PDA

View Full Version : Am I being silly?!

zanacal
February 5th, 2012, 04:48 PM
We decided a few weeks ago to name our girl Eliza Grace. We've started using it - the boys talk to my tummy and use her name etc. Today my sister tells me they want to call their baby girl (due 2 weeks after mine) Alexa and I'm upset because they sound so similar. They have been planning on using Lexi which was fine but even DH says that Alexa is practically the same as Eliza. In fact, when we were talking about it I kept getting the names muddled up!

One of the reasons I like Eliza is that it's not really popular and I don't know anybody with that name but if she chooses a very similar name it ruins that aspect of it for me. I feel like I don't want to use Eliza if she's going to use Alexa - but at the same time I'm wondering why it should be me to come up with something different and our baby is already Eliza to us and has been for a while.

Am I being silly, should I just let it wash over me and stick with our plans?! She knows I'm upset but her boyfriend is stuck on this name and she'll do whatever he wants.

Hobbermittens
February 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM
If they call her Lexi, it won't sound bad with Eliza. I don't think you should change your baby name just because of that. I understand your concern, but I think you will resent your sister if you don't use the name you have picked for your baby.

HappyLea
February 5th, 2012, 05:09 PM
what a wonderful name you have picked, i wouldn't change it especially if you have your heart set on it and your boys are calling her Eliza also.
Stick with it hun, maybe they will change their mind once you actually have Eliza xx

nuthinbutpink
February 5th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I don't see them as the same. She will be Alex or Lexi. I wouldn't change it for that.

Cinss
February 5th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I don't think you are being silly at all. Eliza and Alexa are very similar sounding. My friend did this to me too, every name i would come up with, she found something so similar i had to keep changing my mind. The only thing that saved me was the fact that she was further along in the pregnancy than me. Towards the end i had to throw her false names so that she wouldn't use anything too similar to my favortite choice.

Why oh why do women do this!?! If you want to try to get her to change the name, i would suggest you only and always refer to her DD as Lexi. Like if some one asks about names with the 2 of you there, but in and say "Eliza and Lexi", tell your kids their cousin's name is Lexi, and if your sister has a problem with it, like correcting you, just keep telling her Eliza and Alexa is too much of a mouthful. If she feels that you have rejected Alexa as a name it may become less appealing to her.

TTC5
February 5th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I don't think they sound alike, keep your name for sure!

I have an Olivia and my sister wanted to call her next one Oliver.

love being a mummy
February 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Could be worse, she could want the same name. Do not change your name just cause of her choice. You never know she might change the name later on. Even if she doesn't change her mind. I don't think it really matters if they sort of sound a bit similar.

happyheart
February 5th, 2012, 06:39 PM
You have chosen a beautiful name!! I would not change it. :) I understand why you are upset, and I would be too.. But in time I don't think the name that they use will make a difference. :) :) I love the name and I love that you and your boys are talking to her using her name! So sweet! :)

sis4O
February 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
This is your baby girl (long waited for). Name her the name you LOVE as much you love her!! Your sisters choice should have no bearing on your choice. They don't live in the same house. Yes, they will be at family gatherings but this is her name for life (btw I don't find them that similar they just both end in a soft "a"). Eliza is going to be a beauty!!

My last ds born 10/10 was going to be Rylan my sil who also is one of my best friends had a baby 6 weeks before and named him Evan. She also has a Riley and Dylan. I had no issues because I really loved the name for my child. In the end he didn't look like a Rylan but that was definitely on my top list. Still is...........

Belle
February 6th, 2012, 02:37 AM
I'm with ttc5 they don't sound similar there both different names and meanings. We also have an Oliver an Olivia and an Ava in our immediate family and nobody has a problem with it because there still different names and it's our family. If I'm having a girl her middle name will be Alexa if Dh doesn't persist on it being her first, because we love it and it's Dh's name (Alex), grandpas name, cousins name and uncles name. Alexander runs in the family

Indira
February 6th, 2012, 04:49 AM
I agree with all the PP, you should use the name you choose! Otherwise you might regret it for a long time.
She will be carrying the name for all her life, you donīt want to be reminded for 70 years that you changed her name because of your sister.
If my sister would have a daughter and would pick the same name we would (if we would have a girl) Iīm not even sure if I would change it for that reason.
To me they donīt sound that similar, itīs not the same name. But even if it sounds similar to you, after 3 months everybody will be used to it and knowing the babies by then they will be two separate individuals.

zanacal
February 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm much less emotional about it today!

I was speaking to DS1 this morning and he said 'it doesn't matter mummy, because I like both names and that's good!'.

purplepoet20
February 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Eliza is such a great name I am sure you will all manage... and you could always come up with a special nickname.

My boys have their names, nickname off of that, and a special animal nickname... they answer to them all.

Flava
February 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I don't see how it sound alike?? For me it's so different!Just keep the name you love.

Inglewood
March 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM
Z, I agree this is ur long awaited girl and she'll be here before your sisters baby. You call her whatever u want to as u will end up regretting it! We have a Caelan and Callum in our family (dh side)... the same name really, but pronounced diff, but one is gaelic.