PDA

View Full Version : DVT in pregnancy

zanacal
February 1st, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'm sure I'm being way too cautious but I'm just back from the doctor because I've had a sore/bruised spot in my calf all evening and I'm worrying about a DVT. The doctor thinks I've just strained a muscle but I can't stop worrying - there are no symptoms besides the tenderness, it's not red or swollen etc. etc. and I'm pretty sure the doctor thought I was a nutcase. Anybody any experience with anything like this?

nuthinbutpink
February 1st, 2012, 03:49 PM
Why would you jump to a DVT diagnosis over a pulled muscle or ligament stretching? With pregnancy, everything stretches.

Wouldn't most cases include redness, swelling, etc?

Hobbermittens
February 1st, 2012, 04:03 PM
You are not crazy for being concerned about that! I was worried about it during my 3 previous pregnancies because I get weird calf pain. Nothing ever came of it, despite even getting an u/s once on my leg. I have heard that it if you get more pain when you flex your foot (and therefore flex the calf muscle) that is a bad sign. I hope yours is nothing!

Flava
February 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
I have no clue just want to say hope it's nothing! hugs

zanacal
February 2nd, 2012, 06:36 AM
I went back to the doctor this morning as pain increased. They gave me a D Dimer blood test which came back positive so now I'm on my way to the hospital for a vascular assessment with suspected DVT. Please pray for me and my family if you're that way inclined. I'm so scared.

nuthinbutpink
February 2nd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Good grief! I hope everything will be okay. Good for you for speaking up!

Out of the Blue
February 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
You are in my T&Ps, Zan...I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. :HH: :HH: :HH:

ELP
February 2nd, 2012, 07:06 AM
How scary Zana:( I'll put in a prayer for you xxxx

Out of the Blue
February 2nd, 2012, 09:25 AM
Just checking in again, Zan. :pray: everything is okay. I'm so glad you went w/your gut and got tested. :HH:

Mochagirl
February 2nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
Z - I just saw this now. All my thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope everything turns out ok :HH:.

Hobbermittens
February 2nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
I am thinking of you, Zana! From what I understand, this is very treatable. You will be okay! I am so glad you listened to your instincts and went in to be seen!

zanacal
February 2nd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Thank you so much everyone. Good news - no DVT! I have to say that I was a complete mess back there, I was convinced I wouldn't even make it to the hospital because every time you hear a DVT story it's those poor people who don't know they have it and die very suddenly. According to the sonographer around 70% of people who test positive in the D Dimer blood test don't actually have a DVT and there are things which can cause a false positive - like pregnancy! I still don't know what's up and my leg is very sore but I'm so very grateful that it's not a DVT. They would have treated it with blood thinners and compression stockings I believe and the sonographers said DVTs are only dangerous if you don't know you have it and don't get treatment - so I'll definitely be going with my gut instincts on everything in future, even if it does cause doctors to think I'm completely neurotic. I have too much at stake to just 'wait and see'!

Out of the Blue
February 2nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Oh, THANK GOD! I normally don't look in this section but just happened to see your post this a.m. and I've just been sending you soooooo many positive thoughts. YES...Always go w/your gut!!! I'm hoping these last few mos sail by so you can have that sweet girl in your arms very soon. :HH:

zanacal
February 2nd, 2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks Jen, me too. I said to DH I'll just be so grateful when May has passed and baby is here and we're all healthy and I don't have to think about pregnancy again.

Mochagirl
February 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Phew! So glad you're ok! You're definitely right about going with your instincts, though - we know our bodies far better than any doctor could!

Hobbermittens
February 2nd, 2012, 03:58 PM
So glad you are okay!!

atomic sagebrush
February 5th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Thank goodness! Glad you''re ok!!!