PDA

View Full Version : Can IVF success be genetic?

stik
January 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Hi

Just wondering if likelihood of being "successful" at IVF being something in the genes?

Reason I ask is my sister who is unable to have children naturally also failed to fall pregnant via IVF even though she was still young (embryos were transferred but nothing stuck). Not sure of exact details though unfortunately.

I am worried that even though I have conceived 2 children naturally, it would reduce my chances of being successful in IVF (in my case for GS) too.

Thanks
Stik

atomic sagebrush
January 15th, 2012, 08:50 AM
If you have children already, then yes, you are more likely to succeed at IVF than someone who is infertile.

It has nothing to do with genetics, however.

stik
January 19th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks for that. It's good to know!

Dr. Potter
January 25th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Hi

Just wondering if likelihood of being "successful" at IVF being something in the genes?

Reason I ask is my sister who is unable to have children naturally also failed to fall pregnant via IVF even though she was still young (embryos were transferred but nothing stuck). Not sure of exact details though unfortunately.

I am worried that even though I have conceived 2 children naturally, it would reduce my chances of being successful in IVF (in my case for GS) too.

Thanks
StikI am sorry to hear about your sister. I would be happy to review her case for you. Your history of fertility bodes well for your IVF chances! I hope that this helps.
Best Regards,
Dr. Potter