PDA

View Full Version : What is your belief in the Ramzi placenta location theory?

chocolate
February 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hiya, just wondered what your belief is in the Ramzi theory, the one about placenta to the left being girl and to the right being boy?

I have had 2 scans, at 6 weeks the screen showed (with me standing in front of it) bubs more to the right......... which was mirror imaged so I thought left and girl but I could have interpreted this wrong.

At 8 weeks I asked a private sonographer and she seemed confused and said it was to the right but Im not sure if she had reversed this so had to write off her answer.

Now Ive just found the heartbeat at 10 weeks and its more to the right so Im thinking the placenta cant be that far from there so its got to be right and another boy.........

Feel slightly deflated now and just think its def got to be boy as the theory is correct 97% of the time........

What do you think of this theory? How often have you heard of it being right or wrong.
For me I seem to read that its right more often than wrong.

The heartbeat was 170's and sounded more like a train too, think the heart rate drops over the next few weeks doesnt it? Not that I go by the heart rate theory anyway. I guess out of all the theories I put my faith in the ramzi theory

atomic sagebrush
February 5th, 2012, 03:10 PM
for Ramzi to be at all reliable you must have the data from very very early in pg. 10 weeks is too late and does not tell you anything. 6 weeks is the date in the study but if a tech is not looking for that particularly and isn't trained to do so, it's hard to see stuff at 6 weeks.

Bizarrely (and this gave me actual physical pain to admit) there does seem to be something to it. Ramzi has his studies but aside from that, I have read studies that seem to indicate more girl conceptions from the left ovary, and studies that show that more girls are ectopic pg and more boys are placenta previa (by quite a margin) meaning that there is evidently something different in the way that XX and XY move through the tubes and implant in the uterus. These were all pretty good studies from reputable sources.

Hearbeat is meaningless (proven) - always higher in early pg and slows down later on and you can tell nothing by how it sounds other than what type of Doppler your doctor has. You can also tell nothing by what side the heartbeat seems to be coming from - that means absolutely nothing. The human body is weird like that. you can hear your heartbeat on the right side of yoru body too but your heart is still on the left!

Indira
February 5th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I think the theory is right in 97% of cases when the tech knows this study and knows what he/she´s looking for.
I´ve been there, getting hopes up for this or feeling compl defeated, so I know how you feel but I really think everything is still possible and you just have to be patient for 4 weeks so you can pass on to obsessing over the nub lol.

chocolate
February 5th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys, and thanks atomic - it was hearing the heartbeat to the right that made me think 100% boy dont go getting any excitment now of possibly being a girl. On a bit of a rubbish mood this weekend, tired and busy and OH being a pain, last few weeks I was happy to hear boy or girl, not that Im not now, just that my bad mood instantly makes me think negatively in case it does mean boy.
Hope by the time the nub shot comes Ill be back in my positive care free mood lol.

Atomic thanks for pointing out about hearing the noises differently with dopplers and sides -I remember at about 26 weeks my dr couldnt get the heartbeat down low so after a few minutes she said 'Im going to try something controversial' and held the doppler near the top of my bump and there was the heartbeat ......even though DS was head down lol.

So for now Ill try to forget the whole heartbeat came from the right thing. If Id have only had that 6 week scan where it seemed bubs and sac etc. was to the right on the screen (left) then Id have sworn it was a girl lol. Def. got that Ramzi theory in my head for the number 1 gender prediction but your right, so may things have to be done right to know left or right.
Placenta is on my front wall apparently and bubs hiding behind it so Im grateful I found the heartbeat and quite quickly as was starting to get worried

chocolate
February 5th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Atomic your little boy is so cute in your pic, its funny because when I see cute baby boys it makes me broody for another little boy, so funny! Always felt broodier looking at baby boys instead of girls.......... think I need to listen to that inner broodiness instead of my head and others saying you need to have a daughter!

TTC5
February 5th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I had PP with a girl so I don't put too much stock in the whole placenta thing. Each time you fall pregnant the placenta attaches to a different spot in the womb so given I have 4 girls my left side much be pretty full LOL ;)

chocolate
February 6th, 2012, 05:32 AM
I thought that too about finding a different place to implant, however never knew where DS1 implanted, but I think DS2 was on the front wall to right and so far I know this one is the front too

rainbowflower
February 6th, 2012, 05:39 AM
what about if the baby was in the centre? I know DS was in the centre at the back... didn'r Ramzi study that too? his results seemed to be conclusively left or right?

chocolate
February 6th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Yeah think central was inconclusive although dont have the study to hand

auroara78
February 6th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I think if done at the right time in pregnancy and with a trained sonographer who *understands* what to look for to determine the Ramzi theory correctly, I believe wholeheartedly in his theory, as I've read the long research paper, etc.

Based on the fact the techs had no clue what was going on, I don't think you should count yourself out of having a girl yet.

I agree with Atomic 120% about heartbeat...heartbeat speeds is such an old wife's tales! My sons both had really fast heartbeats and even my OB teased me that they were probably girls based on heartbeats....he even believed the old wives tale, or at least, had fun teasing me about it! Regarding the heart beat being found on right, I'd go with Atomic said and don't worry about it. I think it's so awesome that you even have a doppler in which to hear the heartbeat going :)

I understand completely how you feel. I feel like I *must* produce a girl, but most of it is from my own feelings of "not wanting to miss out on something in life experience" and my family's strong desire for a girl. Personally, I am crazy about my boys, and I sincerely believe baby boys are so adorable and loving, and cuddly....they are so sweet & precious. Not saying a baby girl isn't...but there is something special and heartbreaking about a bundle of blue.

3Pink1Blue
February 7th, 2012, 06:50 PM
My placenta was/is on the left side and I'm having a boy so I'll say I don't have a lot of faith in it lol

mandicane
February 15th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I think the theory gets confusing when you add in the fact that the u/s pic is a mirror image! I have u/s pics for both babies at 6 weeks and I still have trouble figuring out which side their on. And apparently the placenta (even at this early stage) can be located differently from where the embryo is??? Confusing.

3Pink1Blue
February 16th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I agree, confusing. I was told what side mine was on so I got lucky and didn't have to guess :)

Tooblue
February 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read about the Ramzi theory, 6-7 weeks is when the ultrasound needs to be done and it also matters which type of u/s you had. If you had a vaginal u/s, the pic is true to the theory - if baby is on left, it means girl, if its on the right, it means boy. If you had an abdominal u/s, you need to flip the picture. If baby is on right of pic it's actually on left of uterus and vice versa for boy. Am I correct about that?

Indira
February 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I´m confused about this tooblue, I have read that the scan picture is always a mirror image, whether the scan was done transvaginal or not.
I would love it if what you are saying is true though :)

Tooblue
February 20th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I´m confused about this tooblue, I have read that the scan picture is always a mirror image, whether the scan was done transvaginal or not.
I would love it if what you are saying is true though :)

Yeah, that would make sense. I didn't understand how the transvaginal one would not need to be flipped. I'm so confused, because if the transvaginal one DOES need to be flipped as well, it means my sister's was wrong! In her pic, the baby was on the left and it was a girl. I guess I still need to read more about it.

deaks66
February 26th, 2012, 03:45 AM
From what I understand from lots of research into it and checking with the tech yesterday at my own scan, you really need to ask your tech to orientate the image saying which is left and right during a transvag because it depends on the tech and their equipment as to whether it needs to be flipped. During my transvag, the tech was definate that what was on the left of the screen and pics that she printed out was the opposite to real life so basically the left=my right.

nini
February 27th, 2012, 03:24 AM
I have read the whole study of Ramzi when pregnant with my dd. The study seems very reliable as he has monitored thousands of women!!! I agree with others though in saying the tricky thing is to actually determine CORRECTLY what side the placenta is on! Ramzi did so by using doppler u/s (he actaully ensured where the blood flow came from!). I dont think the "usual" dating scan cares about the side of the placenta to that extend.

My placenta was indeed attached to the left with my dd! But this I know from my OB, I asked him specifically during the scan. I would not recommend relying on stillshots at all! We just cannot tell for sure if what we see is located where we think! I just know this trap too well, guessing from still shots is really "only for fun" ;);)

rainbowflower
February 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read about the Ramzi theory, 6-7 weeks is when the ultrasound needs to be done and it also matters which type of u/s you had. If you had a vaginal u/s, the pic is true to the theory - if baby is on left, it means girl, if its on the right, it means boy. If you had an abdominal u/s, you need to flip the picture. If baby is on right of pic it's actually on left of uterus and vice versa for boy. Am I correct about that?

I had a transvaginal ultrasound with DS at 6+3, the baby was on the far left of the screen... and he is definitely a boy!

you're right that abdominal is meant to be the reverse (the waves are reflected up)

HOWEVER, both ultrasound devices can be manually "flipped" by the sonographer to flip right to left or vice versa