PDA

View Full Version : article

my4leafclover
January 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Study finds no better odds using 3 embryos in IVF - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/study-finds-no-better-odds-using-3-embryos-061149807.html)

Ok I have heard this before but doesn't it some how seem like an oxymoron:

"A new study of fertility treatment found that women who get three or more embryos have no better odds of having a baby than those who get just two embryos.
They also have a greater chance of risky multiple births.

Maybe I am having a ditzy moment but to me it is like saying you have a greater risk of having multiples but at the same time you don't have a higher chance of getting pregnant. Is there a variable that they are not measuring?

begonia
January 12th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I think it makes sense. Obviously greater numbers of embryos would lead to a greater risk of multiple births. That to me is like saying if you put sugar on something it gets sweeter.

The other bit is just saying that, from what I gather from the article, the actual live birth rate does not increase based on the number of embryos put back. 3 embryos does not yield a higher live birth rate than 2.

nuthinbutpink
January 12th, 2012, 09:44 PM
The average pregnancy rate is just not better. No fertile woman(assuming they are doing IVF for GS) should ever transfer 3 embryos. It's not responsible at all.

atomic sagebrush
January 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Maybe I am missing something but when I read that, i don't think it's talking about PREGNANCY rates, I think it's talking about BIRTH rates. Like, your odds of taking home a living baby at the end of the process. Nothing about odds of pg, this is odds of coming out of it with a living baby.

As in, people put in 3 embryos and conceive triplets (or even more if one splits) and either a)do selective reduction or b)lose babies somewhere along the way :( and that overall, it doesn't GAIN you anything to put in 3 embryos at a time, because at the end of the day, your odds of a healthy baby are no better, plus you undertake all the risks involved in possibly conceiving triplets, having to decide/undergo SR, etc.

Wanting a daughter
January 13th, 2012, 11:51 PM
The opening sentence is a bit misleading. They are actually talking about the number of embies you transfer, not how many you get. Obviously more embies = more chances of transfer = more chances of a pregnancy.

my4leafclover
January 14th, 2012, 01:57 PM
ok, Live birth rate. That makes sense.