PDA

View Full Version : ok last one today i swear! calcium pill vs calcium in food

Coccinelle33
January 18th, 2011, 03:53 PM
is it better to get more calcium though the pills? after reading it seems like drinking milk to get calcium will raise blood sugars and also give lots of extra unwanted vitamins and calories?

lindi
January 18th, 2011, 04:34 PM
I know we were talking somewhere else about the added vit D actually swaying BOY, and low or non fat is best, since saturated fat raises testosterone. But the good thing is skim milk is more acidic than alkaline, so its helps with pH a little. But someone might know more- I *think* vits and minerals are always better absorbed when they are a food source.

atomic sagebrush
January 18th, 2011, 09:53 PM
They are, but we're not 100% sure if we WANT it better absorbed. Maybe ingesting a lot of it into your system and UNabsorbed is what is swaying somehow.

Until such time as we are able to test it scientifically, I believe that getting the majority of your calcium through supplements is ~probably~ better than through food because a) you're not getting the protein and calories in the dairy and b) you're not getting the Vit. D and A that are added to the dairy. We do know that higher testosterone does seem to sway blue, and that fat, protein, and Vit. D raises testosterone levels. Plus, you're absolutely right, all milk has carbs and skim actually has the most % calories from carbs. Carbs + protein is a recipe for keeping blood glucose higher longer.

As in everything, use your own best judgement and choose what YOU think is the best supported by the data!!

Coccinelle33
January 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM
how many glass would you drink if it were you?

Another princess
January 19th, 2011, 03:28 AM
Atomic sagebrush, does vit D sway boy then? I thought it was included in the girl sway supps list? Doesnt it aid absorbtion of calcuim and mag?

atomic sagebrush
January 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Another Princess - We are finding that Vit. D DOES raise testosterone and for that reason, may sway blue.

The calcium thing is proving to be less straightforward than we had hoped, because cultures around the equator where people eat hardly ANY calcium are actually having more girls than cultures who eat a lot of dairy. 75% of the people on the face of the planet are lactose intolerant and can't eat dairy at all, but still, they're having sons and daughers regardless of this.

It (Vit. D) is included in the girl supps list because traditionally, it is a girl supp, but I added a warning that it may raise testosterone. I don't blame anyone for wanting to take it or not taking it. I do know I conceived a baby boy taking massive amounts of calcium, magnesium, and Vit. D.

I know a lot of this is confusing, but we're trying really hard to find what is really swaying and what isn't. We are going to present both sides of the evidence and let people make up their own minds. I hope you guys can bear with us, our goal is to make it so as many people as possible get their DG.

atomic sagebrush
January 19th, 2011, 12:35 PM
how many glass would you drink if it were you?

Honestly, if it was me, I wouldn't drink it at all. I've conceived 4 of 4 boys drinking/eating tons of dairy foods. I would just do supps and honestly I don't even know if I would do them, either.

I'm not saying that's what anyone else should do, just that based on my history, I don't think calcium would get me a girl. There has to be more to it than that.

Another princess
January 19th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Haha Atomic sagebrush, nothing is ever straight forward is it?? Mm im so undecided now, however thanks for your honest opinions. Really do appreciate all your time and hard work. I can see what you are saying about your personal experiences. Its obviously not straight forward at all. When i conceived my daughter it was back in 2006 and i used the swaying practices which was available at the time. I did take calcuim, mag and vit d and tried to increase calcuim intake and reduce sodium and potassium but there was no diet suggestions at the time. I dont remember going overboard with the calcuim at all - probably ate more yogurt but i do remember focusing more on the reducing sodium/pot. Think i was probably taking in less calories when i conceived my daughter. When i conceived my son it was xmas and i had just got married so i was eating and drinking alot more, also taking multi vits with omega 3 and going to the gym 3 times a wk. All of with sway boy.

atomic sagebrush
January 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Yes, all I can do is lay out the evidence and my opinion and let people make their own choice. If it was easy and obvious, those old wives would have figured it out long before we came along!

Just know that this is one place where no one will ever be blamed or yelled at if their sway fails, because at the end of the day you can do everything "wrong" and get your DG and everything "right" and get an opposite.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Very helpful. ♥

Pixiedoll
January 20th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hello! I used a brilliant supplement by SOLGAR (on the net) Cal+Mag Citrate-really good quality. I also didn't really drink milk unless I was starving and desperate and would have it really hot with loads of sweetener. I used it as a useful ingredient in cooking but only drank that one cup of hot milk about 3 times a week. I did eat yogurt nearly every day but never ate any cheese at all not even Parmesan.

Hope this helps anyone! x

atomic sagebrush
January 20th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Thank you, very helpful!!!!

lindi
January 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Hello! I used a brilliant supplement by SOLGAR (on the net) Cal+Mag Citrate-really good quality. I also didn't really drink milk unless I was starving and desperate and would have it really hot with loads of sweetener. I used it as a useful ingredient in cooking but only drank that one cup of hot milk about 3 times a week. I did eat yogurt nearly every day but never ate any cheese at all not even Parmesan.

Hope this helps anyone! x

Thats interesting!- I just read cheese lowers progesterone, and apparently high progesterone sways girl. Thanks!

Coccinelle33
January 20th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Thank you, very helpful!!!!

really i had NO IDEA! atomic do you know anything about this?

atomic sagebrush
January 21st, 2011, 12:25 PM
About the progesterone and cheese? No, I hadn't heard of that yet. I'll look into it more. Thanks for sharing!

crystal-light
February 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I was thinking warm milk would be better than drinking cold milk. What do you all think?

lindi
February 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
warm foods are more alkaline I think. I can't find where I read the progesterone cheese thing so forget it!

Coccinelle33
February 4th, 2011, 11:42 PM
warm foods are more alkaline I think. I can't find where I read the progesterone cheese thing so forget it!

i could swear i was told that warm= acidic and cold= alkaline because i remember asking if it would be better to drink warm milk and everyone said eww but that yeah it would prb be better but not worth it.

lindi
February 5th, 2011, 12:43 AM
i could swear i was told that warm= acidic and cold= alkaline because i remember asking if it would be better to drink warm milk and everyone said eww but that yeah it would prb be better but not worth it.

oops you're right! warm milk makes me sleepy- not oo at all. I think honey is acidifying- a little dab of honey in warm milk yum!

atomic sagebrush
February 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't put much stock into that one. If you like warm milk, drink it, if you like cold, that's fine too.