PDA

View Full Version : Red cabbage gender test - did it work?

rainbowflower
March 3rd, 2012, 05:58 AM
I had a go for the first time ever following these instructions: Red Cabbage Gender Determination Test (http://www.pregnancy.org/article/red-cabbage-gender-determination-test)

I thought it was meant to either change to purple or pink/red, mine was this colour (using 2MU - I forgot to collect FMU):

did it not work?

pinkin2011
March 3rd, 2012, 06:58 AM
That looks blue to me???? Maybe its a shade of purple???????????

rainbowflower
March 3rd, 2012, 08:36 AM
maybe! I did a google and saw 1 other person who also had blue... and then found out they were having another boy! it's clearly not an accurate test :)

Hobbermittens
March 3rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I tried it but I don't know if it "worked" yet, since I don't know gender. Mine was fuchsia. I think mine was a girl result? But atomic and others pointed out that it is a pH test, so it really depends of what you last ate. I might try mine again and see what I get.

I wonder if your pee was too diluted or something? I wonder how it turned blue??

Also, I am not sure if you are supposed to go by the color of when it is held to the light or not. That makes a difference.

Mochagirl
March 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
Mine was the darkest purple-black when I looked at it from the side - virtually unchanged from the colour of the cabbage water on its own, but when I held it up to a light it was a bright fuchsia like Hobber had. I notice that when I search for others' results very few seem to post pictures with a light source behind it, since it does definitely change the results.

Did you make sure to mix it exactly 50/50? What colour was your cabbage water before mixing it with pee?

girlmom
March 3rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
you have every chance for a girl, these tests are just for fun. i had a girl result with the cabbage and the baking soda and various others. only the iris test and the bleach test gave me boy results.

Butterfly Spirit
March 4th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Red cabbage gender test. It was RIGHT!!! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT1JNEiVAuE)

Check this similar result out.. See how dark bluish purple it is... she had a baby GIRL!

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Sorry Negative Nelly must speak up here and point out that red cabbage is only a low tech pH test (and in fact it was what they used to test pH back before the invention of pH sticks.) It simply measures the pH of the last foods you've eaten/drank. This test is meaningless so please only do it for fun - no one despair or get your hopes up over it! :)

I suspect that no one wanted to post their "I peed on cabbage and ended up with an opposite" test on youtube.

Butterfly Spirit
March 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Red Cabbage Gender Prediction Done 4x - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dZlrcyIYIw)

Another one.. she did hers last month.. so we'll have to see what she has ;)

Butterfly Spirit
March 4th, 2012, 05:56 PM
umbumgo's Channel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/umbumgo#p/u/114/E-VHwQQhqRY)

Boy result. Boy delivered. See the obvious red tones? :)

Well Atomic, I guess we'll just wait and see. :LOL: I'm a believer, and I say GIRL! :P

atomic sagebrush
March 4th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Believe all you want to and you may also post as many youtube videos as you like, but the fact is that dozens/hundreds of women have peed on pH sticks and Drano test and even the gender pee tests, and had opposite results. I took my intelligender test: proof it's a scam - In-Gender.com (http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/t/51130.aspx) (here is one thread of HUNDREDS) A woman on IG actually tested her pee then drank a bunch of cranberry juice and took the test again and got the opposite result. I THINK I FOUND OUT HOW INTELLIGENDER WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!! - In-Gender.com (http://www.in-gender.com/cs/forums/t/23299.aspx) The pH of your urine tells you NOTHING about gender swaying whatsoever either before or after conception, and if anyone would like a second opinion, please ask Tamara because she will agree with me 110% and she's been on these boards twice as long as I have and seen way more people than me get opposites on the pee tests.

There are also hundreds of youtube videos of ghosts, aliens, chupacabres, Kobe Bryant leaping over a car, Mythbusters has debunked several themselves...a youtube video is not evidence of anything. In fact I found this youtube video that appears to prove Adrian Brody can travel under the sea and into outer space BRODYQUEST - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygI-2F8ApUM)

Sorry to sound like a hard ass but the problem is people get REALLY upset over these old wives tales. They get depressed for no reason or what's even worse, they get their hopes up terribly high and then are devastated when they show up at an ultrasound expecting a certain result and hear the opposite.

girlmom
March 5th, 2012, 12:58 AM
like i said i did the stupid cabbage test and got good strong girl results. unless his penis feel off over the last few weeks it was wrong. same with drano, and baking soda, intelligender, chinese baby charts, biorythems and something with wheat seeds i read about. all girl results. but it will be correct 50% of the time. if you want i can flip a coin and give you just as much accuracy.

rainbowflower
March 5th, 2012, 02:16 AM
if pH is diet related and diet sways, you'd expect it to be right more than 50% of the time, but of course not 100%! (especially as my diet has since changed). Probably a grain of truth in it... but not that accurate.
the website I got the instructions from said purple = girl, pink/reddish = boy. I did also use exactly 50-50 of the water and pee, I'm strict when following instructions lol

well, what will be will be - whatever gender baby is is it's not going to suddenly change now lol

pinkin2011
March 5th, 2012, 02:34 AM
how many weeks do you need to be to do the test?

Butterfly Spirit
March 5th, 2012, 02:49 AM
how many weeks do you need to be to do the test?

8-10 weeks is most accurate.

HappyLea
March 9th, 2012, 08:43 AM
I may do this test just for a giggle, DH will think i have gone totally bonkers tho :rofl:

HappyLea
March 9th, 2012, 01:47 PM
ok so out of sheer madness i tried this today. Only 4+ weeks tho.

It was fuscia pink so either this bambino is a boy or like Atomic says its from what you last eat and me and boys just had a naughty McDonalds and some chocolate while watching a dvd :oops:

Irishmom
May 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
So like a mad woman I tried this today lol.it is a purple shade but other pics I've seen are much darker purple. What do you think?

BeadinMom
May 27th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Sorry Irishmom, I wouldn't even venture guess. I would be so afraid to get my hopes up on something so iffy.
I do hope and pray that there's a sweet little pink bean cooking in your belly, though! :)

Irishmom
May 27th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Lol i know beadingmom it's all just a bit of fun. ;) x

Violet_
November 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Lol i know beadingmom it's all just a bit of fun. ;) x

As long as people understand that is all it is. Just hope nobody gets devo if it's opposite to what they thought.

Butterfly Spirit
November 30th, 2012, 09:21 PM

I just saw this old thread pop up and had to add my result. As you ladies can see it's a BLARING BOY RESULT! And clearly I'm not carrying a boy. :)
Please don't take any stock in this test at all... I used to ... but I now wave the white flag with it.

Hobbermittens
December 2nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I agree, this test is dumb! I don't have a picture of mine, but it was magenta when held to the light, and dark purple when not held to the light, which = girl. And I clearly had a boy.

(by the way, Butterfly, I am impressed at how clean your stove top is!)

6bluewant1pink
December 3rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
irishmom mine looked a lot like yours did with my last son.

Inky
January 9th, 2013, 12:22 PM
I agree with atomic. However, I have to say my PH doesn't seem to change much. Sometimes it's 4-6, sometimes it's 6.5-7. Most of the time it's 5-6. It doesn't seem to matter what I eat though, it's almost never 6.5-7 and never more than that, but it DOES change somewhat and the truth is with those ph gender tests a 6 would be girl and a 7 would be boy so that small change is enough to change the gender result.

I think the PH test is based on either 1) assuming that OWT about cravings are true or 2) assuming your PH while pregnant is the same as while TTC under the belief that low PH while TTC will sway girl and high PH will sway boy. And even if the latter was true (re: PH while TTC) there are two things to keep in mind: 1) PH while pregnant can change from while TTC, especially if your diet changes and 2) even if PH while TTC "works" it's still only a SWAY which means people will still get opposites (as I suspect I did).