PDA

View Full Version : YI Pessary during late pregnancy - rant!!

ELP
February 7th, 2012, 04:32 AM
I was prescribed a pessary due to consistent YI during this pregnancy, this was last Wednesday their gestation of me 34 weeks. The midwife requested it, then the Dr writes up a prescription and the pharmacist then dispenses, so 3 health care professionals! I also had a long talk with the Dr that day (after he'd signed off the prescription) about our DD. So Thursday evening I inserted this pessary, the next day (Friday) I was getting twinges in my uterus and by Saturday I can only describe as being in quite heavy pain down there with some strong tightening's of the belly, mainly to the under left side like after-pains when you've had a few babies, painful!! DH was out so I had to phone him to be prepared because I was honestly quite frightened that something had been triggered. The pains gradually subsided over the next few days and I've had nothing yet today, so I'm thinking it was a reaction to the pessary??

Should I have been given any advice about using a pessary this late in pregnancy? I won't be using one again that's for sure!

atomic sagebrush
February 10th, 2012, 12:26 PM
OMG that is scary! I do totally think it could have been a reaction to the pessary. It may be perfectly safe in pg for most people but may be that your body just didn't "like" it!!