PDA

View Full Version : Very light AF- due to illness or something else?

starflower
February 29th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hi Ladies,

Well I was all psyched up after this months attempt... good diet, had lost weight, DH did FR and we BD through O, used Rephresh every few days and sml amount of Sylk with attempt. on CD 12 I was all psyched to test, conviced I would see a good outcome.... instead AF showed up :(

Here's the thing.... it showed up 3 days earlier than it should have, and my cycles are usually very regular with a 14 day luteal phase, however my cycles are usually ony 25-28 days. AF was VERY light, and I do mean VERY when I say very light. Not much on a sanitary pad, but when I wiped I would see a bright coloured, light, thin fluid.... sounds strange but it was 'brighter' in colour than normal AF, I guess normal blood colour almst has a dark colour to it if that makes sense? This was light, thin and brightly coloured.

In total it lasted 1.5 days, hardly anything on a pad and more spotting than anything. I would guess we are talking about a few tablespoons of liquid in total.

A big part of me was very hopeful that this might not be AF and that it could be implantation bleeding instead. I have gotten nothing but BFN's since then :( "AF" started Saturday, finished Sun lunchtime and today is Wednesday.... so either CD5 if that was AF, or 16DPO if it was not. I'm guessing if it was implantation then I would have seen a BFP by now though right? Plus in all honesty, in early stages of ph with DS I experienced a metallic taste in my mouth, strong sense of smell etc... I have none of that this time around :(

The other thing is that about 3-4DPO in the last cycle I was struck down with very bad food poisoning... I had very bad gastro symptoms that lasted about 18hrs or so including severe vomiting. I could not keep anything down and thought at one stage I might have to go to Hospital it was that bad.... thankfully it passed and I was back to normal the day after. I did lose 2-3kg from this one day alone. When I used 'Dr Google' to see what could cause a light period answers such as poor diet, eating disorder etc kept appearing. Could the Food Poisoning have caused this extremely light period I experienced? Maybe something else I have not thought of?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated xxx

atomic sagebrush
February 29th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Both vitex and diet can cause lighter periods and that actually may be a good sign for your sway that your estrogen levels are lower than they were before.

I've also had a few months thru my life where I just had light AF like that with no explanation. The food poisoning, I do not believe could have affected your lining at that stage of the game because it would have already formed by ovulation. If it had happened prior to ovulation than it could have been but by the time O comes, the lining is pretty much what it's supposed to be at that point.

~sometimes~ this can indicate that you didn't ovulate, but I had a superlight AF one month from vitex and conceived the next even tho I lost more weight. Did you get a pos OPK??

Butterfly Spirit
March 1st, 2012, 04:43 AM
And you could be having implantation bleeding! Some women just wipe once or twice and it's gone, others spot on and off for a week. Who knows, you could have had a late ovulation! Just wait and see! :)

The only symptoms I had with DS#2 was implantation bleeding for one night and a bit of cramping when my period should had began. I have a slew of symptoms when I am TTC and "think" I could be pregnant LMAO.. :rofl:

Good Luck Sweetie!

PS.. Take An OPK and see what happens!!!!

starflower
March 1st, 2012, 05:00 AM
Thanks for the response atomic and butterfly spirit!

Atomic, interesting you say that may be a good sign re- estrogen levels? I am not actually taking Vitex as I have aleays had very regular cycles of 25 or 28 days (but never 26, or 27... weird huh?!) and was hesitant to take anything that may screw them up.... although I must admit, recent events such as this has me thinking I should take it? Oh and yes I used OPK's and had a definite +ve result, looks like I O'ed on CD 13 and the strange AF arrived on CD 25?

Butterfly, I would love it if you were right! Unfortunately it is now 5 or 6 days post what would have been the implantation bleed and BFN's all the way :( I was so convinced that it had to be implnatation as it was just sooo weird! Looks like it was just 'one of those things' though and we will have to try again.... sigh, this is so hard and so emotionally draining :(

Butterfly Spirit
March 1st, 2012, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the response atomic and butterfly spirit!

Atomic, interesting you say that may be a good sign re- estrogen levels? I am not actually taking Vitex as I have aleays had very regular cycles of 25 or 28 days (but never 26, or 27... weird huh?!) and was hesitant to take anything that may screw them up.... although I must admit, recent events such as this has me thinking I should take it? Oh and yes I used OPK's and had a definite +ve result, looks like I O'ed on CD 13 and the strange AF arrived on CD 25?

Butterfly, I would love it if you were right! Unfortunately it is now 5 or 6 days post what would have been the implantation bleed and BFN's all the way :( I was so convinced that it had to be implnatation as it was just sooo weird! Looks like it was just 'one of those things' though and we will have to try again.... sigh, this is so hard and so emotionally draining :(

Don't give up just yet. I don't get a BFP until 10 days after I have implantation bleeding! :) Just keep testing. Get a bunch of the cheapie strips off of ebay!

atomic sagebrush
March 2nd, 2012, 12:08 PM
I'm sorry it's rough! I hope next month is doubly easy and smooth to make up for it! :)