons we don't understand. And they don't always eat right, either.

Of course, teens that are finished with puberty would actually be at their peak of fertility and teenage boys prob have sky-high sperm counts, so it probably all averages out!

The two teen moms in our town both had boys but one was in a long-term relationship and the other was a big tough girl who just looks like she should have boys.

queen-of-harts
June 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
Speaking of how boys are mc more and die more in infancy-it really makes sense that if boys are more fragile than it would be a bad idea to give a boy to a mom who is already lacking vitamins and calories..that would be putting even more odds that a male would not survive.I love all these moments when the things everyone is saying makes perfect sense to me :)

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Exactly! And taking it further, even into adulthood, a guy who has had ample calories in childhood is going to have a way better chance to compete for a mate to hand down his genes than a guy who has never had enough food his entire life. Our genes "want" to survive, so it makes total sense that if our environment is more conducive to a daughter surviving/reproducing, that is what we'll have.

I rem. the day when I first found the Trivers Willard hypothesis...my hands started shaking and I broke out in a sweat and everything. I thought, this is it, this is the reason why all these things would work! I was freaking out for days afterwards!!! It made SO much sense whereas timing never made any sense to me at all, why would it matter?? And calcium intake did not apply to me personally so I had a hard time buying into it. Then within a month I found the Maternal Dominance Hypothesis and the blood glucose stuff and I am still in awe that no smart person has put this stuff all together yet.

zanacal
June 4th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Exactly! And taking it further, even into adulthood, a guy who has had ample calories in childhood is going to have a way better chance to compete for a mate to hand down his genes than a guy who has never had enough food his entire life. Our genes "want" to survive, so it makes total sense that if our environment is more conducive to a daughter surviving/reproducing, that is what we'll have.

I rem. the day when I first found the Trivers Willard hypothesis...my hands started shaking and I broke out in a sweat and everything. I thought, this is it, this is the reason why all these things would work! I was freaking out for days afterwards!!! It made SO much sense whereas timing never made any sense to me at all, why would it matter?? And calcium intake did not apply to me personally so I had a hard time buying into it. Then within a month I found the Maternal Dominance Hypothesis and the blood glucose stuff and I am still in awe that no smart person has put this stuff all together yet.

You're that smart person!! Seriously, if I ever did conceive a girl, her middle name would have to be Atomic :D

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 11:01 PM
:suprise: Awww! :bigsmile: That is really touching to me! (Don't worry, I won't hold you to that WHEN, not if, you conceive a girl.

zanacal
June 5th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I'll let you have faith on my behalf :happy:

TTC5
June 5th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Interesting! I had my first at 15, big suprise and had a girl. I also fell preg whilst breastfeeding DD3!! And overall, have always been a dieter and losing tonns of weight!

XXdreaming
August 12th, 2011, 03:56 PM

ugh so this is going to be harder for me to conceive a girl, I concieved a boy breastfeeding, and conceived a boy after losing 50lbs, wow i better get on the ball on my sway....

atomic sagebrush
August 13th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Most of us conceive an opposite at some point...just by virtue of getting older, you raise the odds that you'll conceive a pink bundle!

Hobbermittens
August 13th, 2011, 03:04 PM
My experience has also been the surprises are girls. Almost without exception. Even with women who have had4 and 5 of the same gender already. (Altho Keeley had a surprise boy after 8 girls, so who knows!!)

Both my girls were surprises. So was my niece, and two other friends' daughters. However, I do know a family with a surprise boy.

atomic sagebrush
August 14th, 2011, 10:34 AM
My brother was a surprise boy as well.

annabel♥lee
September 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
My sister has a surprise girl. She had an IUD!!! Apparently, it had fallen out but she never noticed. This is actually her second girl - hate to say I was sooo jealous. :(

So, I have a question about the vitamins/nutrients. I haven't changed my diet a whole lot, but I did quit taking my multivitamin. I took it religiously when I concieved both boys. Hoping that NOT taking it will sway girl??? I'm a tiny bit concerned about the folic, though, because shouldn't we have folic before conception? My attempt was last night so I'm going to start my folic today in case I concieve. I hope that's OK...

zanacal
September 5th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Yes, that's exactly right, it's best not to take the multi-vitamin as high nutrients sway blue BUT you must take the folic acid! Just buy it separately and not bundled up in a multi-vitamin.

fresas
September 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Both of my boys were surprises, too. ;)

Those are very fascinating statistics!

atomic sagebrush
September 9th, 2011, 12:14 PM
My sister has a surprise girl. She had an IUD!!! Apparently, it had fallen out but she never noticed. This is actually her second girl - hate to say I was sooo jealous. :(

So, I have a question about the vitamins/nutrients. I haven't changed my diet a whole lot, but I did quit taking my multivitamin. I took it religiously when I concieved both boys. Hoping that NOT taking it will sway girl??? I'm a tiny bit concerned about the folic, though, because shouldn't we have folic before conception? My attempt was last night so I'm going to start my folic today in case I concieve. I hope that's OK...

Yes, I agree about not taking the prenatal but you should def. take folic whether it sways pink, blue or plaid. You can continue taking it throughout your attempt even if you do not fall pg this month.

Please don't panic that you weren't taking it though, as long as you start taking it RIGHT NOW and maybe even take more like 800-1200 mg, that is fine. You do get some folic via fortified breads and pastas anyway.

atomic sagebrush
September 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, that's exactly right, it's best not to take the multi-vitamin as high nutrients sway blue BUT you must take the folic acid! Just buy it separately and not bundled up in a multi-vitamin.

:agree: Thank you Zana!

boys,boys.boys!!!
February 28th, 2012, 12:14 PM
my fisrt 2 boys were both "suprises" and i was 19 when i got pregnant with my DS1 (but both times missed/late taking my pills,) but Ds3 was planned and changed my diet but out popped another boy lol!!

atomic sagebrush
February 29th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Hi and welcome boys boys boys!

Some of us are just blue-makin' mamas! ;) Takes us a little longer to join team pink but it will happen for all of us over time. Swaying is just a way to hopefully speed that process up so none of us have to "duggar it out." :)

Lassie1982
March 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
For 2-Children Families

Great statistic! I was actually wondering this the other day, and made up a list of people i know that had a DS first, and what their second one was (i specifically looked at those that had a DS first, and ONLY have 2 children)
Out of the 10 people i personally know that had a DS first - 2 had another BOY as their second, whilst 8 had a Girl.
I take it with a grain of salt as i know that it doesn't definitely mean anything, but i like to boost my confidence with such numbers.

auroara78
March 2nd, 2012, 10:14 AM
This is very interesting thread! Although I did have two suprise boys (both were pull-outs, and really, not to be TMI, but I really, really did not suspect FOUL PLAY at all in either case!) I think for us my boy friendly diet and moderate excerise won out on the possible low-ish sperm count from the pull-out.

Also, my sister's only girl concieved (she had 4 boys after) was an opps with the condom on their honeymoon!

Kiara
April 25th, 2012, 12:51 AM

I'm sorry I don't understand the breastfeeding part. 40% chance of a girl if you are still breastfeeding when the child is 12-24 months old? That means that it is a bigger chance of a boy? Or how do you mean? I know this thread is old but I'm really curious since I am still bf my 20 months old dd.

atomic sagebrush
April 25th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'm sorry I don't understand the breastfeeding part. 40% chance of a girl if you are still breastfeeding when the child is 12-24 months old? That means that it is a bigger chance of a boy? Or how do you mean? I know this thread is old but I'm really curious since I am still bf my 20 months old dd.

This is just speculation from one person's doctor based on his personal experiences. Please don't read too much into it - while it's def. interesting and I'd love to have more observations like that from everyone's OBGYNs, we don't know how accurate it really is and why...we'd need blind side by side studies to really know for sure.

We've done tons of polls (not sure we ever did one on this site, but on IG we did several times) and people were all over the boards with BF and conception. I do think it sways pink because of biological reasons - lowers blood sugar and def. uses nutrients - but it's no magic bullet, that's for sure. Many BF have huge appetites and eat so much that they easily overcome any natural sway that BF offers and others find it impossible to lose weight while BF. Personally, my body has no qualms on shutting off breastmilk if I don't eat enough so I know for a fact that it's not always true that the nutrients go first to the breastmilk.

FWIW I conceived a boy while BF an 11 month old, and then a girl while BF a 23 month old!

Kiara
April 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM
This is just speculation from one person's doctor based on his personal experiences. Please don't read too much into it - while it's def. interesting and I'd love to have more observations like that from everyone's OBGYNs, we don't know how accurate it really is and why...we'd need blind side by side studies to really know for sure.

We've done tons of polls (not sure we ever did one on this site, but on IG we did several times) and people were all over the boards with BF and conception. I do think it sways pink because of biological reasons - lowers blood sugar and def. uses nutrients - but it's no magic bullet, that's for sure. Many BF have huge appetites and eat so much that they easily overcome any natural sway that BF offers and others find it impossible to lose weight while BF. Personally, my body has no qualms on shutting off breastmilk if I don't eat enough so I know for a fact that it's not always true that the nutrients go first to the breastmilk.

FWIW I conceived a boy while BF an 11 month old, and then a girl while BF a 23 month old!

Thank you for your answer! Im still a little bit curios about what they mean with the % though..You are 40% more likely to have a girl if you still bf when the baby is 1-2 yrs old? Or what they mean? You already have 50 % (ok 49%) of a girl and then if you bf 40% more chance? so 90% chance of a girl? haha I feel so stupid right now..

atomic sagebrush
April 26th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Thank you for your answer! Im still a little bit curios about what they mean with the % though..You are 40% more likely to have a girl if you still bf when the baby is 1-2 yrs old? Or what they mean? You already have 50 % (ok 49%) of a girl and then if you bf 40% more chance? so 90% chance of a girl? haha I feel so stupid right now..

I believe he's saying that in HIS (limited and secondhand) experience 40% of people breastfeeding at 1-2 years old conceive girls while 60% conceive boys.

One thing to keep in mind (aside from the fact that this number is just one person's experience and speculation) is that most people don't breastfeed for 1-2 years. That in and of itself is something that can skew the numbers very, very much. Kellymom reports that only between 12-18% of women in the 2000's breastfed past 12 months, and I would suspect that they are a different demographic group than those women who either did not breastfeed or only bf for a short time. Might they be more disposed to conceive boys due to lifestyle factors?? (moms who do extended BF may tend to be a little more "crunchy", possibly eating a different sort of diet, and quite probably from different socioeconomic strata, because extended BF is a luxury that women who have to return to work early, don't have) May be pure coincidence and have nothing to do with BF.

In fact, I would even suspect that women who were able to get pg shortly after having a baby (the quoted 90% girls conceived soon after giving birth while BF) may not have been EBF and may have been supplementing with formula because most people who do BF a lot, can't conceive until at least 6 months.

All these things need to be corrected for which is why, while people's experience and observations are invaluable, no one should ever despair or read too much into any randomly quoted %. Even studies all too often do not correct for variables like that.

Emily
June 20th, 2012, 07:13 AM
In fact, I would even suspect that women who were able to get pg shortly after having a baby (the quoted 90% girls conceived soon after giving birth while BF) may not have been EBF and may have been supplementing with formula because most people who do BF a lot, can't conceive until at least 6 months.

All these things need to be corrected for which is why, while people's experience and observations are invaluable, no one should ever despair or read too much into any randomly quoted %. Even studies all too often do not correct for variables like that.

HI there, I was having a chat to two mums with 12 - 18 months between children (one with two girls the other 2 boys) and they were both BF exclusively. They were told that their cases were extremely rare (but then they both go to the same playgroup so how rare is rare?). However, just wanted to put this out there - as Atomic says MOST people can't conceive but some do!

Mrs_P
July 18th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Anyone know how were doing compared with the odds generally.

IE if 9% of moms go on to have four boys are these odds any lower from gender swaying or do i just increase my chances i won't be in the 9%. It does seems out of the moms in the position that i am in those who go on to have another child after three boys most of them get their girl however there are quite regularly the odd one that doesn't. Are we beating the odds at all as a group of just following them (1 out of 10 people still get a fourth boy regardless of how great their sway is). Is there any info on the percentage of sways etc that succeed

atomic sagebrush
July 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM

IE if 9% of moms go on to have four boys are these odds any lower from gender swaying or do i just increase my chances i won't be in the 9%. It does seems out of the moms in the position that i am in those who go on to have another child after three boys most of them get their girl however there are quite regularly the odd one that doesn't. Are we beating the odds at all as a group of just following them (1 out of 10 people still get a fourth boy regardless of how great their sway is). Is there any info on the percentage of sways etc that succeed

In the studies that have been done on diet, they DO correct for those things to some extent. Some studies on diet report 85% success rates from diet alone (I'm not totally sure that this is completely accurate, but it's DEF. better than the statistics as the population as a whole report.)

Here is the link with our stats.
http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ttc-girl/8682-who-swayed-ig-who-swayed-le-pink-version.html

atomic sagebrush
October 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Just to update, the stats seem to be holding fairly steady at about 2/3 success, 1/3 opposites for girls (keeping in mind we include ALL sways and do not eliminate any). We've had a ton of success with HE Diet for boys and tho I don't have the numbers in front of me right now I would guess it's at least 80% - which is good for pink swayers to be aware of as well. Some of the blue sways that didn't work out were people who had been doing IG Diet or avoiding calcium for a long time before switching to HE.

Rosie85
October 15th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I really hope I fall into the 73% of mixed families and get my girl! My husband seems to think the third is more likely to be a girl than a boy because families are more likely to be mixed than not. I say it's still the same chance its a boy.

Mrs_P
October 15th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Rosie i definitely agree with your DH out of 5 or 6 of us with two boys when i had ds3 within a month of each other we all had a third and i was the only one who got a 3rd boy, every one else got their girl so the odds are in your favour anyway

atomic sagebrush
October 15th, 2012, 04:55 PM
There's still the same chance it's a boy but at the same time, if someone was tossing a coin and it came up heads twice, at some point it's gonna come up tails.

Rosie85
October 15th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Here is to hoping it lands tails! haha

inshaallahxx
February 7th, 2013, 11:04 PM
I was a teen parent and had a boy. My second boy was a surprise too.

Becca.lms
August 25th, 2013, 09:24 PM
But with so many people gender selecting, using IVF, swaying, etc, can any numbers be accurate? Because going to the Super market and seeing a family of two girls, two boys, a boy and a girl, who's to say they didn't sway for that?

atomic sagebrush
August 26th, 2013, 08:54 AM
agreed and these numbers are dating from before HT methods to sway gender. That really hasn't been around very long. The studies that are done on gender ratio and families are generally done with older data (which can be problematic in and of itself)

I met a lady recently who had two daughters and was pg with twin boys and I was just DYING to ask her! ;)

a&jmummy
August 26th, 2013, 09:12 AM
My friend has two girls and has just given birth to twin boys!! JEALOUS doesn't cover it ...
So I asked her " how did you do it ?" She say " I'll ask hubby " Yeah ok nah not getting to that debate again!! People are still convinced that the man determines the gender .
They look at me like a loon when I try and explain! Pfff I give up

NCBeachyGrl
March 11th, 2014, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=atomic sagebrush;4255]4-Children Families
Mixed 85.4% A (87.4% P)

[QUOTE]

So, my odds of having a DD are higher this time, but that 9% is really daunting! :eek:

atomic sagebrush
March 15th, 2014, 03:47 PM
NC, those numbers don't mean that YOU personally have any better or worse odds of having a boy or a girl, it's that across the population as a whole, it's 4% more common. That's all. You personally may have had an 80% chance at a girl...those numbers are really impossible to extrapolate to individuals.

jmomof3girls
June 20th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I must say.... I know plenty of people that have only 2 boys or 2 girls but I'm the only one I know that has 3 of 1 gender! I sure do get plenty of comments from people at the store saying "wow all girls" I love it. Also, just thought I'd add my grandmother had 3 girls then a boy and her mother had 4 girls then a boy. Family thing maybe? Lol who knows?

atomic sagebrush
June 22nd, 2014, 11:48 AM
The data does not support the idea that gender runs in families - at least not in a genetically heritable way. Now, families do often tend to have similar lifestyles...

jmomof3girls
June 23rd, 2014, 02:28 AM
That's good to know!

1+2+3boys
October 3rd, 2014, 09:14 PM
Amazing! So I am statistically more likely to get a girl next time. Still too scared to try naturally at this stage!

2boysJustOneGirl
October 4th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Finally found this thread! Yay!!!

atomic sagebrush
October 8th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Amazing! So I am statistically more likely to get a girl next time. Still too scared to try naturally at this stage!

No hun, that's not what those numbers mean. It means across the entire population that is what the statistical average is. It says NOTHING about what your personal chances of a girl would be. You may be more likely to have a girl or you may be more likely to have a boy. You can't extrapolate those numbers t you as an individual.

2boysJustOneGirl
October 8th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I am not a mathematician but I do believe that the probability of having a girl can be determined based on those statistics? Maybe that is what 1+2+3 boys meant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
October 9th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I am not a mathematician but I do believe that the probability of having a girl can be determined based on those statistics? Maybe that is what 1+2+3 boys meant?

No, they can't be determined by those numbers, because some of those people may have (just pulling numbers out of thin air) 100% chance of a girl, some may have 0% chance of a girl. Across the entire population, it's just the general average but it doesn't mean that everyone has the same odds.

2boysJustOneGirl
October 9th, 2014, 01:23 PM
That's true, there are too many variables to consider.

Mcooper1314
November 12th, 2014, 01:05 PM
I have been told several times that since I have two girls my chances of having another girl is very high and I most likely will have a third girl. I don't know how many people have told me my third WILL be a girl. I have even had psychics tell me this. SO reading this am I more likely to have a boy then a girl or am I reading this wrong?

atomic sagebrush
November 16th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Yes M, according to research the odds of having a boy go UP over time and that is at least in part because there is ALWAYS a slightly higher chance of a boy than a girl. Depending on the country you live in, there are anywhere from 102-107 boys conceived for every 100 girls. (average about 51/52%/48/49%)

So in order to have girl after girl, you have to in essence "beat the odds" (even if only just a little) several times in a row.

1+2+3boys
January 31st, 2015, 02:52 AM
No, they can't be determined by those numbers, because some of those people may have (just pulling numbers out of thin air) 100% chance of a girl, some may have 0% chance of a girl. Across the entire population, it's just the general average but it doesn't mean that everyone has the same odds.

I think I am starting to understand. I know these stats do not really mean anything for someone personally but I think people still like to know 'their' chances. If you put 10 pregnant women in a room who all have two boys then most should have a girl next but it is impossible to tell tell which one(s). That probably still is not right either, never mind lol. I am just starting to think about swaying again instead of HT and I like to think my chances of a girl this time are higher since my boys were conceived when my life was a natural big boy sway and now it is in the middle but I plan to tilt the odds more and that the girl sways on this forum are in the 70%s. I know it is impossible to come up with your personal percentage chance at the other gender though. I like the heads and tails comment. A tail has to come up sooner or later!

Mum4life
February 1st, 2015, 04:09 AM
So in my close family i am the only one with all of the same gender. My mother had GBGG, my sisters and brother had mixed genders. (oldest sis, BGB, brother, BGGB and my other sis BBGGB). My paternal grandparents had 3 boys, maternal grandparents had BGB.I am my fathers only child- a girl. Now his brother also had one child-a girl. Now my MIL also had 3 boys, and my BIL and his wife have 2 children-GB. I can't help that feel as though my all of the same genders are hereditary. I look at these statistics and think tails surely has to come up next doesn't it? lol...

atomic sagebrush
February 1st, 2015, 03:27 PM
I think I am starting to understand. I know these stats do not really mean anything for someone personally but I think people still like to know 'their' chances. If you put 10 pregnant women in a room who all have two boys then most should have a girl next but it is impossible to tell tell which one(s). That probably still is not right either, never mind lol. I am just starting to think about swaying again instead of HT and I like to think my chances of a girl this time are higher since my boys were conceived when my life was a natural big boy sway and now it is in the middle but I plan to tilt the odds more and that the girl sways on this forum are in the 70%s. I know it is impossible to come up with your personal percentage chance at the other gender though. I like the heads and tails comment. A tail has to come up sooner or later!

Look at the overall success rates for this site with swaying and NOT the general population.

Gender ratio is NOT a coin flip. It is happening for biological reasons and so you have to put the idea of coin flips to the back of your mind. I just cringe when I see anyone assume because they have 2,3,4 boys already, that they're somehow guaranteed a girl next. You could be one of these people The Arndt Family (http://famteam.com/meet-the-family/) and there are also people with many daughters as well. So if you put several of those families in a room, and average that out, you could easily get 50-50 odds or nearly so but it is obvious a family with 14 kids and only one of them a girl does NOT have 50-50 odds at girls and boys, you know?? The results of the population say NOTHING about what you the individuals chances are.

SpicyTunaSushi
March 2nd, 2015, 05:09 PM
Just chiming in, in my case, we are team green (sometimes I am dying to know, sometimes I don't care) for a blue sway. The boy stats are good (there are 2 opposites that aren't listed I have tried asking to add, but haven't been added). But, at this point, since 2014 conceptions are done, if I get a boy, then the stats would be 76%. There are about 4-5 unknowns right now, and 3 of those are people who never reported back.

I just feel like my chances are low (even though I think I had a strong sway) since there must be some opposites. Can someone encourage me from this logic? It's hard to believe I'll be the one to get a boy because so many others have already in the 2014.

nuthinbutpink
March 2nd, 2015, 05:16 PM
Just chiming in, in my case, we are team green (sometimes I am dying to know, sometimes I don't care) for a blue sway. The boy stats are good (there are 2 opposites that aren't listed I have tried asking to add, but haven't been added). But, at this point, since 2014 conceptions are done, if I get a boy, then the stats would be 76%. There are about 4-5 unknowns right now, and 3 of those are people who never reported back.

I just feel like my chances are low (even though I think I had a strong sway) since there must be some opposites. Can someone encourage me from this logic? It's hard to believe I'll be the one to get a boy because so many others have already in the 2014.

PM me with the opposites and I will get them added. Thanks

nuthinbutpink
March 2nd, 2015, 05:21 PM
A coin toss isn't even 50/50. Gender certainly isn't.

atomic sagebrush
March 3rd, 2015, 10:57 AM

I will add them to the 2014 thread (was hoping someone else would and save me the time but I"ll do it) http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-your-boy-sway-/39053-swayed-boy-2014-we-having.html but we cannot add them to the spreadsheet if they didn't fill out the paperwork. I know it's a namby-pamby BS way of doing things but it has to be that way or else we are not keeping accurate stats.

FWIW I think you are putting WAYYY too much stress on these (as you point out) totally self-reported numbers - although I must mention that while they were self-reported, the vast majority of them had their name up on the list BEFORE they found out gender so not as self-reported as all that. There are several people who swayed privately, heard blue, and have not posted their data. Many blue swayers in particular want to maintain their privacy. I think the numbers in the 2014 thread are quite representative of what you can expect.

What is not represented in the stats and what I HATE to even mention, because I hate to even play that game but I feel like I have to point it out here, is that some of the people who have gotten opposites (not necessarily in the 2014 thread, but just overall with my Custom Sways) are people who had some kind of complicating factor such as smoking by DH, male-factor infertility, had trouble getting pregnant, and so on. There is always more going on behind the scenes than you guys can see on your end and I just want to mention again that no one is more motivated than me at getting the highest number of ladies their DG as safe and fast as possible. I don't want to be "right", I want you guys to get your DG, and there are times when focusing on the stats is not helpful or conducive to gleaning the most accurate info. If someone told me tomorrow wth reliable scientific evidence that cranberries were a magic blue bullet I'd be having everyone eat cranberries - even if it made me look like a total a-hole LOL. :)

atomic sagebrush
March 3rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
I only saw one blue sway opposite that had not been added to the 2014 thread (the other two you mentioned had been added) I added that, and then realized that a blue sway success from yesterday also had not been added - net result, no change in %.

I really think the numbers in the 2014 thread are pretty indicative of what the chances are.

atomic sagebrush
March 3rd, 2015, 11:10 AM
Adding the link for anyone who is now confused. :) http://genderdreaming.com/forum/add-your-boy-sway-/39053-swayed-boy-2014-we-having.html

nuthinbutpink
March 3rd, 2015, 11:48 AM
We keep the stats to become aware of trends- too much calcium sways boy, frequency sways more than timing, etc. The stats show our advice works!! We show that if you change your lifestyle, follow our strategy, you CAN sway your odds. You'll never be able to compare the results by individual because everyone is starting from a different place! No two people are alike thus no two sways can be alike.

Hope is not a strategy. Our plans have a very specific, scientific strategy and they work. If you are looking for 100%, go HT.

atomic sagebrush
March 3rd, 2015, 12:03 PM
:agree: EXACTLY! I sometimes feel like people use the stats against us as if we're in a court of law but honestly, the reason we keep them is for the overall trends and NOT the success rates - because the truth is, those of us on this site are very very very likely coming into TTC with much WORSE odds at our DG than the average person walking around out there. In that case, those of us with 3-4-5 B or G to start out with - 50-50 would actually be AN IMPROVEMENT. AFter I got 4 boys over the course of 20 years I was like, heck, I'll TAKE 50-50 and the coin flip at that point, because it's way better than what I probably had to start out with, YK??

Eventually every one of us, if we were to "Duggar it out" would get an opposite doing nothing at all. All we are trying to do with swaying, is make that happen a little sooner instead of a little later, because there are families like this out there (or their female equivalent) The Arndt Family (http://famteam.com/meet-the-family/) Going from 80% likely to have a girl or boy to 50% likely is STILL an improvement. That we are getting about 75% for boys, 65% for girls, with a pretty safe and easy set of sway tactics, and this number has stayed pretty consistent over time, is HUGE!!

belleboi
March 3rd, 2015, 12:10 PM

You know I was right there with you a few weeks ago. I had seen blue swayer after blue swayer get their boys and thought to myself, there is NO way I can get mine as well if everyone else got theirs. It's flawed logic, but sometimes we can't help the way we feel.

FWIW, I do have a little boy in there now, and I think you can too. We aren't "going against" anyone else. We swayed, sometimes heavily, sometimes mildly and that only affects our own chance, not any one else's. I know it's easy for me to say that now that I know...but just to reiterate, I know EXACTLY how you feel. big hugs!

SpicyTunaSushi
March 3rd, 2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks belleboi. I am so glad you got your little man! And, I was thinking of you and there is one other DGer that has expressed these same thoughts (pretty sure I have seen a pink swayer say the same thing recently but I don't know them as well so can't recall who).

Atomic- I think it is helpful to have this discussion and helpful that you emphasize that it is for trends and not for exact stats. I have participated in studies before and they are so desperate for people to commit all the way through, no matter what the results, to get good data. I don't want to get into a debate about the accuracy of the stats, but since we are approaching the end of the 2014 swayers, it creates this artificial deadline that a certain number of successes (and opposites) should be achieved by the end of the year. If I had results coming in February 15, then there is less pressure, because you think it could balance out by Dec 15. If I looked at dates between (and I won't obsess and do this) July 2013- July 2014, I might see a slightly lower or higher number than 75%, but, they do show overall trends, esp with those who have multiple of one gender.

I do think that the TW theory makes so much sense and is founded in evolutionary science and that is why I am here. Also, following HE tactics made me more fertile (loads of ewcm), higher drive, and easy conceptions. IG just seems like a compilation of OWTs (I've done an IG sway too and felt sick and took 3 cycles to conceive- my longest ever).

I don't want to be obsessive which is why Team Green is hard. I wish my DH wanted to know that way I could just be content with the outcome. I think I'll use this thread and conversation to rest the case and watch the outcome.

Pebbles&BamBam
March 4th, 2015, 12:24 PM
:agree: EXACTLY! I sometimes feel like people use the stats against us as if we're in a court of law but honestly, the reason we keep them is for the overall trends and NOT the success rates - because the truth is, those of us on this site are very very very likely coming into TTC with much WORSE odds at our DG than the average person walking around out there. In that case, those of us with 3-4-5 B or G to start out with - 50-50 would actually be AN IMPROVEMENT. AFter I got 4 boys over the course of 20 years I was like, heck, I'll TAKE 50-50 and the coin flip at that point, because it's way better than what I probably had to start out with, YK??

Eventually every one of us, if we were to "Duggar it out" would get an opposite doing nothing at all. All we are trying to do with swaying, is make that happen a little sooner instead of a little later, because there are families like this out there (or their female equivalent) The Arndt Family (http://famteam.com/meet-the-family/) Going from 80% likely to have a girl or boy to 50% likely is STILL an improvement. That we are getting about 75% for boys, 65% for girls, with a pretty safe and easy set of sway tactics, and this number has stayed pretty consistent over time, is HUGE!!

We had a discussion about stats at work not that long ago, and although stats can be helpful, people often use data to either comfort themselves or stress themselves out. We see it all the time, so i feel your pain! The discussion had to do with a little girl with a heart problem, the parents were very concerned about some of her numbers, but the Dr reassured them, although the numbers help provide a point in time and a history, there is always way more to the story that needs to be examined. He went on to explain, the girl seems fine, her vitals are fine, the overall picture is positive. The dr then went on to explain that people use data in ways that suit them best to create overall comfort or anxiety, (in this case, the little girl could have had amazing numbers but be in the ICU, in which case the parents would have comfort in her numbers and not looked at the other factors, i.e. her health and the fact she was in the ICU).

We also see this with other patients, who are ecstatic that their blood pressure is normal and this equate that with lower to know risk of having a heart attack even though they weight 300+lbs..you are still at risk, there is more to the story then just the bp.

I try to remember this with any type of data, it can provide an indication of something but it never paints the whole picture and certainly does not translate how individual situations will result :-)

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Thanks belleboi. I am so glad you got your little man! And, I was thinking of you and there is one other DGer that has expressed these same thoughts (pretty sure I have seen a pink swayer say the same thing recently but I don't know them as well so can't recall who).

Atomic- I think it is helpful to have this discussion and helpful that you emphasize that it is for trends and not for exact stats. I have participated in studies before and they are so desperate for people to commit all the way through, no matter what the results, to get good data. I don't want to get into a debate about the accuracy of the stats, but since we are approaching the end of the 2014 swayers, it creates this artificial deadline that a certain number of successes (and opposites) should be achieved by the end of the year. If I had results coming in February 15, then there is less pressure, because you think it could balance out by Dec 15. If I looked at dates between (and I won't obsess and do this) July 2013- July 2014, I might see a slightly lower or higher number than 75%, but, they do show overall trends, esp with those who have multiple of one gender.

I do think that the TW theory makes so much sense and is founded in evolutionary science and that is why I am here. Also, following HE tactics made me more fertile (loads of ewcm), higher drive, and easy conceptions. IG just seems like a compilation of OWTs (I've done an IG sway too and felt sick and took 3 cycles to conceive- my longest ever).

I don't want to be obsessive which is why Team Green is hard. I wish my DH wanted to know that way I could just be content with the outcome. I think I'll use this thread and conversation to rest the case and watch the outcome.

So mentally speaking, let's call it a 2-year project. Instead of looking at it as "there is this imposed deadline at the end of 2014" let's imagine that we're instead keeping stats for 2014-2015 and there would still be time for the pinkies to make a comeback and you still get your boy. :)

I have heard tons of people go through this exact same thing and been through it myself twice and it just doesn't amount to anything. the year I got my 4th son (who arrived on Dec. 2009 so lots of time to watch girl after girl after girl arrive LOL) I felt like there weren't any girls left and I did get a boy. But then in 2012 when my daughter was born, the exact same thing happened, even more so. Tons of girls everywhere I looked and even people who wanted boys were getting girls LOL - but she was still a girl despite all that.

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2015, 03:26 PM
I think you should order this shirt! Never Tell Me the Odds T-Shirt | TV & Movie Tees | 6 Dollar Shirts (http://6dollarshirts.com/t-shirts/Never-Tell-Me-the-Odds-T-Shirt-p-12679.html)

SpicyTunaSushi
March 4th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Ha! You are awesome, Atomic.

Nann3r
July 7th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Just chiming in as well.. Atomic we kind of touched on this in previous posts.. But regarding breast feeding and conceiving--

I stopped breastfeeding in mid May. And we are planning on conceiving in October. Just from your knowledge or anyone else's experiences, will this be a problem or hinder my swaying for a boy??? I will say that my diet has taken a 180degree turn. When I conceived my girl, I ate fruits and milk, no red meat, almost no veggies, low carbs, low sodium, low fat.. And NOW I eat pretty much only red meats, high protein, high carb, high fat (animal fat, avocado, real butter and olive oil etc) salt everything, alkaline foods like spinach and avocados DAILY as well as TONS of vitamins and prenatals.. It's like night and day difference!!! ALL that being said, will conceiving only 7-8 month postpartum (not BFing) be an issue I should worry about??

Nann3r
July 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Oh and to clarify, I'm doing alkaline foods as they are healthier for you as well as create a less acidic and more alkaline environment for sperm in general.. Not just the boy spermies since being alkaline doesn't have much to do with solely one sperm gender.

atomic sagebrush
July 8th, 2015, 06:29 PM
From May to October, you have nothing to worry about with the breastfeeding.. I wouldn't even give it another thought. Any pink effects will be long gone by then. I do think close conceptions sway pink but no magic bullet to be sure and

It's fine to do alkaline foods if you believe in them (I don't) as long as you aren't basing your whole sway diet on that. There are some people who will cut out red meat even because it's supposedly "acidifying"

Define lots of vitamins and prenatals - more is not always better.

When you say salt, tell me more about this. This is one of those things I do not believe the old-school stuff has right, and I have seen TONS of girls conceived to the people treating Top Ramen as a dietary staple. Salt your food to taste and please don't forcefeed yourself salt, you're only hurting your sway and your helath.

Nann3r
July 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM
Right now I take a multivit, vit D, potassium, grape seed, b12, folic acid, fish oil and a general prenatal vitamin. And then other supps I'm taking that don't have much to do with swaying are wheat grass, cassava and CLA. I've never been a vit/supplement person so it seems like a lot to me!

As far as salting, I don't use copious amounts of salt now. I just salt in general for meats and eggs etc. I used to avoid salt like it was toxic. So I'm just salting as the average person salts I guess haha if that could even be measured anyways.

Nann3r
July 8th, 2015, 07:40 PM
And I'm just switching to a more alkaline diet for its health benefits more than anything. But since I've started actually burnishing my body, my cm has completely changed! -on a side note..

It's 100% more copious and ewcm near and/or over ovulation!! IVE NEVER HAD THIS MUCH CM!!! That has to be a good sign anyways that my body is actually getting nourished since this is what was supposed to be happening.. Tmi :) I'm just kind of excited about it!

atomic sagebrush
July 8th, 2015, 07:53 PM
:agree: then that's all good! I sometimes hear horror stories when people say they're eating or taking lots of things so I always try to ask. :)

Multivitamin and prenatal though - over 100% DRV??? I would have you do one or the other

Nann3r
July 8th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Yeah sodium in excess is not good what so ever for your body.. It's hard for me to use it at all really but I'm growing kind of addicted to saltier foods. I used to crave sweets and fruits. Now that I've cut a good chunk of sugars out just from doing more veggies and meats, I don't crave it like I used to. Weird.. But yeah I used to be dry as a bone down there! In fact I never wear underwear, I hate it.. But I was able to cuz I had little to no cm.. Now??? I may have to consider wearing underwear again!!! I do take both. I'd have to read the labels but I'm sure they're both 100% drv.. Is there one that is more boy friendly than the other? They're both generic as well. Kirkland brand for the multi and hyvee brand for the prenatal.

atomic sagebrush
July 11th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Well, just to share TMI but I can't stand not wearing underwear due to discharge (I sometimes get EWCM starting as early as CD 3 or 4 and going thru a couple days after O) and I do have 4 boys so who knows, maybe something to that.

Can you post a link? I don't have all the kinds of vitamins memorized, unfortunately. :) I don't think you need to take both and in fact probably shouldn't.

Nann3r
July 11th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Maybe yes! Right now I don't have to worry about underwear until maybe 4 days prior to O and 2 days after O. But during those dose its ridiculous! I feel like I'm on my period but it's just discharge! So crazy.

I'll get links to my prenatals and vitamins you'll have to let me know what you recommend! :)

Nann3r
July 11th, 2015, 03:10 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/6c43a46f60aa5598be37a1405cee85f7.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/47f5b85d54bdae02019be2917e9ac2df.jpg

This is my multivitamin.

Nann3r
July 11th, 2015, 03:12 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/11/1637c1f55cdc39c0329ee7ba101052fb.jpg

This is my prenatal.

The multi def has more to it.. Maybe that's the better option?

atomic sagebrush
July 14th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Oh gosh please stop one or the other right away!!

Honestly, I would prefer you continue the prenatal because the Vit A level in the other one is quite high (esp. since you were taking both) and beta carotene is safer than non-beta carotene.

Do not drink any wheatgrass, carrot, or tomato juice either. I want that Vit. A to go down a little between now and Oct. If at that point you want to restart hte Kirklands you can but let's get that Vit. A down a bit.

Oh and no cod liver oil.

Nann3r
July 14th, 2015, 03:19 PM
So prenatal, folic acid, b12, grape seed and potassium. Am I missing anything??

atomic sagebrush
July 15th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Take extra folic acid or folate (2000 mcg) and extra D (1000 IU total) The grapeseed and potassium are ok.

YOu already have 100% B12 in your prenatal so no need to take more unles you have a documented shortage.

I would have you also on a probiotic if you aren't already.

Nann3r
July 15th, 2015, 08:26 PM
So will the folate absorb okay with only 100% b12? Since my salt intake has increased since DD ?? I mean like I said it's not in excess.. Just more than I'm used to. I'll look into probiotics

atomic sagebrush
July 15th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Yes, it will still absorb and you will also be getting plenty on HE Diet.

No one needs 300% B12 unless they are deficient.

Throwaway_panther
January 23rd, 2016, 12:44 PM
Late to the game here, but statistics of gender ratio is such a fascination of mine.

It DOES show the actual number of mixed families at 2-kid is ABOVE predicted amounts, so I don't know if that was mentioned somewhere else in the thread (since I skipped ahead to reply).

I'm one of three girls, and the entire generation of my maternal grandmother's family (so, my mom's generation on that side), had the following family dynamics: BG BG GG GGG GGG GGGG G (my immediate family is one of those GGG sets). Lots of girls; I have felt "doomed" to only ever have girls because of it (though now amongst this generation, the progeny so far is: GB B BB BB G (I'm the single G so far). One of those BB sets is a cousin who had IVF for both of her boys.

My husband, though, comes from a family of BBBG. All the Bs were conceived close together, and the first B was conceived after SIX years of infertility, failed IVF, etc. (back in the 70s).

Long story short: anecdotally, I feel I DO know many more mixed gender families than I do know same gender, even amongst my own family... it's just looking like, statistically, me and my generation of cousins were a huge anomaly?!

Throwaway_panther
January 23rd, 2016, 12:49 PM
Yeah sodium in excess is not good what so ever for your body.. It's hard for me to use it at all really but I'm growing kind of addicted to saltier foods. I used to crave sweets and fruits. Now that I've cut a good chunk of sugars out just from doing more veggies and meats, I don't crave it like I used to. Weird.. But yeah I used to be dry as a bone down there! In fact I never wear underwear, I hate it.. But I was able to cuz I had little to no cm.. Now??? I may have to consider wearing underwear again!!! I do take both. I'd have to read the labels but I'm sure they're both 100% drv.. Is there one that is more boy friendly than the other? They're both generic as well. Kirkland brand for the multi and hyvee brand for the prenatal.

I sent you a friend request because you and I are in (or at least, I soon will be) in the same boat!! Good luck to you!

atomic sagebrush
January 23rd, 2016, 02:54 PM
Late to the game here, but statistics of gender ratio is such a fascination of mine.

It DOES show the actual number of mixed families at 2-kid is ABOVE predicted amounts, so I don't know if that was mentioned somewhere else in the thread (since I skipped ahead to reply).

I'm one of three girls, and the entire generation of my maternal grandmother's family (so, my mom's generation on that side), had the following family dynamics: BG BG GG GGG GGG GGGG G (my immediate family is one of those GGG sets). Lots of girls; I have felt "doomed" to only ever have girls because of it (though now amongst this generation, the progeny so far is: GB B BB BB G (I'm the single G so far). One of those BB sets is a cousin who had IVF for both of her boys.

My husband, though, comes from a family of BBBG. All the Bs were conceived close together, and the first B was conceived after SIX years of infertility, failed IVF, etc. (back in the 70s).

Long story short: anecdotally, I feel I DO know many more mixed gender families than I do know same gender, even amongst my own family... it's just looking like, statistically, me and my generation of cousins were a huge anomaly?!

My grandma is one of 6 girls and 2 boys (the two boys were the youngest only after all the girls were born). In the following generations there were some families with all girls, some with all boys, some with blends. My husband's dad is one of 5 boys, 1 girl, and again it's been a blend in the successive generations. I know it's easy to go back and look for "genes" or whatever but it simply doesn't work that way. There are not "boy genes" or "girl genes". Genes are weirdly smart, and the smartest move for them to make is NOT to link themselves to one gender only, but to be flexible and stick with whatever gender offspring has the best chance of surviving to pass down genes in the future based on cues from the environment.

Throwaway_panther
January 23rd, 2016, 09:39 PM
My grandma is one of 6 girls and 2 boys (the two boys were the youngest only after all the girls were born). In the following generations there were some families with all girls, some with all boys, some with blends. My husband's dad is one of 5 boys, 1 girl, and again it's been a blend in the successive generations. I know it's easy to go back and look for "genes" or whatever but it simply doesn't work that way. There are not "boy genes" or "girl genes". Genes are weirdly smart, and the smartest move for them to make is NOT to link themselves to one gender only, but to be flexible and stick with whatever gender offspring has the best chance of surviving to pass down genes in the future based on cues from the environment.

Oh yeah, I don't think it's necessarily a gene thing so much as me dealing with my own anxieties about it that make me feel "doomed" for only girls. It's just interesting statistically to note large families with same sexes all the way down, because most findings seem to point to that being pretty uncommon!

atomic sagebrush
January 26th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah, I don't think it's necessarily a gene thing so much as me dealing with my own anxieties about it that make me feel "doomed" for only girls. It's just interesting statistically to note large families with same sexes all the way down, because most findings seem to point to that being pretty uncommon!

Take this for what it is worth, but I have talked to probably 100K women over the years and you "talk like a boy mom" if that helps at all. :)

Throwaway_panther
January 27th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Take this for what it is worth, but I have talked to probably 100K women over the years and you "talk like a boy mom" if that helps at all. :)

Hahah! Thank you -- this just put a smile on my face (and I've always FELT like a boy mom, hence all of my anxieties with having a girl first!).