PDA

View Full Version : International names

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
A little history - I'm British and my DH is Polish. We are living in Poland.
Not many people are aware of the East European names but there not to my taste.

I need a boys name which will work both with the east Europe side of the family as well as the west.

The only name i can't have is Adam due to it being my hated BIL's middle name.

Please suggest. :)

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
On another note - Name with a J in will sound like Y.
Names with W will sound like V. Polish alphabet

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Is this your first baby?
Do you want a name that flows with other family names?
What is the first letter of your last name?

Hobbermittens
January 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM
William?

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Do you like commom type names... Benjamin, Charles, or Henry. Or do you want new popular names... Caden, Jaden, Broden, Braden, Payson, Brock, or Raiden (<- I just made that up, I think)

Hobbermittens
January 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Raiden (<- I just made that up, I think)

Actually I know a Raiden! I don't really like it--I think it sounds too much like radon, that poisonous gas.

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Actually I know a Raiden! I don't really like it--I think it sounds too much like radon, that poisonous gas.

I was being funny because a friend of ours gave her kids names that all sound the same... Payson, Mason, Jason, Carson, Jackson, and Madison.

I was trying to think of names to list but I am into simple known names.

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Is this your first baby?
Do you want a name that flows with other family names?
What is the first letter of your last name?
First baby - it doesnt have to flow with any other names. Last name starts with a M and end in I

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Do you like commom type names... Benjamin, Charles, or Henry. Or do you want new popular names... Caden, Jaden, Broden, Braden, Payson, Brock, or Raiden (<- I just made that up, I think)
Im not a fan of the super common name (old skool) nor the super modern names.. Just wouldn't fit with the country we live in.
This is going to be hard.

auroara78
January 19th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I really like the name Henry, but don't know how well that'd fit in Poland

Raiden? really? That is a character from the video game "mortal kombat" that I played when I was a kid!

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM
William?

I like it but they would pronounce it Villiam.. Which i don't like

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I really like the name Henry, but don't know how well that'd fit in Poland

Raiden? really? That is a character from the video game "mortal kombat" that I played when I was a kid!

Not a huge fan of Henry in Polish they call then Henryk which i hate even more.

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM
i quite like
Lawrence spelt in polish - Lorenz
Theodore - Teodor

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Lorenz is a good name.

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
I want to try and get a short list of two of each names to discuss with dh.. DH has already pretty much picked the girls names with no changes allowed.. But its up to me to find a boys names... Which considering i WANT a boy is really hard for me to think of a boys name..

Indira
January 19th, 2012, 11:40 AM
International boy names are soooo hard, we had the same problem twice. For girls it is a lot easier.
I like Lorenz a lot.
What about Oliver, Alexander, Lucas, Valentin, Dominic, Leonard, Simon, Tobia, Daniel ?

zanacal
January 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM
From Indira's list I like Alexander and Daniel. My Romanian friend has a Henry (which I know you don't like) and a Felix. I think Theodor and Lorenz would both work well too - I know of Theos and Lawrence's and it's just different spelling.

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 01:28 PM
International boy names are soooo hard,
What about Oliver, Alexander, Lucas, Valentin, Dominic, Leonard, Simon, Tobia, Daniel ?
Sooo Hard !
I like all those names but there so common here !
I have at least one family member with the name.. apart from Valentin, Tobia and Leonard.. I like Tobia the best out of them..
Thanks for the suggestions :)
Keep them coming..

auroara78
January 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I really like Theodore or Theodor as it would be spelled there.

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Dominick was a name we thought about before DS1... and before we decided on family names. But one thing I always think about is how it can be made fun of, sometimes the nicknames are ok. Here it is very common for kids in high school to get picked on for everything. So Dominick=Dam Dom or D & ick spells dick. One of my bros friends has a girl named Mount Everest, so for perv teen boys they can say "lets go mount everest" really bad.

For DS2, Charles, I was only concerned about if he was a little over weight as a teen and was called Chucky Chuck but my boys are very active and we center our days around a lot of activities and healthy eating so we are not worried about weight. But my boys redneck nicknames are Jimmy Tom and Chucky Tim, gives the neighbors a laugh.

Hobbermittens
January 19th, 2012, 01:37 PM
i quite like
Lawrence spelt in polish - Lorenz
Theodore - Teodor

I love Theodore! You could call him Theo. :)

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 01:38 PM
What does Tobia mean? It sounds cool. Can it be change to Tobian or another spelling?

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM
What does Tobia mean? It sounds cool. Can it be change to Tobian or another spelling?

I didnt find Tobia but found this
Tobey god is good
Tobiah Goodness of God.
Tobias The Lord is good
Tobie god is good

Journey2dFuture
January 19th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I love Theodore! You could call him Theo. :)

I do like that those two name dont really have sucky nicknames.

zanacal
January 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I think Tobia sounds a bit feminine but I like Tobias. How about Zack or Zackery?

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 04:04 PM
How about something really different... Journey, Parrish, Tucson, Arizona, Yogurt, Pancake or Map. Sorry I have am not with it at the moment and starving.

Hobbermittens
January 19th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I once knew a Tobin. I liked that name a lot and have never heard it since.

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I knew a Tobias Titus P-----... and he was so handsome (SHH don't tell hubby)

Indira
January 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Tobia is the italian version of Tobias.
I wanted to call DS2 Tobia/Tobiah/Tobias but DH thinks it sounds like a dogīs name :/
I really like Oliver but canīt use it because in italian (DH is) itīs Oliviero and I donīt like that.

Indira
January 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM
One of my bros friends has a girl named Mount Everest, so for perv teen boys they can say "lets go mount everest" really bad. Poor girl!

purplepoet20
January 19th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Poor girl!

Whats worse is her sister is Forest Drop... I have no idea why the mom named the girl such odd names.

Indira
January 19th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Sooo Hard !
I like all those names but there so common here !
I have at least one family member with the name.. apart from Valentin, Tobia and Leonard.. I like Tobia the best out of them..
Thanks for the suggestions :)
Keep them coming..
There common here too, except for Tobia and Oliver, I actually listed kids that go to kindergarten with my boys.
Iīll try to think of more, here are some italian names: Milo, Elio, Valerio, Dario, Mattia, Matteo, Davide, Franco, Michele, Giona (Jonah), Damiano.

zanacal
January 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Hey Indira, while you're at it - what are the girls names at your boys' kindergarten?!

Belle
January 20th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Hi I'm sure these names have been mentioned before our polish friends names and boys names are Aleksander (my favorite) Xavier, Marc and ofcourse they have an Adam.

CrystalTipps
January 20th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Luca?

purplepoet20
January 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Some common boy names where I live are... Sky, Tyler, Titus, Riley (girl Rylee), Adrian, Jade, Darren, Derick, Marrick, Lucas, Caleb, and Logan. I come across a lot of boys with these names. I like Marrick because if the boy is older he can go by Rick if he wanted.

We have a combo of Hippie's, Rednecks, and Native Americans here.

LolaInLove
January 20th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Hey Journey,

My DH is Polish also, but we live in the US. Our last name also starts with an M and ends in ski, of course! LOL

So, his cousin just had a baby boy, and they named him Lucasz (pronounced Lu-kash), which I adore. I know, Polish names are HARD. I have scoured name websites for Polish names and hate most of the boy ones, but I really like Lucasz. He could always go by Lucas or Luke or something more western should he want to.

You know its a boy already? Or just picking a boy name?

Journey2dFuture
January 20th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Hey Journey,

My DH is Polish also, but we live in the US. Our last name also starts with an M and ends in ski, of course! LOL

So, his cousin just had a baby boy, and they named him Lucasz (pronounced Lu-kash), which I adore. I know, Polish names are HARD. I have scoured name websites for Polish names and hate most of the boy ones, but I really like Lucasz. He could always go by Lucas or Luke or something more western should he want to.

You know its a boy already? Or just picking a boy name?
We are a Ski too.. But im guessing your a Ska just like me.. Good old Polish rules hey !
I didnt know your husband was a pole :) Small world :p There everywhere !
I do like Lucasz - but for sure i would spell it different.. More like how you say it Lucash :p or something...
The polish names are just sooo hard.
No we dont know the sex - just trying to pick out two girl names and two names and short list them down to what fits at the birth if that makes sense.

Thank you for all the suggestions
The international based with the polish back ground is just so hard..

Indira
January 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Hey Indira, while you're at it - what are the girls names at your boys' kindergarten?!
:) Elena, Luana, Samara, Pauline, Hannah, Lena, Seraphine, Emily, Maya-Lena, Amely, Ronja, Nathalie, Madeleine, Eva, Mia, Emma, Ester, Esmee, Marte.
The small city were I live is packed with Lenaīs and Hannahīs, very very common!

Ah, and there are also my friendsī and cousinsī daughters: Romee, Yara, Bente, MayBritt, Hinte, Lou, Nina, Rascha, Reza (these were Dutch) and Alice (alietsche), Ludovica, Sara, Margherita, Maya, Lana, Bianca, Camilla, Maria (italian).

and sons: Ivo, Simon, Ruben, Sem, Roan, Luuk, Stijn, Gijs, Tijn (ah these last ones might be pronouncable for Dutch people only)

zanacal
January 20th, 2012, 02:27 PM
There are some really pretty names in there Indira - thank you!

Journey2dFuture
January 20th, 2012, 02:51 PM
So after a long long talk with DH he decided it doesnt have to be international or so Polish like i thought
We ended up with 4 girl names and 1 boy. We plan to sit on them for a few weeks and come back to them and see if we still like the sound of them.

Indira
January 20th, 2012, 03:11 PM
So after a long long talk with DH he decided it doesnt have to be international or so Polish like i thought
We ended up with 4 girl names and 1 boy. We plan to sit on them for a few weeks and come back to them and see if we still like the sound of them.
Thatīs great!

LolaInLove
January 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM
That makes it way easier! Happy name hunting and pregnancy!

Hobbermittens
January 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM
What names did you pick?

Journey2dFuture
January 21st, 2012, 05:25 AM
What names did you pick?
For the boy - We only have Owen
For Girls we have Sophie which is top at the moment, Brianna, Layla and Brooke. Not to sure on Brooke :/ Doesnt really go with our last name.

PeonyPrincess
January 21st, 2012, 07:33 AM
I love Owen! It was my grandfather's name and I would have used it for DS1 except my big brother beat me to it and names his DS1 Owen. He is adorable and my best friend thought he was the cutest thing ever at my wedding and named her DS1 Owen too. So I am a little biased! His brother is Liam, which I think is also nice. My DS1 is Lucas.
A man at work is called Dewitt. He pronounces it Devitt though, so I was wondering if that is a Polish influence. I quite like it, but that could also be because he is really cute! :wink:

zanacal
January 21st, 2012, 10:27 AM
My husband is Owen :D

Journey2dFuture
January 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
Hee hee i only know one person called owen.. And he was Hot ! :p

ILindGurl
June 26th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I LOVE INTERNATIONAL NAMES! Unfortunately, my american husband (who is half polish) thinks they are too weird in the US and will get butchered. My favorite all time boys name is Gustavo, or Gustave. DH is also part swedish and we have a swedish last name...Gustave is name of many swedish kings. I think in Polish it's Gustaw. Could nickname him Gus, which I think is sooo adorable!! Another one that translates well betw the 2 countries is Feliks (Felix).

For girls, I worked with a Kasia (from Poland) and always thought it was such a pretty name. Pronounced Ka-ja. It was her nickname for Katherine (polish version, which I don't remember how it's spelled). Ewa is pretty too (polish Eva).

GL!

Journey2dFuture
June 26th, 2012, 09:26 AM
We're back at square one with no name at all now! We just can't decide! :(