PDA

View Full Version : 30,000 words a day??

atomic sagebrush
January 17th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I just read in Parents magazine that you're supposed to speak 30,000 words a day to your children (the equivalent of reading 'The Cat in the Hat' out loud, 21 times!!)

I think I'm falling a little short! Is it just me???

Liv
January 17th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Feels like I tell my boys to clean their room and stop fighting 30,000 times a day! LOL!

RedCanoe
January 17th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Yikes, I think I would really annoy myself if I did that. :P

Gus
January 17th, 2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know if I hit it every day, but I talk a LOT. lol. I wouldn't be surprised if I was somewhere in that ballpark many days.

chachamama
January 17th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I probably hit it too, much to my boys' dismay..
It's funny you posted this, I was just thinking I might talk TOO much somedays.. LOL

prettyinpink18
January 17th, 2011, 10:53 AM
A good part of that for me is probably nagging at them, lol. Still, I don't know that I hit that daily.

pinksapphire
January 17th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Goodness, how would anyone know how many words they've said in one day? It's not like we could use a pedometer that counts the words instead of steps!!! LOL Or maybe that will be invented one day.

skrimpy
January 17th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I am a pretty quiet person and I'm sure I don't say that much unless I'm lecturing one of the big ones! Then I may get close :p

I don't see any reason to babble on and on to children, though, really. They learn just by living with you, listening to your conversations, etc. I've never babbled endlessly to my kids and they all have great vocabularies, are very smart, and do well with their schoolwork.

I think endless chatter teaches children to chatter endlessly... and sometimes I want some peace and quiet!

nuthinbutpink
January 17th, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'd have to also count how many times I say Stop It or Don't do that and see what I come to! What happened to Silence is Golden?

OneLastDream
January 17th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I think if I added up how many times I said can you put your shoes on please or coat on or stop getting up from the table or stop arguing I would probably get there on a weekend at about 11am lol!!!! Seriously though it sounds a lot to me!!!

atomic sagebrush
January 17th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Now that I've been paying attention I do think that I say more than I think I do. Just in a minute or two I said like 100 words.

I read a book about so-called "primitive" cultures and most of them don't talk to babies at all. The babies learn from the environment and hearing language, just like skrimpy said.

Rein&Sonshines
January 17th, 2011, 08:51 PM
That is interesting! I wonder how many words I speak in a day. I reckon it is close.

Persuing Lacey
January 18th, 2011, 03:48 AM
Does the word "no" count? I reckon I say that 30000 times a day to my 2 yo!:rofl:

MyLilSweetPeas
February 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'd have to also count how many times I say Stop It or Don't do that and see what I come to! What happened to Silence is Golden?

Yep, this is me! Stop it and Don't do that are my top 2. And don't forget Leave each other ALONE. Hands to yourself. Pick that up.

I'm the quiet type too so I know I don't say that many words per day. I really like the "wordometor" idea! Some people could use that to excercise good talking habits! Quiet is a good thing!

sunnyinflorida
February 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM
I think I go over, I'm a talker :oops:

Tulips
March 16th, 2011, 02:15 AM
what one of my friends said is it's not talking to them but they should hear that many words in conversation (and not on TV) so hearing adult conversations is good it teaches them how language is put together.