PDA

View Full Version : Hurt my DS1's feelings

Colourmepink
February 7th, 2012, 03:44 AM
Today I completely and utterly hit rock bottom. I allowed my gd in all it's ugliness out in front of my partner and children. I just wish I could take it all back.
My son was sharing his performance from school he and the others in his group made up - 3 girls (Winnie the pooh and rabbits) and 3 boys (robots) and he said how funnny it was that the robots destroyed the bunnies and bear and how all the class laughed.
It triggered something in me. I became toxic - lying on the lounge - undermining what he did because all that I saw was the gender divide rather than the 7year old humour (since both the boys and the girls made up the play).
My son isn't talking to me. He says he hates me and my partner told me I was low too.
This gd is impacting on me too much. Somedays are better than others, but since we have had to put on hold our HT trip to HRC I've been feeling it more and more.
Why did I do this? I'm the mother and need to hold it together, the last thing I want is for my sons to feel like I don't love what they do or that I'm not proud of them.
When I rang my mum she told me to get over it and enjoy the children I have. No empathy or advice from that corner....I just hope, after a play in the park, I can make it up to him somehow :(

Cinss
February 7th, 2012, 04:40 AM
We all have bad days, and we do take things out on the ones we love, But you know what, kids really do forgive and forget pretty quickly. Try not to be so hard on yourself, a play in the park may be just what you need too.

angel in a pink sky
February 12th, 2012, 07:49 AM
We all have moments just like you. It is so hard to keep GD from rearing it's ugly head. Don't be so hard on yourself it will blow over. I do have a suggestion.... Since your son likes robots there is a movie Real Steel with Hugh Jackman that he might like. You can rent it, pop a big bowl of popcorn and snuggle up with him on the couch. If he is older ask him to invite his robot friends over and make it a mini party. You will be a the cool mom and show him you like his robots. Just a thought.

somerlouise
February 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself. We all make mistakes and the fact that you feel badly and are trying to make it up to him is a good thing.

Hobbermittens
February 12th, 2012, 04:44 PM
I have been awful to my kids before too. It is hard when you are upset or emotional. Try not to beat yourself up over it... I am sure he will come around. I like Angel's idea to rent a robot movie with him. "The Iron Giant" is one that my kids like.