PDA

View Full Version : How often does first try work??

sosapop
January 22nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Curious, how often have women succeeded with one attempt for IVF/PGD? Just curious...it seems more often than not it takes a couple attempts.

I have a +OPK today, and so would like to just go for it, but I stopped diet and supplements a little over a week ago :( But tempted since tomorrow morning we would try and New Moon is tomorrow! Plus DH has abstained for over 5 days...

But then I could just hold out and wait till the summer when we plan on trying the IVF route...

nuthinbutpink
January 22nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
Just a guess but 50%. 100% guarantee when it does work though!

tinksmagic
January 23rd, 2012, 02:32 AM
My first cycle in '09 for IVF/PDG worked, though ended in m/c at 12 weeks. I'd had 4 healthy babes prior to this so we calculated it to being a struggling embie rather than my body function (though I was under a TON of stress at the time)

We're on cycle #2 (no more stress job) and our results were better for my boys than last time, I won't know results until the 29th however.

GL with yours, it's a rollercoaster!!!

miffy
March 4th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Itīs a 40 % sucessrate every time, so if you do three cykles the chans of pregnancy is over 80%...
I am 6 weeks pregnant on the first try of PGD/IVF though :-)

Mocha May
March 5th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Why is the success rate so low? 40% is scary especially when there is such a massive financial investment involved for each try. I can only afford one chance! Can you get a good estimate whether you'll be a successful OHW candidate for IVF/PGD from the results of your pre-testing or is it down to luck on the day?

jils04
March 5th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Pretesting does help, but even with fab numbers and good natural fertility, still doesn't guarantee a OHW. Its an unnatural process and some bodies don't do as well as others etc.. I would think its something like 30-40%.
Sorry the rate is not higher.

lisvna
March 5th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Yes you are right Jils i am one of them. I had great pre test unfortunately not a OHW.......I'm going back in April for my second attempt.....

miffy
March 5th, 2012, 02:31 PM
When I read on the different clinics homepages, age seems to be the number one factor to sucsess. Not much you can do about that though...

clarabell
March 5th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Congrats to all of you and good luck to those still on the journey. Can I ask what does OHW mean? So many code I'm confussed! Also any tips on how to say you like a thread? I'm new to this .....can you tell?

lisvna
March 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
OHW: one hit wonder
BFP: big fat positive
BFN: big fat negative

jils04
March 5th, 2012, 04:54 PM
If you like a comment, you just click on the little like button on the bottom right of the comment.