PDA

View Full Version : What is a chemical pregnancy?

miffy
March 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM
I am 6 weeks pregnant after IVF/PGD in Brno (Czech republic)!:-D:fingers:
I have not done an ultrasound yet and only urine pregnancy tests.
I hear some women talk about chemicals and get worried, what is that? A pregnancy that is not real?
Iīm afraid this isīnt for real...

glory
March 5th, 2012, 12:32 AM
It's not that it isn't real, but basically you get positive home pregnancy tests and you may have the blood test results come back normal and increase, but at some stage the pregnancy hormone decreases and it is generally because of chromosomal issues with the embryo. It generally happens early on.

At 6 weeks, you can think about having an early scan or a dating scan and this could show the heartbeat, generally once you see a heartbeat, things go smoothly from there.

girlmom
March 5th, 2012, 12:38 AM
i had a chemical once. i got several positive pregnancy tests and at 7 weeks i went in because of a small amout of spotting. basically i had a sac but it was empty no baby ever grew. i think thats what a chemical is. you get a postive you get all the hormones and you really are pregnant but somethings don't form right early on.

Plum3
March 5th, 2012, 03:14 AM
A chemical pregnancy occurs when you get a positive result either via urine or blood before your period is due. You will then bleed a few days later. Your period is usually a few days later than usual and that's why alot of women who have chemical pregnancies don't even know it. They just think their period is a bit late.

At 6 weeks a pregnancy loss wouldn't be classified as a chemical pregnancy, it would be a miscarriage.

Anyway, I'm sure you don't need to worry about it. Good luck :)

miffy
March 5th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Yhank you!
Im gonna book an early scan today!! :-)

miffy
March 5th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Got a scan 27/3... Too loooong!! I'll be 8+3 then, guess it makes sense. But I want to see her now! Hard to believe she's even there...

perrypop3
March 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Hello, wanted to say hi because I'm 6 weeks too and am waiting on my
heartbeat ultrasound, I too have been so scared about chemical pregnancy
and was too nervous to ask! My first scan has been booked for this Friday, my doctor
wanted me to scan 6 weeks, then 9 and 10. Good luck to you, I too had one girl
transferred and 1 to the freezer ;)

lisvna
March 5th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Miffy are they doing genderselection openly in Brno clinic? Or do you have to say something else?

miffy
March 6th, 2012, 03:03 AM
They don't offer genderselection on paper, so I said I was afraid of downs syndrome and didn't want to have to go through an abortion if I had a sick fetus. And in the same email I said that I also thought it was a huge bonus that you could se the sex of the embryos since I have two boys! So they knew.

miffy
March 6th, 2012, 03:05 AM
Perrypop: that's wonderful, congrats! Where did you go? Was this your first attempt? Boy or girl? :-)

miffy
March 6th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Oh, I saw now you also want a girl! Good luck on your scan, wish I had one that early too!

perrypop3
March 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Perrypop: that's wonderful, congrats! Where did you go? Was this your first attempt? Boy or girl? :-)

Thanks miffy congrats to you too! I went to HRC in the US, it was my first cycle and yes I transferred a girl :) all the best for the wait till your scan, hope it goes quick for you x

Lilian78
March 6th, 2012, 08:00 PM
I think at this stage you're too late for a chemical. The one I had was seriously about 3 days of positive tests followed by negative and bleeding. I wouldn't worry ... Wishing you lots of luck!

miffy
March 8th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Good luck tomorrow perrypop!

applesoup
March 8th, 2012, 02:21 PM
With my chemical pregnancy, I got a positive pregnancy test. (It was a shock because I was nursing & on the mini-pill.) I went in to my DR, they did an ultrasound, and nothing was there--no sac, nothing. I never actually bled from it & couldn't get another positive test. I was pregnant & by the time I could confirm it, the baby had reabsorbed into my body it was so early on. It was a weird experience.

perrypop3
March 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM
With my chemical pregnancy, I got a positive pregnancy test. (It was a shock because I was nursing & on the mini-pill.) I went in to my DR, they did an ultrasound, and nothing was there--no sac, nothing. I never actually bled from it & couldn't get another positive test. I was pregnant & by the time I could confirm it, the baby had reabsorbed into my body it was so early on. It was a weird experience.

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry you had to deal with that, I'm so pleased to see you have a little girl on her way now though :)

miffy
March 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Hos did the ultrasound go PP?

perrypop3
March 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Ah thanks for thinking of me, I've changed it to Thursday after all. I did have one last week, they confirmed a gestational sac and it is in the uterus, but too early for HB. Hopefully they'll see a HB on Thursday. When's your scan?

miffy
March 12th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Mine is two weeks from now, 27/3! Feels like forever... Well good luck Thursday!

perrypop3
March 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Mine is two weeks from now, 27/3! Feels like forever... Well good luck Thursday!

Ooo good luck, hope time flies by for you