PDA

View Full Version : A silly question...

zibibbogirl
February 11th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I am looking to come to the US for IVF/PGD later in 2012.

I will be about 35 when we undergo our first attempt. We are located in Australia and looking to have DH sample done here, cryopreserved and sent over to the US (it will be difficult for him to travel at the time of year I want to go) and it looks like it will cost about $900 compared to $1700 for a return flight to the US.

I am concerned, given my age that we won't have any normal XX to transfer (we want to do GSN).

I was wondering, is it possible for me to do the same as DH with ER? I know some ladies have ER and cryopreservation in case their fertility fails them later on.

Could I do a round of IVF here and have my eggs sent over to the US? Then I would not be going all that way to the US only to have no normal XX to tranfer. The cost of IVF in Australia is totally covered by my health insurance which is even better. Could you thaw both DH sample and my eggs and attempt the fertilization. When we know we have some normal XX I could then travel over for the ET... Or am I completely crazy.....?????

I am very much looking forward to your reply.

Zib

RedCanoe
February 11th, 2012, 10:06 PM
From what I have read (although I could be completely mistaken) unfertilized eggs don't freeze very well. But sperm I'm told freezes fine, so you could definitely freeze DH's sperm and use it later...

zibibbogirl
February 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for your reply RedCanoe.

It was just a thought. It is a pity that the eggs don't freeze well, because the US is sooo far away. I keep thinking that we will go through it all and just won't have a normal XX to transfer. Because I will be 35, I probably just won't have many eggs, so every one is precious.

We plan on doing GSN. Who knows I might be lucky and the normals (if any) might be XX. But I have read a few on this site who have had some normals to transfer but not the right gender and it is so sad. I guess we just have to give it a couple of tries.

Zib.

RedCanoe
February 11th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I worry about that too... I'm 34 and traveling from Canada (not as far as you, but multiple trips will be hard) so I know what you mean...