PDA

View Full Version : so bummed about microsort

lindi
January 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM
I contacted microsort because I am a carrier for one of the 100 known x-linked conditions - red-green colorblindness, and they were checking with the medical director to see if I qualify for the current study. They just got back to me and said that the red/green colorblindness didn't qualify. I am bummed because microsort IUI is not that expensive AND once I really thought about it, I don't want my next child (it's carried in the X so only sons are affected) to be red green colorblind! It's actually something my father keeps a secret because his line of work concerns visual things and he fears discrimination. Ugh! Too bad. I wish we had qualified!

Liv
January 18th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I am sorry to hear that. I used MS with my IVF and PGD and have a 8 month old daughter. MS is not available right now but you can choose IVF/PGD to guarantee a daughter. Good luck!

lindi
January 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM
Yes but I don't want to go through all the major drama of IVF. I don't need a daughter guaranteed- it just would have been so easy to do the IUI, and I was so close to qualifying. I would be happy with a son, but honestly, my first son escaped it, and if I had another, I don't want him to be colorblind. Not the main resosn I;m swaying for a girl, but it's a reason.

skrimpy
January 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM
I wish Microsort and PGD were just available, period, without having to "qualify" in any way (disease or balancing...) it would make life a lot easier! I'm sorry you don't qualify lindi!

nuthinbutpink
January 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I'm sorry that you don't qualify. I am not sure when it might reopen and I don't think they are either. IVF would give you the guarantee but IVF is a lot to go through. It is a blip in time once you are through it, but it does not guarantee that you take home a baby but if it is a gene, you could test for that particular gene on all embryos and it would be up to you as to whether you transferred the unaffected boys if that was all you had to choose from.

lindi
January 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks ladies! I think I'll just be swaying, since it's definitely not a life threatening condition. It wasn't the main reason I want a DD, but it was a good reason to do the IUI if I qualified, mostly we just want family balancing.

Another princess
January 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Really sorry you didnt qualify for microsort. Praying that natural swaying will bring you a daughter.

Liv
January 18th, 2011, 08:04 PM
i hope you get your DD!

atomic sagebrush
January 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Two of my best friends did MS and it took them months/years (one was on the waiting list for a very long time). Neither one got pregnant and it was heartbreaking. The one on the waiting list is now unable to conceive at all, and the other swayed but got an opposite. The success rate of MS is very, very low, unfortunately.

I wish there was an option that wasn't just a choice between gambles.

lindi
January 19th, 2011, 04:40 PM
hmm. why is the success rate so low?

nuthinbutpink
January 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
The MS/IUI rate is low because of the sort process that makes the sperm very tired and it is more difficult to fertilize the egg. Also, unlike regular IUI where they might do two IUI's back to back, you just get one shot with an MS sort. The rate is 16% and that includes those that opt for injectible meds to increase the number of follicles.