PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's Birth Story

3Pink1Blue
February 15th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I'd been having contractions off and on all day Friday Feb 10th. They were nothing to speak of but they were definitely there. I told Jon I'd be amazed if I made it through the night. At 8pm I declared myself done with the day and went to bed. Around 1am I woke up with some pretty good contractions, after a few had passed I decided to start timing them. Thank goodness there's an app for that. After a few I looked at the log, 4ish minutes apart. Time to call Jon, he had been sleeping on the couch to secure me maximum comfort and the best night sleep possible. He came up and I showed him the log, he watched me through a few contractions and decided it was time to wake the kids. A few minutes later, about 2:20, we were in the car. We got to the hospital and were in a room by 3 and I'd been checked, 6cm and 90% effaced! By 3:30 I was 7cm, shortly after my midwife broke my water. At that point things flew and Charlie arrived at 4:44am Feb 11th after 15 or so minutes of pushing. He came out screaming and was placed on my chest until the cord stopped pulsing. Jon cut him loose and they took him to be weighed while the placenta delivered. I was being given two small stitches when I heard 8lbs 13oz and 21 inches! I threw my arms up in victory. I had delivered my largest baby without any pain medication what so ever, I RULE!
Charlie was brought back to me and I tried to nurse but he wasn't interested. Oh well we'll try again upstairs in our postpartum room. Once we settled in I tried to nurse again, still rejected. We posted, we texted we took a gazillion pics. We saw the on call pediatrician and my midwife. We were cleared to leave as soon as he had his hearing and billi tests, oh and he had to eat. Hearing test done, billi done and blood sugar checked since it was now nearly 2pm and he still hadn't eaten. Blood sugar too low, I had 15-30 minutes to get him to eat or he'd be given formula. If he refused that, an IV. Ok it was now serious, we went back to the room and we began to torment him. Maybe if we got him good and mad and a little cold he'd seek comfort. After an epic battle it finally worked and he latched on, and immediately fell asleep. Well crap. I began to shake him, bug him, rub him anything to keep him sucking. After he finished we went back to the nursery for foot poke #2. Blood sugar back up but it's not enough, he needs 4 before we'll be released. Ugh, we'll be staying the night. Each draw got better and we were finally released around 8:30am Feb 12th ready to go home and enjoy our new family.

TTC5
February 15th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Congrats guys!!!!!! He is beautiful!

Hobbermittens
February 15th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Congrats! You did great pushing out such a big boy!! He is so adorable--enjoy every minute!!

My Fabulous Children
February 16th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Congrats hon, You did a good job mama xxx Enjoy your little man :awe:

Myloves
February 16th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Congrats on your sweet little boy!

Plum3
February 16th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Congratulations again! And thanks for sharing your birth story :)

Princess of Pink
February 16th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Congrats hon!! He is perfectly beautiful...exactly what I would hope my little boy would look like!!

nuthinbutpink
February 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Well done!

Indira
February 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Congratulations and great job!!

WashingtonPromise
February 16th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I love your feeling of victory!!! Congrats Jen.

Bumblebee
February 16th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Very many congratulations!!

purplepoet20
February 16th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Congrats on the little man! Start buying cars, trucks, trains, and planes because he doesn't want any dolls ;)

dloui128
February 16th, 2012, 09:25 AM
what a wonderful story, and no pain meds??!!! I bow down to you :)
Congratulations on a beautiful baby boy

zanacal
February 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Congratulations!

Flava
February 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Great story you did awesome! Congrats again!
XX

3Pink1Blue
February 17th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks everyone, it was truly everything I could have wanted in a birth and since then he's done nothing but eat. I realized I didn't post a pic of our little guy so here he is for those that didn't see him.
http://img.tapatalk.com/ae17c6ce-e333-c1f2.jpg

girlmom
February 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
you are my hero! great job mama

Foxy
February 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
What a great story! Well done mama! He is so cute! :)

ELP
February 20th, 2012, 06:08 AM
Finally getting around to posting on here!! Fantastic birth of your little man:HH: I bet your just reliving it in your head still lol aren't you!! Any signs of Jaws???:rofl:

Zivic-Bubac
February 24th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Huge congratulations!!!!!! I'm so happy for you, he is absolutely adorable!!!! :HH:
I love your birth story, excellent job! Enjoy your wonderful family!!!! :HH:
( Sorry for late congrats, but I'm constantly sick, so right now I'm trying not to vomit on key board :worry:)

littlebean
March 11th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Congratulations I love the name Charlie too!

I'm hoping not to have any pain medication with my 2nd born I had the gas last time and although it was really helpful I was a bit spacey so feel like I was not really 'present' during the birth.

You did a great job and your little man is adorable :)

3Pink1Blue
March 28th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Thanks ladies!