PDA

View Full Version : when to take supps

lindi
January 19th, 2011, 05:37 PM
help? so, I'm not ttc yet- aiming for march/april, but should I take my supps all the way through the month now and then switch to taking like cranberry and vitex and peppermint tea only af-o?
If I am only supposed to take them af-o now even though we are avoiding pg, pls advise....I'm taking them all the way through the month!

atomic sagebrush
January 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM
It's fine to take them all through the month if you're not TTC, although with some of them like the Saw Palmetto and vitex, it may be best to give your bod a break from them. The reason why they're AF-O has more to do with the fact that we don't know if they're safe to take in early pg, not

Do me a favor though and take a pg test every month even if you're SURE you're not pg. I had what seemed to be a perfectly normal AF and resumed my supplements, but it turned out I was miscarrying a twin. My surviving son got a big dose of vitex for the next two weeks AND a month of the pink swaying diet. :(Thankfully he appears to be developing normally. Luckily I wasn't taking cran, SP, or peppermint.

Coccinelle33
January 20th, 2011, 06:19 PM
so you got pregnant with a boy on vitex? do you still think it's better when ttc a girl?

atomic sagebrush
January 21st, 2011, 12:45 PM
It is better when TTC a girl. Bar none. IT's not 100% guarantee though. Nothing in swaying is.

I was on a swaying break that month, eating the wrong foods, gaining weight, had the big O, didn't take antihistamine...I did A LOT wrong. Not even vitex could help me LOL!!!

lindi
January 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Ok- I have been charting and DH and I are super careful. I still might only take the vitex, licorice/white peony af-o, since I'm not sure but one of them gives me mild heart palpitations- I have Mitral Valve Prolapse, so I'm used to this, but I haven't felt it in a loooong time- actually I have lost a weird amount of weight in the past week, and the times the MVP affects me most is when I am underweight, so it might just be that.

atomic sagebrush
January 22nd, 2011, 04:51 PM
Be careful with that! I have MVP myself and I know it is NOT fun.

Be aware that licorice CAN raise blood pressure and higher blood pressure DOES give me palpitations.

lindi
January 22nd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Hmm. Interesting on the high blood pressure. God, I read about how much I want certain effects of these herbs, but then they can really screw you up too! Its a little unsettling.

atomic sagebrush
January 23rd, 2011, 10:23 AM
From Wikipedia -
"Liquorice affects the body's endocrine system as it contains isoflavones (phytoestrogens). It might lower the amount of serum testosterone slightly,[14] but whether it affects the amount of free testosterone is unclear. Consuming liquorice can prevent hyperkalemia.[citation needed] Large doses of glycyrrhizinic acid and glycyrrhetinic acid in liquorice extract can lead to hypokalemia and serious increases in blood pressure, a syndrome known as apparent mineralocorticoid excess. These side effects stem from the inhibition of the enzyme 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (type 2) and subsequent increase in activity of cortisol on the kidney. 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase normally inactivates cortisol in the kidney; thus, liquorice's inhibition of this enzyme makes the concentration of cortisol appear to increase. Cortisol acts at the same receptor as the hormone aldosterone in the kidney and the effects mimic aldosterone excess, although aldosterone remains low or normal during liquorice overdose. To decrease the chances of these serious side effects, deglycyrrhizinated liquorice preparations are available. The disabling of similar enzymes in the gut by glycyrrhizinic acid and glycyrrhetinic acid also causes increased mucus and decreased acid secretion. It inhibits Helicobacter pylori, is used as an aid for healing stomach and duodenal ulcers, and in moderate amounts may soothe an upset stomach. Liquorice can be used to treat ileitis, leaky gut syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn's disease as it is antispasmodic in the bowels.[15]

The compounded carbenoxolone is derived from liquorice. Some studies indicate it may inhibit an enzyme in the brain that is involved in making stress-related hormones, which have been associated with age-related mental decline.[16]"

"Excessive consumption of liquorice or liquorice candy is known to be toxic to the liver[23] and cardiovascular system, and may produce hypertension [24] and oedema.[25] In occasional cases blood pressure has increased with excessive consumption of liquorice tea, but such occasions are rare and reversible when the herb is withdrawn.[26] Most cases of hypertension from liquorice were caused by eating too much concentrated liquorice candy.[27] Doses as low as 50 grams (2 oz) of liquorice daily for two weeks can cause a significant rise in blood pressure.[28]

The European Commission 2008 report suggested that “people should not consume any more than 100mg of glycyrrhizic acid a day, for it can raise blood pressure or cause muscle weakness, chronic fatigue, headaches or swelling, and lower testosterone levels in men.” Haribo, manufacturer of Pontefract cakes, stated: “Haribo advises, as with any other food, liquorice products should be eaten in moderation.” A 56-year-old Yorkshire woman was hospitalized after liquorice overdose (200 grams or 7 oz a day), which caused muscle failure. The hospital restored her potassium levels, by intravenous drip and tablets, allowing her to recover after 4 days.[29]

Comparative studies of pregnant women suggest that liquorice can also adversely affect both IQ and behaviour traits of offspring.[30]"

From Medline Plus -

"Licorice is LIKELY SAFE for most people when consumed in amounts found in foods. It is POSSIBLY SAFE when consumed in larger amounts use as medicine, short-term. However, it is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when used in large amounts for more than four weeks. Consuming 30 grams or more of licorice daily for several weeks can cause severe side effects including high blood pressure, low potassium in the blood, weakness, paralysis, and occasionally brain damage in otherwise healthy people. In people who eat a lot of salt or have heart disease, kidney disease, or high blood pressure, as little as 5 grams per day can cause these problems.

Other side effects of licorice use include tiredness, absence of a menstrual period in women, headache, water and sodium retention, and decreased sexual interest and function in men."

The other downsides of licorice aside from the health stuff, is that it does seem to thin mucus, elevate the level of sodium in the blood, and raise estrogen. Those things might not be desirable for a pink sway anyway. On the other hand it does seem to lower potassium (almost too much and that can be dangerous for those of us with heart conditions because it can trigger arrhythmia).

I"m not trying to talk you out of giving it a go if you want to, but I would not take it months in advance of your sway.