PDA

View Full Version : How was the birth of your third baby?

Indira
January 13th, 2012, 04:40 AM
I´m trying to focus on birth and babies in general instead of gender :)

What can I expect? Was it quicker for you than the first 2 births?
My first was a 24 hours home birth, very relaxed and labour was painful only when I went from 9 to 10 cm dilatation. I pushed for one hour and a half, that was hard.
With my second I had two days of irregular labour, then the real labour (in hospital this time) was 4-5 hours and it was very painful, the contractions came one after the other without pauses. I pushed for half an hour.

Ah, and also, with my first I had an episotemy. With my second I didn´t, but the old scar ripped open again plus I ripped on the other side too (nice !) Will this all ripp open again? Even if you have no idea about this feel free to answer noooo! Doulamama?
I´m hoping a water birth will help me.

queen-bee
January 13th, 2012, 05:50 AM
my third one was quite painful, but quick (about 3 hours). The waters didn't break till the the had got engaged - I was told this is why it was so painful.

jazzers
January 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I'm curious about this too! My first labour was about 8 hours, and I pushed for 30min (natural birth). My second came like a freight train! I was in labour 1 hr 45min, and he just shot out!! We had JUST walked into the hospital and into the L&D ward. Wasn't even able to get myself up onto the bed before he was born! My husband and I are a bit concerned that the 3rd could be as fast or faster. Eek!

zanacal
January 13th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I can't say my 3rd labour was any easier than the others (but I wasn't expecting it to be - all my babies are back to back!). It was shorter though and I only pushed for 5 minutes.

When I arrived at hospital the midwives seemed to think either a) this one was going to come really quickly because it was my third or b) this one was going to be really awkward because it was my third!! I'm sure each birth is different and there's no way of telling but I think it's a huge advantage to have some experience behind you, to know what to expect and to know what you do and don't like when in labour!

applesoup
January 13th, 2012, 05:38 PM
DS1: Didn't realize that I should've gone 100% natural. Suffered through phentynol which made the pain unbearable when it wore off. Quick labor 10.5 hours. Pushed for 20 minutes.

DS2: Prepared myself for natural labor. Contractions started painfully, but very slow in between. Realized later that the baby was posterior. Only reason I made it through that naturally was my Bradley class. 9.5 hours. Pushed for 5-10 minutes.

DS 3: Perfect labor. Almost. Went into labor in the morning around 9am. Contractions weren't regular until noon. Took the morning easy, went to lunch with the kiddos, dropped kiddos off, went to a movie...well, the first 30 minutes of it. Went home when the contractions wouldn't end (went from 10 down to 5 during "resting" period & back up to a 10). Went to the hospital. Walked up on my own & measured at 8cm. Gave up too early & laid down, hoping last 2 CM would go quickly. Took another hour. Total from regular contractions: 7.5 hours. By far, my most "in control" , enjoyable labor. Hoping for a 5 hour baby this time! Pushed for 2-3 minutes.

**For the record, it was more painful to deliver a normally-facing 9.5lb baby (#3) than it was to deliver a posterior facing 6lb14oz baby (#2). Interesting!

TTC5
January 13th, 2012, 07:56 PM
My 3rd was the hardest.

XXdreaming
January 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM
ds1 like 24 hrs was terrible lol, had an episiotomy with him but small one(8lbs 5oz)

ds2 i was hospitalized at 31wks spent weeks in hospital on mag? to stop labor finally sent home on bedrest and meds, made it to 37wks when my water broke, my easiest labor 4hrs later and he came out(had an epidural talked and laughed through the whole labor, even pushing) but oh my God he was 8lbs 10oz and I ripped terribly bad, when epidural wore off oh wow the pain was terrible, it hurt to walk, recovery sucked

ds3 didnt want to come out, ob finally set a day to be induced(was 39wks 4days) was supposed to show up at 7am to be induced and showed up around 4am in labor lol was about 10hrs and barely ripped needed like one stitch, recovery was easy(8lbs 1oz)

ds4 was 37wks(long story on why I was induced, he needed out and medically attention) but labor was like 6hrs and I didnt even rip with him at all, recovery was awesome(7lbs 4oz) and he spent 10 days in nicu with pnueomonia :( (he healthy fat 2yr old now lol)

OnlyPraying
January 13th, 2012, 08:26 PM
My third was the hardest as well....just horrible.

nuthinbutpink
January 13th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Easy! Induced and delivered in a few hours with no issues.

zanacal
January 14th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Of course your 4th babies just flew out with literally no pain right?! I'm all about positive thinking when it comes to labour and birth :D

Indira
January 14th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I'm curious about this too! My first labour was about 8 hours, and I pushed for 30min (natural birth). My second came like a freight train! I was in labour 1 hr 45min, and he just shot out!! We had JUST walked into the hospital and into the L&D ward. Wasn't even able to get myself up onto the bed before he was born! My husband and I are a bit concerned that the 3rd could be as fast or faster. Eek!
OMG! I think you will need to be prepared for an unassisted birth, lol!
But from what I´m reading your 3rd isn´t necessarily quicker than your second.

Of course your 4th babies just flew out with literally no pain right?! I'm all about positive thinking when it comes to labour and birth :D
:agree: :) I´m sure they do!
I wish my babies would just shot or flow out of me, I find the pushing so much worse than the pain of the contractions :worry:

Indira
January 14th, 2012, 04:11 PM
ds1 like 24 hrs was terrible lol, had an episiotomy with him but small one(8lbs 5oz)

ds2 i was hospitalized at 31wks spent weeks in hospital on mag? to stop labor finally sent home on bedrest and meds, made it to 37wks when my water broke, my easiest labor 4hrs later and he came out(had an epidural talked and laughed through the whole labor, even pushing) but oh my God he was 8lbs 10oz and I ripped terribly bad, when epidural wore off oh wow the pain was terrible, it hurt to walk, recovery sucked

ds3 didnt want to come out, ob finally set a day to be induced(was 39wks 4days) was supposed to show up at 7am to be induced and showed up around 4am in labor lol was about 10hrs and barely ripped needed like one stitch, recovery was easy(8lbs 1oz)

ds4 was 37wks(long story on why I was induced, he needed out and medically attention) but labor was like 6hrs and I didnt even rip with him at all, recovery was awesome(7lbs 4oz) and he spent 10 days in nicu with pnueomonia :( (he healthy fat 2yr old now lol)

Thank you! your little rip with DS3 and no rip with DS4 made my day!

I´m very sorry for your recent loss:sadflwr:

zanacal
January 14th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I wish my babies would just shot or flow out of me, I find the pushing so much worse than the pain of the contractions :worry:

Really? We could do a deal here! My contractions are by far the worst part and I'm always relieved when I can start pushing and doing something different!

DoulaMama
January 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM
The best birth for me was #3!!

My first was a natural hospie birth ~8hrs and quick pushing stage(25mins). He was born with his arm up by his head so I had a little bit of tearing with him. Just 3 stitches.

My second was about 2hrs~ at home in water. About 1hr of it hurt. He was a face presentation/OP baby so that 1 hr of labour was absolutely excruciating! I pushed him out in about 7 mins. WAY more painful than the 8hrs of labour with DS1.

Third was a planned, unassisted birth in water. He also came out in a funny position(OT which means facing the thigh instead of looking down towards your bum) but his labour was easier and much more gentle on me. It was fast as well- about 1.5hrs from start to finish(maybe 25mins of it hurt). No tearing with #2 or #3 so I'm really hoping I won't have any with this one as well. I have heard/seen #3 being the "wild card" so to speak, but usually #3 is easier than #1 by far! xoxo You'll be fine!!!

Hobbermittens
January 14th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I was induced a week early, because I live an hour from the hospital. The induction went really smoothly and I had my baby about 9 hours later, 1/2 hour of pushing, no tears or stitches. I think the more kids you have, the easier the births are. Good luck!

girlmom
January 15th, 2012, 12:48 AM
numbers 3 and 4 were 30 mins and 1 push. very quick. both girls came out purple they were so bruised. the doctor said she had never seen such bruses on a newborn before. its because they came out so quickly. number 4 had black eyes and blue bruises all over her head. it faded quickly and they are both pretty cute now.
number 3 i was already in the hospital for an ultrasound and my water broke as i walking down the hall. i had an idea i ought to be ready with number 4. i started bleeding first and headed straight to the hospital at the first sign of the blood. as soon as i got to a room my water broke and bam i was holding a baby 30 mins later. this was after a 9 hour labor with number 2 and a 7 hour labor with number 1.

zanacal
January 15th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I've never had to have any stitches - if I need them for the first time with #4 I won't be impressed!!