PDA

View Full Version : Is it really uncommon to have 3 of the same rather than 2 of the same

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 2nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Do you think there are more eyes turning and more comments made with having 3 of the same gender than 2 of the same gender?

I am wondering for people that have 3 kids, is it more common to have mixed gender?

I was talking to my therpist and I think he kind of said it is not so common to have 3 of the same.

I want to just start feeling that there are lots around me that have 3 girls or 3 boys and I want to stop feeling like I stand out.

Today I went to pick up my 2 older ones from an after school center and nobody said a word to me about me having 3 girls. I was mingling and socializing with those mothers that I like and my husband was there also.

I just know when I had my 2 girls nothing was really said ever. I just got the occasional, are you going to have any more kids.

I guess I am still struggling on being out in the public and me being WELL PREPARED for combacks to dumb comments.

And I know that even if you get your dg after 2 or 3 of the same you still get "OH finally you got your boy or girl".

You ladies are great and I am thankful that I can come here and vent out.

atomic sagebrush
March 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM
huh - I really think the therapist is WRONG! I see 3 of one gender, at least once and usually more than once, everywhere I go!! I also see 4 of all one gender families I would say at least 3 times a week.

Princess of Pink
March 2nd, 2012, 09:39 PM
I think the larger majority of the population who have 3 children have all one gender...well at least from what I have seen here. Most people go on to have an opposite for #4....then another large chunk who have 4 the same will have an opp for #5....it's rare to have 5+ of the same gender but not unheard of. I work with a lady who has 4 boys. And know heaps of people with 4 of the same gender.

Hobbermittens
March 2nd, 2012, 09:59 PM
I know a lot of people with 3 of the same gender! I don't think it is unheard of at all.

myGirl
March 2nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
I notice lots of people everywhere with 3 of one gender, even 4 of a kind isn't too rare. I have 3 boys, my cousin has 3 boys, DH's sister has 4 boys, neighbor just had her 3rd boy, DH's cousin had a boy after 4 girls, and my aunt had a boy after 3 girls. There are quite a few at my boys' school with 3-4 of the same gender.

After I had my 3rd boy, I got comments of course, usually the standard "Are you going to try for a girl?" It can get frustrating because I hate being reminded I am daughter-less. I usually would say something about having my hands full and not having even considered it.

I think when people tell us how rare it is to have 3 of a kind, they are just trying to highlight how special we are (meaning it as a compliment). I have to remind myself that most people I meet are not gender-obsessed like I am, so their comments are innocent chit-chat.

girlmom
March 3rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
i notice alot of 3 of a kind but usually for some reason the 4th is a different gender. not unheard of but most times with or without a sway i notice girl moms having a boy or boy moms having a girl. i was for me. 3 daughters with the 1st husband and 3 daughters with the 2nd husband although one was a twin. finally a boy for us!

fivebabies
March 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
I see it alot too. It's not uncommon at all. :)

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
When I speak to my therapist again, I am going to bring this up to him. Because I know it is more common (probably) to have mixed gender with over 2 kids, but I also do see a good amount of 3 boys, 3 girls etc.......

wilma_five
March 4th, 2012, 12:16 PM
When I had #3 boys no one seemed to notice. The nasty comments startend with #4 (and got even worse when they saw my baby belly)!

NYFamilyOfFiveRoses
March 4th, 2012, 07:50 PM
When I had 2 daughters I got comments, but I did not take them as hard being I knew maybe one day I would try for #3.

But now I am almost positive we are done so I take it much harder.

Right now I cannot even believe that my main concern is to loose this last 10 pounds more than anything else.

chocolate
March 5th, 2012, 08:15 AM
I think 2 of the same are just less noticed than 3 of the same etc. Friends with 2 children of the same gender generally get an 'ahh, nice to have 2 the same but shame about not having the other gender' but people say it once and forget it then focus on it being nice having 2 of the same. Where as 3+ tends to get more comments like 'wow, 3 boys/girls' as if they are suprised we seem to only make one gender as if they presume the 3rd would always be the other gender.

Im certain our 3rd on the way is another boy and can't be bothered with the pity looks from others, Im already feeling knackered but this is being made worse by people saying 'wow, 3 boys, youll be soo worn out'.

ELP
March 5th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I don't think its uncommon to have 3 but it is more eye-catching in a special way. ie, theres a lady who goes to my school, she has 3 girls all a year apart, and I see them coming to school each morning (because they're always late like me lol) but they always make me want to stop and watch them as they just seem so special?? And a lady I saw in the shop who had 4 boys all a head apart in age, so very unique!! People, even myself with my own 3 in a row, do just want to admire the ?? I don't know the words?? its just special, its the same face just a different height and with slight differences, I suppose its like peoples fascination with twins, so similar but different and when theres 3+ it just makes it even more intriguing to see, but not in a bad way, just in a not seen every day way:)

Comments, well thats just the domain of the idiots isn't it lol!! I went shopping over xmas and brought my 5 girls and I didn't twig for a while why people were staring at me!! I thought I must have looked unclean or like a shop lifter or something, then I twigged and realised it must be because I just had the ladies with me lol, I started to randomly say to these people 'We couldn't find the blue aisle!' to which they'd smile and stop staring:)

NY, you just have a unique, eye catching family;)

envisioned
March 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
I honestly don't know if it's uncommon or if we don't see another older sibling that may be at school etc. All I know is that lately I have been immensely saddened and consumed by the families I see out in public, because it feels like everywhere I go, everyone has a PP.

I remember once being at the grocery store paying and putting away my groceries. Behind was a PP. To the left of me was a PP. The right of me was a PP. And the couple just leaving the aisle over was walking out had a PP. I tried super fast to pack up and get out of there with my 2 DD's and I got into the car and I just started to cry. It feels like everyone has the boy/girl mix and I am trying so hard to understand why I don't when to me it seems like the average.

I was the at the doctors office this week and a woman had her son and then her twin baby boys in the stroller. And some older woman made some comment like "wow she must have her hands full" but what I noticed the most was how she looked at my youngest DD. And I know that look, b/c it was probably the same look I was giving her twin boys. A look of wistfullness combined with envy and frustration. Because everyone us had the blended family in the waiting room. And even the one mother that her her 2 boys there, had to mention to me that their older sister was in school. And I was like oh ok. Like good for you? What am I supposed to say? I suck because I don't have a son.

I don't know. I wish I had an answer but I very rarely see 3 of the same. I feel like I am plagued with PP couples all around me.

I Love Ladybugs
March 17th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Three or four of a kind is a pretty standard family makeup where I live......don't really have a lot of pals who have PP, and only now are some having boy after girls or visa versa!