PDA

View Full Version : Preeclampsia anyone??

myfiveboys
January 23rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
I had preeclampsia with my last pregnancy (5th pregnancy) and now I’m so scared of developing it again. I didn’t develop it til my 33rd week of pregnancy and delivered at 34 weeks, though my BP had been a little high through my whole pregnancy. Anyway, It was a traumatic 3 day labor(I refused a c section unless absolutely necessary), birth and recovery. My baby was ok other than being exposed to the magnesium sulfate I was given through labor and he spent 8 days in the NICU.
I talked to my doctor at my postpartum appt. and he said there is really no way to predict developing it again and said it was unusual I got during my 5th pregnancy.
I’ve been reading online and some sites will say there’s no higher risk in subsequent pregnancies while other will say there is a higher risk.

Has anyone else had it? If so, did you develop it in your next pregnancy?

rainbowflower
January 23rd, 2012, 02:46 PM
my mum had it in her first 3 pregnancies but not in her 4th. As a result I'm at risk of it too especially as I had dangerously high BP during my last pregnancy.

I was reading online recently that a low dose of aspirin after 12 weeks could lower your risk of getting it... MMS: Error (http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199310213291701)

Sunset
January 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
I developed preeclampsia in my last pregnancy (3rd pregnancy) and i too was told it's very rare to develope it in a subsequent pregnancy if you didn't have it in your first pregnancy... i can't really help i'm afraid, just wanted to say i can relate alot to your post! My dream has always been to have 4 children, but i don't know if i would ever dare to go through pregnancy again after my experience with preeclampsia. I got so poorly i ended up in critical care and had to have the magnesium sulfate throughout labour as well. From what I've been told you have about a 20% chance of developing preeclampsia again which may sound like alot but it also means you have a 80% chance of having a normal healthy pregnancy! I too have heard that taking a small dose of aspirin from 12 weeks can possibly lower the risk of getting it. HTH

secretly sad
January 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM

onlythelonely
January 23rd, 2012, 07:22 PM
I have high BP when taken at the doctors whether I am pregnant or not. It has gotten to the point now that i had to buy a monitor so as I could take my own BP at home before I went and then take the monitor in with me so as the doctor could look at the memory function. It has been the same through all 3 of my pregnancies, the only one that I actually developed mild preeclamspia was with my second pregnancy which was a twin pregnancy.

My docotor told me that while I was at a slightly higher risk to develop it again there was no way to know, he told me that they would just keep an extra close eye on me for future pregnancies.