PDA

View Full Version : Genesis vs SART

Kolobok
January 21st, 2012, 05:31 AM
Hi all,
Need your help in deciding which clinic to choose for my next cycle. I already had 2 failed ivf/pgd and this will probably be our last attempt.
SART is closer to home (I'm in Sydney) and more convenient to get to, but Genesys offers spermsort which may increase our chances.
I'm torn apart, both clinics seem to be credible but I need to choose one.
Any thoughts will be much appreciated.

nuthinbutpink
January 21st, 2012, 08:18 AM
There has been a lot of discussion lately about SART. From what I understand, when going there for GS, they will require you to wait until day 5 for biopsy and are only able to biopsy hatched blasts. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

That is very strict criteria and there have been many babies born in here that we're not HB at transfer. There is discussion in the member forum from past cyclers.

I know the gals do like Genesis on here and we have several that have now been.

ETA- if you are not Australian, you may still be able to use day 3 FISH for GS. Aussies have to use day 5 PCR on HB.

glory
January 22nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Hey Hun, since you are in Syndey, what about going to the US? Or is that where you went last time? I have been to SART each time but i am in Perth so only a 6 hour flight, where for you, I would probably go to US, since it probably won't be much father.

I have thought about Genesis too and the sorting does make the prospect a little more exciting. If you can only choose genesis (I am assuming Cyprus) and SARt and it is your last try, I would go Genesis. The Euro at the moment is also a good reason to do Cyprus.

Kolobok
January 22nd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks nuthinbutpink,
This is new to me. Do you know why such restrictions for au?
Do you know if in Genesis they would do biopsy on all embies regardless their stage/size?

jils04
January 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Hi love,

One US cycle is 11,200 at HRC including 24 gsn PGD. For that distance and the dollar at the mo, definitely US.

nuthinbutpink
January 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
Yes. Only SART has that requirement for some reason. We've had a few Genesis gals cycle and one is pregnant now with twins.

Kolobok
January 23rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
Hi jils04,
I see there few HRC clinics in CA. Which one did you go to?
I also see you have cycled with SART. What do you think of them?
Thanks.

glory
January 23rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Hi glory,
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
We have considered US clinic about 1,5 years ago. It seemed way too expensive comparing to other clinics.
We were quoted AUD 25K. We did 2 cycles in Ukraine for 10K each. Unless prices went down since then, I don't think we can afford it. But I guess it would be worth checking it again.
Could you tell me why didn't you go to Genesis?

Hey there! If you are really interested in everyones stories, then become a dream member, you get access to the private forums, a lot more people will reply to you there. I won't even post my siggy in the public forum because I know far too many people who 'think' that I am going HT and I just couldn't be bothered with anyones criticism. In the private forums, there are cycle stickies where you follow everyones cycles and you can see what is going on.

I didn't go to Genesis because I didn't know about it, I am from Perth, so I just knew about Thailand, like you I did research the US a little while ago and go the same kind of quote you got, BUT the dollar has gone up now, so it is way cheaper to cycle in the US now. I have had 3 failed cycles at SART and it is a case of what would you have done if you knew what you know now.

With SART they do day 5 biopsy (6 at the latest) and do transfer same day, most places that do day 5 biopsy will do it on a blast, but SART will only do it on a Hatching Blast, which like others has said is quite hard to do THOUGH I only had 2 embryos last time and 1 made it to HB, they do prep it early to help it hatch, but again getting to that stage is quite hard. I also want to add that most places will not do a fresh transfer on a 5 day tested embryo.

They use the same protocol as Genea (Sydney IVF) who will only test a HB as well, my RE at Genea did tell me that although they test on HB, it doesn't mean that any embryos that don't make it to testing are not good embryos, we can freeze or transfer blast embryos, but they will not do PGD on anything other than a blast.

With Genesis, they do a day 3 biopsy, so they don't have to make it to blast to be tested, then they will generally do the transfer on day 5 (by then hoping it is a blast stage). A lot of places do 3 day testing and this is fine, but there is a lot of study at the moment to lean towards day 5 testing as it can be more accurate as they can test more cells.

Kolobok
January 23rd, 2012, 11:52 PM
Glory, thank you so much for sharing. Just became a member, so see you over there.

Cheers