PDA

View Full Version : Bedrest

nuthinbutpink
January 20th, 2011, 09:21 PM
There seems to be differing opinions regarding bedrest. Is it more a mental thing or is there some merit in walking around in regards to bloodflow and not laying around for several days?

I did bedrest for the rest of the day after my transfer but the next morning, I had to get back to being a mom-lol.

How important is bedrest??

Mykids
January 20th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Great Question , i would be intrested in knowing Dr potter's views.

Liv
January 21st, 2011, 01:12 AM
The first day I did total BR, the second I mostly stayed in my bed but walked a little around the house and the third day I hung out on my couch.

Lillylolly
January 21st, 2011, 02:22 AM
Great question! Watching out for the answer...

Dr. Potter
January 21st, 2011, 04:11 PM
There seems to be differing opinions regarding bedrest. Is it more a mental thing or is there some merit in walking around in regards to bloodflow and not laying around for several days?

I did bedrest for the rest of the day after my transfer but the next morning, I had to get back to being a mom-lol.

How important is bedrest??There really is not scientific support for bedrest after embryo transfer. With the first successful IVF case, they kept the patient at strict bedrest (in the hospital!) for the 2 weeks after her transfer. There has been a gradual decrease nearly every year since. Studies that have randomized patients to bed rest versus no bedrest have failed to support the notion that bed rest is important. I suggest that patients have a about 48 hours of decreased activity after the transfer. Patients should stay off their feet as much as possible, getting up to go to the bathroom or undertake basic tasks like showering and eating. If there are stairs in the house, I ask that they only go up and down once per day during this time. That all being said, I have had many patients that have gotten up off of the transfer table and headed straight to the airport with pregnancy occuring.