PDA

View Full Version : Hot (cooked) mayonnaise okay?

Hobbermittens
January 26th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I LOVE artichoke dip, and it is my first official craving for this pregnancy. The recipe I have calls for mayo, artichoke hearts, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and lemon juice. Pretty basic. Anyway, I was just about to whip up a batch, when I started wondering if hot mayo was safe in pregnancy? I guess I never thought about it before. I mean, it will be cooked. So it should be okay?

TTC5
January 26th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Not sure what hot mayo is?

Hobbermittens
January 26th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Mayonnaise... it is a condiment--do they not have it in Australia?? You are missing out! Anyway, it is supposed to be eaten cold most of the time, and if it sits out and gets warm (like on a picnic on a hot day), it can grow bacteria. I have eaten it cooked while not pregnant, I just wasn't sure if it was safe during pregnancy.

Princess of Pink
January 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah we have mayo here...I eat it nearly every day!

Hobbermittens
January 26th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah we have mayo here...I eat it nearly every day!

Thank goodness! I was about to offer to send some over there!!

So what do you think about having it heated? Yes or no? Have you had artichoke dip before?

Princess of Pink
January 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah I have had it a few times...I think mayo is only a problem if it's the home made type with eggs in it. Store bought should not be a problem.

DoulaMama
January 26th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Mayo- cold on a sandwich or hot from baking, is 110% ok to eat:)

Hobbermittens
January 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks ladies! I can't wait to make some artichoke dip!!

Here's the recipe if anyone else has a hankering:

2 cans artichoke hearts (not the marinated kind), drained
1 cup mayonnaise
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tsp lemon juice
garlic to taste (I use 2 cloves, but I really like garlic!)
salt to taste

Mix ingredients and bake for 30 min at 350 until hot and bubbly and brown at the edges.

Enjoy!

Cinss
January 26th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Gee that is VERY savory, and don't they say savory cravings = boy babys?

Hobbermittens
January 26th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Oh, is that so? I didn't know that... :)

DoulaMama
January 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM
YUM!!!! enjoy!!!

atomic sagebrush
January 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM
LOL I have been looking for this post everywhere! Saw it come up a couple days ago and then didn't know what forum it was in.

Mayo that is heated is fine. There isn't anything dangerous about the temp of mayo itself, it is when it sits out at room temp for long periods that bacteria can begin to grow. Weirdly, it's not even the mayo, it's the foods that are often served WITH mayo like pasta, potato, chicken/tuna salad ingredients, and when it's used on meat sandwiches. Mayo actually can deter bacteria from growing to some extent - not that anyone should ever rely on that!!

Hobbermittens
January 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks atomic! Have you ever made artichoke dip? I posted the recipe on this thread a few posts back... it is divine!

atomic sagebrush
February 5th, 2012, 03:17 PM
No, only because I would eat it all in one sitting! ;)

happyheart
February 5th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I LOVE mayo! I can eat just mayo on bread! :) I make hot sandwiches in the toaster oven that is bread, mayo, tomato, and cheese...... yummmm! :)

Enjoy your craving! :) :)