PDA

View Full Version : Toxoplasmosis

Journey2dFuture
January 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
My first set of blood results came back positive for this infection.
My Gyno sent me for a second test which i will get the results back Monday morning.
I've recently started doing research online it seem this is very dangerous and harmful for the baby.
Heres the links i read.
Toxoplasmosis - PubMed Health (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001661/)
Congenital toxoplasmosis - PubMed Health (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002336/)

If anyone has had any experience with this while pregnant please could you tell me the treatment? side effects? Out comes of the baby? Any other information what ive read online is pretty scary.

nuthinbutpink
January 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I think it depends how long you've had it. You can get an amnio done and you will definitely need to be treated.

Pregnancy and Toxoplasmosis (http://www.webmd.com/baby/toxoplasmosis)

Indira
January 14th, 2012, 03:43 PM
My SIL tested positive for toxoplasmosis in the first trimester of her second pregnancy. SIL and BIL were VERY worried because dr. told them all the possible problems the baby could develop.
She was constantly monitored and had an amnio earlier or later than normal (donīt remember) because that way they could establish if the baby was infected or not. The baby wasnīt infected at that point.
A week ago we celebrated her second birthday, she is perfectly healthy.
What you see online is what can happen, but that doesnīt mean at all that it will happen to your baby.

Sunset
January 14th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I'm a bit confused.. have you been infected with toxoplasmosis while pregnant? from what i understand most people have at some point in their lifes been infected with this and developed antibodies and if this is the case you're immune and have nothing to worry about if you do come into contact with it again, but if you have been infected with this virus for the first time while pregnant it could potentially be very dangerous for your baby. This is how I understand it, but perhaps I'm wrong. I do know though that most people are immune to toxoplasmosis, especially if you have or have had cats.

Journey2dFuture
January 15th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I don't think i've caught while pregnant i think its something i've had for a while. The Doctor is unsure.
The Doctor did say something about my Antibodies not doing there job :/
I will have to ask her more at my next appointment. Also ive read online it CAN be treated while pregnant but my Doc said it CAN'T. :/
I think i'll bring DH along to the next appointment so he has a better understanding too. My doctor doesnt speak great English. Which is why i'm probably more concerned.

Cadogan
January 15th, 2012, 10:35 PM
We had a very healthy girl, who is now twelve, who was born with toxoplasmosis. The parasite can be treated in utero very effectively only if the mother has been tested and diagnosed. We were lucky because my wife tested negative in her first trimester and positive at the beginning of her third trimester. At that point both she and the baby were treated aggressively. Modern testing should be able to differentiate between a new infection and a previous now harmless infection. For an adult in good health they do not usually even know they have been infected. They main problem is for individuals whose immune system is not functioning ( baby, aids sufferer, transplant recipient) Arthur Ashe actualy died of Toxo.
I believe the best research is done at the university of Chicago (toxoplasmosis.org)
It is really important that all new expectant mothers get tested, for a $15 test you can treat and give a normal life to an infected baby.

Hugh