PDA

View Full Version : Who else has a kid with gender desire?

begonia
January 12th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Who else has an older child who desperately wanted a specific gender sibling? It's so hard to see my DD1 bummed about this! She really wanted a brother. With DD2, DD1 was too little to really have a preference. And they get along well, but DD1 is very much a tomboy and really wanted a brother to play with ... she was all excited to teach him about Batman and give him her old superhero shirts, LOL. When we went to pick out a blanket for the new baby yesterday she kept asking if we could just get a blue one, because maybe this girl will be a tomboy like her :)

It's actually surprised me because until we told her we were having another she really never expressed any disappointment with having a sister, or any desire for a little brother. But now that we're having another girl, she's asking if we can please have a boy next. 'Cause it's that easy :rofl:

Anyhow, I am SURE there are others whose kids have some gender desire too. How are you handling it? Did your kids move on after the birth or keep bringing it up?

TTC5
January 12th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Yes me.
When pregnant with our 3rd my then 8 year old cried her eyes out in the scan room when they told us it was a girl :(

It broke my heart :(

Hobbermittens
January 12th, 2012, 06:43 PM
DS really wanted a brother with our 3rd. He kept saying the baby was a boy before we found out gender, and he was a little disappointed when we said he was getting a baby sister, but he got over it quickly, and he loves his baby sister now. But he has been asking for a brother off and on ever since. He even picked out a name--Dexter--and has asked when his brother is coming (he has NO IDEA we are planning a 4th or trying for a boy).

As for your DD... I was an over-the-top tomboy (hated dresses, wouldn't touch dolls, couldn't stand anything girly) and as a child most of my friends were boys; now they are mostly women. And even though I have a brother, I am closer to my sister now (I haven't talked to my brother in a year, but I talk to my sister weekly). I guess my point is, she will be fine with sisters, no matter how much of a tomboy she is!

nuthinbutpink
January 12th, 2012, 09:40 PM
When we found out about DD 3, DD1 was 5 and she said "we already have enough girls". It stung. She said she wanted a boy, etc and then once she was here, never a mention. AFTER having DS, the same DD1 has asked why he is a boy and if we are going to have another baby because she wants ANOTHER GIRL! Kids are fickle and they ARE just kids and have no clue what they are talking about!

She will get past it. DD3 is a joy in our home and she makes all of us smile. My DD1 is a tomboy too, or she tries really hard to be!

begonia
January 12th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Awww, TTC5 ... that IS hard! Especially because I know DD3 was your toughest GD too. Did she do better with DD4?

Thanks Hobber and NBP! I figured I was not at all the only person to have this issue. I think she'll move on when the baby arrives. Part of what seems to stir it up for her is ultrasounds, and I've had more this pregnancy. Every time I have one (like today) DD1 always asks if it is still a girl. I think some of it is the concept of the gender being set in stone hasn't hit her, and once DD3 is here she will understand better that this isn't going to change.

Cinss
January 13th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I have talked to SD1 and SD2 about having another baby, and they both told me to get a boy next because they don't have a brother. They have my DD as a half sister and they have 2 other step sisters.

fivebabies
January 13th, 2012, 12:27 PM
It can be so sad. :(

I was told at 18 weeks that baby #4 was a girl and my DD was soooo excited to be getting a sister after having 2 big brothers that don't want to play with her since she likes such girlie stuff...well, we had another u/s at 22 weeks and they told us it was a BOY instead...DD was there and was soooo sad. She cried and was super mad at the tech. She is so sick of being the only girl!...I don't blame her.

She adores her baby brother and they play together alot but I still hear her praying for a baby sister all the time. Poor kid.

auroara78
January 13th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Ahh five babies, that's heartbreaking! Hopefully you can give her a baby sister still :)

My oldest keeps telling he doesn't want another brother, or as he keeps emphasising to me: "NO MORE Evans, please, don't want another Evan!" (DS2)...he doesn't want another baby period, (he is only 4, so he wasn't happy when Evan came along, they have a 3 + age gap), but now he tells me if we *must* have a baby (he is really becoming bossy out of nowhere?) that it HAS to be a baby sister. So here's hoping, but I know he won't be immedialetly crazy about another brother, but I'm sure he'll be fine after a while if the baby is a boy.

fivebabies
January 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Love how they think we chose what we have! LOL

angel-pink
January 13th, 2012, 05:44 PM
yes my 9 year old wants a sister so badly and I feel awful because I feel like I let him down when I say it's a boy 3 more times

Muls
January 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Yep I'm hearing ya, my DS1 desperately wants a sister so when we had our scan on thursday and were told it's another boy he was very upset. He said 'mum can a fairy bring us another baby but a girl one' I didn;t know what to say but he doesn't ask about the baby much now. He came with us for DS3's scan and was upset then so now he must be a bit over it. It's so sad to see their faces especially when you desire what they desire and you know how they are feeling.

inshaallahxx
February 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
I know this is an old thread but I felt It was great topic to discuss. My oldest truly wants a little sister soooo bad. I have to sit and explain no matter what we want and how the baby comes out, it's still special and still his baby sister or brother.

fish2012
February 22nd, 2013, 05:32 PM
ah bless him, my ds1 has been asking for a sister for noah (ds2!) he doesn't know i'm preggie yet ;-S

MamaK4
March 6th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Before we even decided to have a 3rd DS1 was praying every day for God to give him a baby sister. Once we found out that #3 was a 3rd boy, DS1 got VERY upset. When we told him we were expecting a 4th we just presented it to him that it would probably be another boy, and he was ok with that...but it ended in a miscarriage. His argument for having a girl was that I needed someone to play princesses with lol, he's such a sweet kid!

lisvna
March 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Our eldest son asks everyday if my belly is full. I ask him why he asks me if my belly is full and then he say because I want a baby sister. He is 3 years and since I was pregnant from my youngest he hoped it was a girl.

inshaallahxx
March 6th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I think my DS2 traumatized DS1, he's a handful and my poor DS1 is like "please mom no more brothers" haha

4Giffins
March 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I think Im the only one whos kids want another of the same gender! My DD1 says she wants another girl because boys are naughty lol. And of course DD2 just says whatever big sissy says. I think its cute though and it really has helped me! I asked her the other day what she would think if the baby is a boy and her response was, I dont care Mom..I just want the baby to be alive! I guess thats the big picture after all! :)

BlueMom
March 6th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Hehehe, my ds1 says that if we were going to have another baby he wants a boy again :nails:

fish2012
March 10th, 2013, 06:30 PM
Update on my ds1 (3) now knows I'm preggie with twins requests two big girl babies like Cecily (his best friend) LOL

Why worry about birthing two newborns when it could be 2 three year olds!

mommymachine
March 10th, 2013, 07:35 PM
My DS1 wanted a sister when I was pregnant with DS3, but shortly before the ultrasound he predicted it was a boy...he was right. After DS3 was born, DS1 prayed every night for a baby sister, and he got one. NOW, he prays for TWIN sisters to be born on his birthday....and DS2 wants another brother.

xokatietatie
March 11th, 2013, 08:38 AM
All three of my sons desperately want this baby to be a girl. There's no convincing them that this could be another brother. It kills me. I worry about how heartbroken they'll all be if they don't get their sister.

The Anchor
March 11th, 2013, 02:18 PM
I don't think this counts...but DD keeps telling me she never wanted a brother :) LOL.

RKT Mama
March 12th, 2013, 05:02 AM
When I was pregnant with DS2, DS1 was demanding a little brother. I remember being worried it would be a girl and he would be upset. He was thrilled to get a brother, ironically they don't get on at all.

With DS3 he came with me for a scan and was very disappointed that he would be a boy but they get on way better and DS2 and DS3 are great buddies. Despite horrid GD, I now know that DS3 was great for both his big brothers.

I am currently pregnant with number 4 but they don't know it yet. DS1 is asking for another sibling ( probably because his best friends mum is pregnant) and the pressure is on for a girl ( which we think it is) but at 10, DS1 gets the concept that we can't choose where the younger 2 kids who are 6yrs and 4 yrs don't seem to understand that.

I think kids pick up a lot on what they see and hear from those around them and accept that without questioning. I know that my kids have picked up on my GD even though I would never say it to them, I really hope that means that if this is a girl, they won't feel she is any better or more special than they are

HopefulMonster
March 12th, 2013, 05:28 AM
My LO wants a sister, my DH wants a girl, my mum & grandma both want a girl, I want a girl... I feel like so many people will be disappointed if it's a boy that I'm really dreading actually ttc now!! It would be much easier tbh if it was just me, so I didn't have to deal with everyone else's disappointment as well as my own if we don't hear pink.

*ruby*
March 13th, 2013, 11:14 PM
DS1 really wants a girl so we can "be the same as his best friends family". He keeps asking me if we should find out or not. DS2 couldn't care less he just loves babies and is looking forward to not being the youngest anymore.

zibibbogirl
March 14th, 2013, 03:05 AM
My DS2 has wanted a sister since he could talk. He used to ask for one in his letters to Santa. When DS3 was born DS2 was happy but asked if he could still have a sister later. I think he wanted a sister more than I wanted a DD at times. My DS1 never cared for either gender, just wanted little siblings to boss around regardless LOL.

peonymama
March 14th, 2013, 03:38 AM
YES!!!! One of my sons really wants a sister. He says that he already has a brother and he needs a sister now. I told him it could be a boy (if IVF failed and we tried naturally), and he asked if we could still name the boy the girl name he likes. :)

His twin brother is not as into babies but says he wants a sister too just to go along with his brother.

1+2+3boys
May 19th, 2013, 01:57 AM
My DP has 6 sons, three of them ours. One mishap in his early 20s then his two sons with his ex wife and our three boys. When his 10 year old son was first introduced to the twins he asked sadly "why can our family only have boys?" DP asked if he would like a Sister and he said yes. Now if he asks the 8 or 10 year old they staunchly say "No! We are a boys only family." They love the twins, I think kids get get to love what they have once it comes along