PDA

View Full Version : Australian women - anyone who's tried pgd in America....

Muls
January 15th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Hi,
I am looking to do PGD in america in 2013 and would like to know of stories of any women from Australia who have been there and had success and where you went. I am in country NSW and would love to know if there is anyone from Canberra or Sydney and where they went for pretesting.
I am due to have DS4 in June but would like to gather all my info now so I can prepare and save :)

glory
January 16th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Hey there, from Aus but not done PGD in America.

I just wanted to say that if you become a dream member there are a lot more Aussies there who can answer your questions, most don't come out here because it is a public forum.

Good luck on your journey!

Cloverbear
February 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Hi there I am from Australia country NSW about 2hours from Canberra.

I have done pgd in America and am here again collecting my last embryo "chilli" hopefully sucussfully.

We did a full cycle back in aug 2010 which resulted in a lovely daughter Addison. We have 7 boys.

I will PM you I am happy it help

bubbaboo
February 18th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hi There
I too am looking at going to US but in May this year. Looking at HRC as the clinic. We are from country Queensland. Any info anyone has would be appreciated - only up to consultation stage. Need to organise and find out who does testing ....a bit worried that it may only be in Sydney which is really inconvenient for our family being in QLD. Anyone had experience of doing pretesting in QLD......would appreciate any info.
Booked flights and am really nervous/excited..........

Cloverbear - wish you the best with your transfer. For us we will be going through IVF process.......so hopeful it works....as know you can appreciate is a big investment out of our family budget. Hoping for a healthy blue bub.

Thanks again - grateful for this forum and site.

onlythelonely
February 19th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Hi I live near Rockhampton in QLd. I got my bloods done at QML, my AFC Scan done a Central Qld Medical Imagining in EMerald and Rocky and I had to go to Brisbane to get the Sonohysterogram done. I got all the pre testing orders re-written by my GP. Bloods cost me nothing, AFC cost $150 after Medicare and Sono cost $600 after Medicare. HTH

kpmum
February 19th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Hi there! I am Australian who lives in Melbourne that's planning to cycle in the us at hrc in early 2013. I spoke to my wonderful ob who said he was happy to help me with all of my pretesting. Did u have a ob with ur previous pregnancies? Maybe u could ring around- u'd be surprised with how supportive some drs r. Good luck x

bubbaboo
February 19th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Thanks so much onlythelonely and kpmum. Is helpful info....i need to get onto this asap.....May will be here before we know it. This part (pre-testing_etc. ) worries me because of where i might get it done and who to go see and ask for it etc. Thanks again.

Mocha May
March 3rd, 2012, 11:00 PM
Hi I live near Rockhampton in QLd. I got my bloods done at QML, my AFC Scan done a Central Qld Medical Imagining in EMerald and Rocky and I had to go to Brisbane to get the Sonohysterogram done. I got all the pre testing orders re-written by my GP. Bloods cost me nothing, AFC cost $150 after Medicare and Sono cost $600 after Medicare. HTH

Hi onlythelonely,

My dr here on the Gold Coast told me that I needed a referral for an IVF clinic to get all the HRC required pretesting done! I was sooo hoping to avoid all that as I just want to go and get my bloods done at the regular QML office and sono at my local radiographers. How did you manage to avoid having to go to an IVF clinic? Do you know of an understanding GP/clinic on the Gold Coast that could help me?

Many thanks!

onlythelonely
March 4th, 2012, 12:12 AM
I did a phone consult with Dr Potter at HRC and then they sent me the requests for all the testing I needed I just took that to a GP and got them to re write them for QML and the sonography place and then had them done. Just went back to GP and got my results. I told the GP that I had family overseas and wanted to cycle there.

Mocha May
March 4th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Thanks so much for the reply. That's a great idea about saying you have family overseas - that what I should've said as my dr was very unhelpful. I've got the testing requests from HRC, so I'll try again with another dr.

bubbaboo
March 4th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Thanks that is a great idea telling GP have relatives overseas - the GP's here in our town are so hard to get into. Got given names of QFG clinics in Brisbane and Gold Coast that HRC deal with. Didn't realise had to get referrel - was hoping didn't have to do that as I have to get testing done this week. By sounds of it no way of getting around referrel. Thanks again.

Mocha May
March 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I know it's so annnoying isn't it?! The Bris and Gold Coast Clinics I was given by HRC are IVF clinics which require a consultation before they actually do any testing. I've been quoted $200 for a consultation alone... and they seem uncomfortable with carrying out the testing. I need to get my testing asap too so I'm going to have to find another dr who will give me the referrals to go directly to QML and a radiography centre - I'll save a fortune by the sounds of it!

jils04
March 4th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Hi guys, finding a sympathetic GP will save you money and headaches for sure. Thats the best way .
Good luck, not easy. My GP was a family friend and he was lovely.

twins2
March 5th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I am also looking at going to HRC in July 2012 but I think I might have some issues with the monitoring in Australia.
I know I can do the full cycle in the states but leaving my four daughters will just be to hard I think. I dont know who to go too, I am embarressed to go to my OB because he has delieverd all my daughters and he has daughters himself and he is a believer in "you get what you get".

Does anybody know any clinics in Sydney that can do the monitoring. I know Sydney IVF wont help they will only help you if you go to Thailand and Im definately not doing that. Any advise or help ladies?

jils04
March 6th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I am also looking at going to HRC in July 2012 but I think I might have some issues with the monitoring in Australia.
I know I can do the full cycle in the states but leaving my four daughters will just be to hard I think. I dont know who to go too, I am embarressed to go to my OB because he has delieverd all my daughters and he has daughters himself and he is a believer in "you get what you get".

Does anybody know any clinics in Sydney that can do the monitoring. I know Sydney IVF wont help they will only help you if you go to Thailand and Im definately not doing that. Any advise or help ladies?

last I asked, sivf do help with monitoring in U.S but charge $500 for the privilege ! You can also try Australian IVF. Are there any clinics where you are that can help you ?

Bambina
March 6th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Both SIVF (now called Genea) and IVF Australia will do monitoring for $500 and $1000 respectively.

Mocha May
March 6th, 2012, 06:37 AM
With Genea, what does the $500 cover?

I can't understand why a GP can't give a referral to a local radiographer for the ultrasound requirements. I can't find anywhere on the Gold Coast to assist so I will happily fly to Sydney if a clinic there will help.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do the entire testing/cycle in the US (at HRC)? Will it cost heaps more??

I'm tearing my hair out with frustration over this testing malarky!!!!!!

glory
March 6th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Sweetie, I hear you there! In Perth it is actually illegal for a GP or anyone else to help us with anything to do with GS. They can actually be prosecuted, can you believe that? Fortunately most don't know this and if you do get a GP that is willing to help, they can give you the referral to get stuff done. It is finding the right one. I actually went to my normal GP who I knew would disapprove and I said look, it is either you help me, or I find a dr who will, I have thought about this a lot, you are not going to change my mind and I REALLY want you as my dr on this and she went OK. She didn't love the idea but she saw I was serious and then didn't say much about it.

I know that in Sydney drs will help you track a cycle, and give you the requests for meds and bloods etc... the thing with when you are actually cycling is they need those test results the day you have them done, so you need someone that will be quick to forward stuff on etc.... that is why an IVF clinic would be good.

I have used Genea for my Thailand cycles and they were very good at correlating it, I am sure they would be the same for HRC.

I don't see why you would not be able to go through a Sydney IVF clinic and have to travel there, most would be able to do a phone or skype consult and then go from there. The RE basically doesn't do much with your cycle anyway, everything is conveyed through the nurse, who takes everything to the RE.

You would want to get the pre testing done here, you couldn't go to HRC and do that then do a cycle, it all has to be sorted before.

bubbaboo
March 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM
I know Mocha May - I am in same boat. It is stressing me out almost to the point where i think maybe it is telling me something. All this added expense referrels etc. freaking me out- as if its not bad enough that the procedure costs so much. I am wondering same thing = going in May for a month and wondering if could do whole thing while over there- pretesting, monitoring etc. Is this a possiblity - I'm guessing no because of the meds etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

glory
March 6th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I would say no to going and doing everything over there, the pretesting has to be done at the start of a month and then cycle would have to be worked out.

I have often thought what about a GP after hours? I know the ones over here are generally just foreign doctors who agree to anything. The testing really isn't that bad, well the bloods aren't, the ultrasound is pretty straight forward too and I just went to a local radiology, but I think Dr P likes a sonohystogram? That would be harder to swing.

bubbaboo
March 6th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks glory for your info. Not a bad idea about after hours places. Just wonder how people get to the stage of having procedures at HRC. So much to do and roadblocks along the way. Seems so far away....

glory
March 6th, 2012, 08:03 AM
I know, it is really hard from Australia. If I was on the other side of the country like you, I would have gone the HRC route but Thailand was just closer. Things have changed a lot there since my first cycle, their testing is a lot better, but they are also stricter about what embryo can be biopsied, so that makes it harder once again.

I know that if this next cycle doesn't work, I will go to HRC at the end of the year and the thought of having to go through all the pre testing and getting referrals again is going to do my head in, it makes me feel horrible just thinking about it.

Mocha May
March 6th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Bubbaboo - I feel defeated before I've even started! But I figured that if I give up and throw all this testing etc stuff into the too hard basket then I will miss the boat on having a daughter... and that is a way more a horrible situation to be in than perservering through this awful getting started with the testing stage. Doesn't make it any easier, especially when I have no one to talk to about it.

Glory - I tried the after hours foreign dr. He is the type of dr who doesn't look at you or say a word when you need a prescription so I thought he'd be perfect for helping me out. But even he was totally suspicious of my testing requirements and didn't want to touch it. He reluctantly agreed to a script for the blood work but refused any assistance with the ultrasounds.

My next plan is to go to Monash IVF in 2 weeks where I have practically begged them to help. I have a consultation booked ($260!!!!) and then I am hoping that that after I plead my case they will assist with the sonohysterogram, antral follicle count and my AMH count. I'll let you know how I go!

onlythelonely
March 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I guess I was pretty lucky with my GP I have had 3 different ones at the same office and had not problems with any of the referrals. I just gave them the orders from Dr Potter and said my sister worked in his office and I was going over there for my cycle but needed my pre testing done. I have even got tested for Fragile X as well, it is just the luck of how the Dr is a lot of time. Good luck

jils04
March 6th, 2012, 08:04 PM
I know, it is really hard from Australia. If I was on the other side of the country like you, I would have gone the HRC route but Thailand was just closer. Things have changed a lot there since my first cycle, their testing is a lot better, but they are also stricter about what embryo can be biopsied, so that makes it harder once again.

I know that if this next cycle doesn't work, I will go to HRC at the end of the year and the thought of having to go through all the pre testing and getting referrals again is going to do my head in, it makes me feel horrible just thinking about it.

Glory, if your last pretesting wasn't too long ago, you'll be able to use it at HRC. lets hope u don't need to go there.

bubbaboo
March 6th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Hey Mocha May I agree with you - it is hard but if you don't then you may not get your precious little one. I am the same I have to do this and get over this. I rang Monash IVF today and they gave me Diagnostic imaging phone number in Brisbane for the sonohysterogram and said to call them to organise it and to call Sullivan Nicolades or QML to organise blood tests. Have also made an appointment with GP here so not sure how it is going to go. Will be interesting - let you know if I get blood test orders etc. Here's hoping.
Something I am a bit frustrated with is - am new to this and forgive me if this sounds rude/disrespectful - but I feel like i have to ask the questions via email at HRC to even get the contact list of clinics - i guess would have liked a bit more hand holding as to how to go about these things (sorry if sounds lame!!!!). I am sure they are very busy and just can't do that. I might be a bit pre-menstrual too(doh!).

Mocha May
March 7th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Bubbaboo I know what you mean. I had to ask for a list too and I still don't actually understand the process of what happens after the testing (if I manage to even get it completed!). I guess we are just 2 out of hundreds of patients that they see and perhaps don't understand the dramas us Aussies have in getting help with the testing.

With your sonohysterogram, do you need a referral then or can you book an appointment without one? I wonder if the testing paperwork that HRC sent would class as a referral? I contacted a local radiographer earlier and they advised I needed a referral and that the sono would cost $500. I have to go to Monash to get the referral though.

I also contacted HRC about doing the entire procedure over there and potentially skip any testing here in Aus. I was advised I would need to be there for 21 days to do the entire cycle but the pretesting which would be the uterine eval and the antral follicle count ultrasound will have to be done way before you start any treatment. So it looks like there is no avoiding the pretesting here unfortunately.

bubbaboo
March 7th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Hi Mocha May - went to GP and got referrels to Diagnostic Imaging centre and for bloods - dont think referrel is right after I looked at it outside the doctors, as antral follicle test is for day 2,3,4 and the sono is for day 6-12 and she has referrel on same piece of paper. Doh. Interesting... Will have to ring DIC about this. In answer to your question - yes you do need a referrel from doctor (don't know if would accept it from US doc) - you could try - didn't want to chance it since I do live a distance away. Good luck- hopefully you have success with this.

PS thanks for sharing all of this with me and others....especially acknowledging my winge!!!!!!!

allthingsnice
March 7th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hi,
I am looking to do PGD in america in 2013 and would like to know of stories of any women from Australia who have been there and had success and where you went. I am in country NSW and would love to know if there is anyone from Canberra or Sydney and where they went for pretesting.
I am due to have DS4 in June but would like to gather all my info now so I can prepare and save :)

Hi there - I'm in a similar position to you. I'm due in August with #2 and am also considering PGD in America in 2013 for our third (and final) child. It's all a bit overwhelming when you first start looking into it all.. isn't it! But from what I've read on this forum so far, everyone is very very helpful.

onlythelonely
March 7th, 2012, 03:54 PM
hi bubbaboo the referal is fine you get a scan done on day2,3,or 4 to check for follicles then you have to get another scan done where they infuse your uterus with saline to get a better look and that is done from day 6-12. Mine were on the same referal as well and I had to go to 2 diffferent places, all the did was give me a photocopt to take with me. HTH Good Luck

bubbaboo
March 7th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks onlythelonely. That is really helpful. Now just need my period:running: to come.....doh! Can't believe I actually want it to arrive!!!!

dreaming pink after 3 DS
March 19th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hi Girls, I am new to GD. I am 32 yo and I too have 3 beautiful boys. I am from NSW. We have decided to research PGD with hopes to try Asap in 2012. Spoke to syd ivf who recommend and assist with superior art in Thailand. Also visited my GP today she is happy to refer and assist in Thailand or HRC in US. Need advise which clinic is best and why? We will need to take the kids along with us. Thx

jils04
March 19th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Hi Girls, I am new to GD. I am 32 yo and I too have 3 beautiful boys. I am from NSW. We have decided to research PGD with hopes to try Asap in 2012. Spoke to syd ivf who recommend and assist with superior art in Thailand. Also visited my GP today she is happy to refer and assist in Thailand or HRC in US. Need advise which clinic is best and why? We will need to take the kids along with us. Thx

I would do some pretesting first and base your decision on that ! But at 32, should be good to go !

dreaming pink after 3 DS
March 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM
Thanks Jils04. Sounds like a good idea. Sydney IVF have send me my ultrasound & bloods requests via mail so When I get those I'll start testing! Did you use either of these clinics? Are you suggesting if the protesting is all good to use one clinic over the other? Thx again.

LittleStar
June 14th, 2012, 12:29 AM
Hi Bubbaboo, I am new to GD, I am from SE QLD we are looking to have a PGD/IVF in US this year, I am having trouble finding a Dr who will prescribe the medications needed for the early part of the cycle and just be involved. I have been able to get a local GP to do all bloods, sono scan request etc. Any recommendations in SE QLD that you found? Thanks so much.

1wish
June 14th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Hi this is all new to me too. Had my phone consult with Dr Potter too the other day we are looking at going to HRC or Thailand Sart. I am also worried about pretesting and where to get this done especially if I go to HRC. I live in Perth and have just learned it is illegal for doctors to help over here with pretesting bloods etc. If I go to Sart in Thailand is it going to be easier for me to get my protesting done. Will Genea help me?

jils04
June 14th, 2012, 03:00 AM
If your afc is magic, heaps of follies then maybe give sart a go, otherwise i suggest hrc. They can do wonders with less than great embies

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

ohboy
June 27th, 2012, 07:08 AM
Hi Bubbaboo, I am new to GD, I am from SE QLD we are looking to have a PGD/IVF in US this year, I am having trouble finding a Dr who will prescribe the medications needed for the early part of the cycle and just be involved. I have been able to get a local GP to do all bloods, sono scan request etc. Any recommendations in SE QLD that you found? Thanks so much.

I too am from SE QLD and looking into PGD/IVF next year. How are you going finding Drs to help you out? Can I ask who did your bloods etc and what did you say it was for? I know alot of ladies have had to work their way around why they are heading to the US. Are you consulting with Dr Potter?

Looking forward to chatting with you more.