PDA

View Full Version : Really unsure of when to DTD

Lassie1982
January 26th, 2012, 02:40 PM
After spending hours reading, I am now super confused about the timing aspect..
Shettles? O+12?
O+12 would be really tricky to manage, becuase it will be virtually impossible for me to time my ovulation to the hour (near enough impossible for me to do OPK's during work hours)

We were going to do Shettles, and thats what the insansly priced Gen Select kit requires us to do aswell.
But the more research i do, it seems that for every pro shettles article, there's an anti shettles article!

How did you girls decide which method to use???

Please help! Putting so much effort into diet, dont want to ruin our chances by stuffing up timing, or doing wrong timing

TIA

TTC5
January 26th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Remember, timing is the LEAST important factor ;)

Hobbermittens
January 26th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Have you read this essay?

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-discussion/7691-trouble-timing.html

Or this one?

http://genderdreaming.com/forum/ttc-girl-best-practices/7336-frequency-bd-pink-blue.html

Try not to stress about timing too much. :) Good luck planning!

Princess of Pink
January 26th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I don't believe in timing to be honest, but good luck with your sway!!

zanacal
January 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Another non-believer here! I think it's also a personal thing - when do you get most EWCM around O? Mine is around 2-4 ays beforehand so Shettles would have been a bad thing for us (more fertile is better for a boy). We DTD on O day when my EWCM is always pretty much gone.

Cinss
January 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM
There are lots of ladies who have got opposites using shettles method. And it becomes hard and stressful to try to time it exactly according to O. Just remember that you have to DTD around O to get pregnant, and if you miss the egg, its back to square one. Goodluck with your sway.

Wishing4Princess
January 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Good point Zana! I have been really confused about timing (although, I know it's not the most important factor). Just wanting to AVOID those EWCM days. Since starting the diet, I hardly have any EWCM before OV. for example, this past cycle, I got a +opk, morning of CD 13, had lots of EWCM, then by that evening it was almost all gone and nothing the next day.. where as with my boys and before swaying I had lots of EWCM days before ov and day of OV. So since I am still confused about timing and my weird +opk and EWCM (that indicated, I ovulated within 10 hours) I will just go with when I don't have much ewcm. and not wait too long and pray I fall pregnant. LOL

Lassie1982
January 27th, 2012, 04:59 AM
Thanks for those articles Hobbermittens - wow....eye opening.
Though it is a relief that apparently timing is the least important factor!
Suppose i will just stick to the diet strictly, and stick to DTD either side of O when EWCM is low?
Not sure about my changes in CM, its my first month of monitering (never paid any attention before) im on CD 10 today and its still in the sparse, not stretchy at all stage (sorry if that TMI)

KnockYourBallsOff
January 27th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I have also been recruited to the 'dark side' of not believing in timing. If you're doing hard core diet and keeping EWCM low--I wouldn't get too stressed about timing. I'm not. good luck!!

atomic sagebrush
January 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM
come to the Dark Side...we have cookies...

I don't believe in timing and have at least 3 opposites to prove it, but if you gotta do timing, then do Shettles. At least you have a snowball's chance in the baking hot deserts of Tattooine of getting pregnant in a timely manner.

Here's my O+12 series - read all three parts, has the how to and the history part illustrates how little science there is supporting it. Part 3 is the downsides of O+12 http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1291-O-12-Part-1-The-History-of-O-12

And here's my Shettles how to http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1380-Shettles-method-of-timing

atomic sagebrush
January 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM
come to the Dark Side...we have cookies...

I don't believe in timing and have at least 3 opposites to prove it, but if you gotta do timing, then do Shettles. At least you have a snowball's chance in the baking hot deserts of Tattooine of getting pregnant in a timely manner.

Here's my O+12 series - read all three parts, has the how to and the history part illustrates how little science there is supporting it. Part 3 is the downsides of O+12 http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1291-O-12-Part-1-The-History-of-O-12

And here's my Shettles how to http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1380-Shettles-method-of-timing

nini
January 30th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I personally could never do cut off as I get my peak EWCM 2-4 days beofre O (luckily this was reduced drastically throught hte diet this cycle, my first attempt). I also dont think I could fall pregnant with a 3 or more day cut off anyway.

I conceived my little girl with o+12 and am trying the same this time round. Why o+12? Because my boys were conceived 2 days before ovulation and because after ovulation my ph drops and EWCM is NOT present anymore (I refuse to consider douching ;). I conceived at first attempt last time. I am currently in the 2ww. Actually, I think I am more in girl territory right before and around o, than 2 days beforehand. Its such a personal decision and everyone has a different opinion.

Any timing method could be reducing your chances to conceive. If you have had problems conceiving before, I would drop timing and focus on a perfect diet as otherwise you might ttc for ages and eventually not be able to hold up more important factors such as the diet.

atomic sagebrush
February 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM
Re o+12 vs. cutoff and reducing odds of pg - it is a fact that many eggs barely LIVE 12 hours after ovulation and the older you get, the less time your egg tends to live. It takes time for sperm to reach the egg and capacitate and with very little CM, it takes even longer (currents of CM move the sperm most of the way to the egg - they don't really even swim that much except to overcome obstacles and make the final push to the egg). O+12 reduces your odds of pg A LOT and may even make it impossible for older moms (I was TTC with the "mature mamas" on IG for a year and no one trying O+12 ever got pg.). I really believe that at least some of the people, if not a majority, who believe they conceived on O+12 either Oed later than they thought they did or else released two eggs and hit only the second. I would not ever waste a cycle on O+12 unless I was 21 years old and had forever to try.

On the other hand, the female repro tract is designed to keep sperm alive and waiting for an egg as long as possible (up to 7 days) and given this design, it's very likely that the vast majority of everyone ever conceived, both male and female, was from sperm already there and waiting before or at the very latest, right after the egg was released.

Timing methods do certainly make it more difficult to conceive, but O+12 makes it next to impossible and even impossible for many people.