PDA

View Full Version : Scared To Use Vitex

Butterfly Spirit
February 23rd, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hi ladies,
I am CD 1 today and I did some research online. Some say to take Vitex during AF and other sources say to take it after AF. I was excited to take it but then I started really thinking about it. DS nurses ALL day long, which is why it's been so hard for me TTC since last June since my cycle returned after having DS#2 .
I'm worried about side effects as well. I am hypothyroid as well. I've never taken anything to help my fertility. Part of me really wants to, and the other part is raising a red flag. I don't want to harm my little guy, I would never forgive myself.
Any thoughts? Experiences? I'd love to hear all of them from all of you. Thanks so much!

~Butterfly

rainbowflower
February 24th, 2012, 02:00 AM
there is no evidence to suggest it is harmful to nursing LOs, they simply haven't tested it. I found a study that suggested only a minimal amount would make it into the milk anyway

your LO is older than 6 months, and weaning, right? if so, it's unlikely that, even though they feed a lot, that they will be taking much milk from you.

DS was feeding just twice a day when I took vitex, so to limit it's effects I would take a pill immediately after I'd fed him

ultimately you have to do what you can live with and what will give you less regrets long-term.

I don't actually think I could have conceived without taking vitex. my luteal phase (and possibly egg quality) simply wasn't good enough

atomic sagebrush
February 24th, 2012, 04:04 PM
If you are uncomfortable with it, then you shouldn't take it. And if you have thyroid issues, please consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking it, because I am neither.

I have taken vitex while BF two children and believe it to be safe and I won't take much of anything when BF! I agree with rainbow, I don't think I'd have conceived my 4th child without vitex.