PDA

View Full Version : Need thoughts on more L girl names.

Lilac♥
January 12th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I woke up this morning with the name Liberty in my head, no idea why. But I decided today that I needed more name options. So I'm going through 437 L girl names. Right now I'm thinking I only want to use Liberty if I deliver on the 4th of July, it seems too odd to use otherwise. Maybe I'm wrong, what does everyone think? But wouldn't the nickname for Liberty be Libby? And Libby and Lily (my DD3) sound way too similar. But why would I wake up with it in my head? I'm worried it would be made fun of too much though.

I like the name Layla, but there seems to be way too many spelling variations for my taste. I already have to spell all of my girls' names for people and our last name. Is that just the way it is now, that all names have more than one spelling variation so it has to be spelled out?

Three out of my 4 girls now have names that end in -e so I'm trying to avoid those. But I'm half-way considering -ette or -etta names, because I have one daughter with -enne and one with -elle. So maybe Lucetta, Loretta, or Lynette.

The names that were already on my list are Laney, Lauren, Lucia, Lovisa, and Lorelei (I'm thinking of taking the last 2 off though). I also kind of like Lena and Lucinda.

I showed my husband my orginal name list and asked him what he thought. As usual he didn't say anything. He never has any input until the end, and at least not until after the gender ultrasound.

So I guess for right now my list is Liberty, Layla, Lucetta, Loretta, Lynette, Laney, Lauren, Lucia, Lena, and Lucinda. What are everyone's thoughts and opinions?

xnicolax
January 12th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Layla, spelled like that! I also like Lucia, Lauren third. I suppose Laney is quite nice too. Not too much help there from me but that is how I would cut it in half!

Lilac♥
January 12th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I think I agree with you on the top picks. Except I'm thinking of taking Lauren off, because of how it sounds with our last name. I'm really liking Laney the best today, Lucia second, and Layla third, and maybe I'll throw Lena in there for today. But all of the longer names just aren't rubbing me right for some reason.

nuthinbutpink
January 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
The Liberty thing reminds me of the movie where the girl gives birth in walmart and names her Americus. Landry?

Lilac♥
January 12th, 2011, 02:40 PM
The Liberty thing reminds me of the movie where the girl gives birth in walmart and names her Americus. Landry?

I love that movie, Where the Heart Is, but I hate the name Americus. LOL! At first I thought you put laundry, then when I read it right it sounded like a boy name, so I'm gonna have to pass on that one. :-)

MatildaMai
January 12th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I adore Lucia - unfortunately I had twin boys - so I ended up calling one of them Luca! However, I also had Liberty Grace on my list it sounded really good with our surname. My DH thought it was weird though. Laney is pretty but it makes me think of Laney from that Sex in the City episode about the girl who was famous for flashing her chest and the girls go to her baby shower! I quite like Lucinda too but I knew a mean girl in college called Lucinda so it never got onto my list. What about Lucy or Lucille?

Lilian78
January 12th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I really like Layla and Lena. Laney is nice but sounds like a nickname (e.g. for Alaina). My short list included Lila--love it! I'm not really a fan of liberty (though libby is nice)--but I actually don't like any names of that type (destiny, charity, chasity, etc.).

Persuing Lacey
January 12th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I vote Laney, cause it is similar to Lacey. I also like Lucy too.

Rein&Sonshines
January 13th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I like Lainey, Lucy, Laina, Leia (Laya) or Lyla.

Bee Shine
January 17th, 2011, 05:39 PM
I really like Lily or Layla

Lisa
January 17th, 2011, 09:01 PM
The Liberty's I know were not born on July 4. I never would have thought of that. I love the name Liberty and Libby.

Lilac♥
January 18th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I thought I really liked Laney, Lena, Layla, etc. But the more I think about it the more I'm afraid they do sound too nicknamey. And would be very easy for people to forget or confuse with other names. I want a strong name, so I guess I'm back to liking Lucia the best. Thinking of other names too. Maybe something a little unusual but still pretty like Lyra. I don't know, maybe I should give up on doing a L name.

xnicolax
January 18th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I really love Lucia, I love Lucy but it is really common atm and lucia sounds like a nice variation to it. I dont think Layla sounds like a nick name but I see what you mean about the others. I dont think you should forget about the L name, it obviously means a lot to you. I was in town today with my mam and she was talking to one of her old school friends who has 3 daughters and they all begin with L, (Laura, Louise and Laila) it made me think of you, lol.

Lilac♥
January 18th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I dont think you should forget about the L name, it obviously means a lot to you.

Yeah I thought it meant a lot to me, but now it's just starting to get old. I thought I needed something that made the thought of ending up with 5 girls more bearable. But now it's kind of a headache. I told my husband why I wanted to use a L name and he didn't think it was neat or clever or anything, just was like "whatever" and walked away.

xnicolax
January 18th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I love L names so it wouldnt be such a headache for me but I can understand it. I had a headache with DS3, I luckily found a boy name I loved before I was PG with DS4 so that wasn't so bad. How about Lola?

Lilac♥
January 18th, 2011, 03:18 PM
How about Lola?

"Her name is Lola, she was a showgirl..." That's all I think of when I hear that name. LOL!

I saw the name Liana and liked it. Then I remembered everyone will probably want to spell it Leanna, which looks horrible to me. Ugh! All the names I actually do like have too many spelling variations and those bug me.

skrimpy
January 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I like Laney... it's really cute!

atomic sagebrush
January 18th, 2011, 09:19 PM
I LOVE the name Liberty. I always have. One of our friends from IG has a little girl named Liberty-Rose and I think it's very sweet!

I don't love any of the -etta names on your list...they seem old-fashinioned to me and not in the good way like your other girl's names.

Have you ever heard the name Lisette? I think that's very pretty.

grasshopper
January 23rd, 2011, 02:25 AM
What about Lara......or Lani...or Lana...or Lexi...I love those names. I like Laney as well.

ThinkPink
January 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
I like Lucia, its really cute. I have a niece called Liberty which is nice because people always shorten her name to Libby which is really sweet. Lacey and Lucy are nice too.

Lilac♥
January 23rd, 2011, 04:59 PM
What about Lara......or Lani...or Lana...or Lexi...I love those names. I like Laney as well.

I thought about Lara, Lani, Lana, and Lexi. Don't they just sound like nicknames for something else though? Lexi reminds me of this guy in high school, his name was Rex but everyone called him Sexy Rexy. So I don't know if having the chance of ending up with a nickname like Sexy Lexi would be good or bad.

OneLastDream
January 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
I really like Layla - that was one of our girl names, and Loretta and Laney. I also like Lola or Lois.

Lilac♥
January 23rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I really still like Lucia the best but I don't know if my husband will go for it, he wouldn't when I wanted to name DD3 that. Laney is still on my list and maybe Liana. I kind of like Lynlee that someone suggested, but I'm not sure how to spell it and if it sounds too similar to Lily.

If I decide not to go with a L name the names I'm considering are Glory, Ava, Audrey, Scarlett, and Claire/Clara.

lindi
January 23rd, 2011, 05:30 PM
I like Layla and Lucy!

Jojogirl
January 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
my favorite L names are Lacy, Lilliana (obviously you can't use this), Lauren, Laurie, and Lyssa :)

LittleLadyBug4Me
March 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I like Layla the best. It is beautiful name. I had it on my list last time, just with "i".

LittleLadyBug4Me
March 14th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Friend of mine has Lara. It does not sound as a nickname to me at all but I am not from English speaking country.

luvmyluvbug
March 15th, 2011, 06:23 AM
How about laurel or loral?

ELP
March 15th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Laurel! I like Laurel!

Jojogirl
March 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I have a friend named Lara and she says people do not pronounce her name correctly ALL THE TIME!

LolaInLove
March 15th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Well, my real name is Lauren, which I love, and my nickname is Lola, which I also love....and believe it or not, I have only gotten the "showgirl" song a couple of times from drunk idiots in bars. My guy pals in childhood used to call me Lo, and since I was an athlete, it was kinda fun to have a girly nickname and be sort of a tomboy. I liked the irony. Anyway, I also vote for Lucia, I think that is super pretty! I have a friend that just named her girl Leisel, which is French.

Zivic-Bubac
March 20th, 2011, 04:50 PM
I like Lila the best, unbelievebly cute!:HH:
Layla is beautiful too, there is a wonderful song from Hari Varesanovic Lejla ( Leyla), here's the link, you'll love it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0laMbtcxY ( just a little note: where I come from, Lejla is name reserved for Muslims, but I find it beautiful)
I had a friend in high school who was Hungarian, her name was Leila (pronounced Ley-la), which is a variation of Layla(h).
Meaning of the name is 'dark beauty' and it is of Arabic origin.

familiesr4ever
March 21st, 2011, 04:34 PM
I like Liberty and don't think of it as weird or out-there. Before I became a SAHM, I worked in a brokerage firm and one of the brokers had two daughter's one was Liberty and the other was named Lindzee. They were beautiful girls and when they got older(early/mid teens they would work for their dad in the summer. They were such sweet girls and I don't remember anyone shortening her name to Libby, but Libby is a cute nn for Liberty. Anyway, Liberty gets my vote and second pick is Laurel, I have always liked this name. GL

carsuk
March 26th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I like layla !

Belle
March 28th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I really love Lucinda Liberty Layla and Lola and I love your other children's names any will suit good luck I always have name dilemmas.

boys4girls0
April 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM
I like Lexi(e), Laney, Lacey, Lynsey (many spellings), Lyla, Louisa, Lucy.

BabyCakes
May 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Layla :)

purplepoet20
May 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
Another L name.... Liara, like Tiara. My sisters friend has a 3 year old name Liara and she has big hazel eyes and cruly light brown hair.

TTC5
May 25th, 2011, 01:57 AM
I woke up this morning with the name Liberty in my head, no idea why. But I decided today that I needed more name options. So I'm going through 437 L girl names. Right now I'm thinking I only want to use Liberty if I deliver on the 4th of July, it seems too odd to use otherwise. Maybe I'm wrong, what does everyone think? But wouldn't the nickname for Liberty be Libby? And Libby and Lily (my DD3) sound way too similar. But why would I wake up with it in my head? I'm worried it would be made fun of too much though.

I like the name Layla, but there seems to be way too many spelling variations for my taste. I already have to spell all of my girls' names for people and our last name. Is that just the way it is now, that all names have more than one spelling variation so it has to be spelled out?

Three out of my 4 girls now have names that end in -e so I'm trying to avoid those. But I'm half-way considering -ette or -etta names, because I have one daughter with -enne and one with -elle. So maybe Lucetta, Loretta, or Lynette.

The names that were already on my list are Laney, Lauren, Lucia, Lovisa, and Lorelei (I'm thinking of taking the last 2 off though). I also kind of like Lena and Lucinda.

I showed my husband my orginal name list and asked him what he thought. As usual he didn't say anything. He never has any input until the end, and at least not until after the gender ultrasound.

So I guess for right now my list is Liberty, Layla, Lucetta, Loretta, Lynette, Laney, Lauren, Lucia, Lena, and Lucinda. What are everyone's thoughts and opinions?

Just curious if you swayed with any of your girls?

I love Laella?

Amelie
June 3rd, 2011, 11:14 PM
I love the L names Lynn and Loraine....

atomic sagebrush
June 4th, 2011, 11:23 PM
♥♥♥ Lilac, if you see this, thinking of you and hoping all is well. ♥♥♥

Princess of Pink
August 5th, 2011, 06:17 PM
My 2nd DD is Lexus or Lexi for short....people always comment on her name.