PDA

View Full Version : Crock Pot recipies...

Lillylolly
January 21st, 2011, 02:32 AM
Let's start a thread full of recipes that are tried and tested! I must admit, our crock pot has been used only a handful of times. I am very interested in trying out some healthy recipes that are family favourites in your home...

grits
January 21st, 2011, 08:36 AM
I have a White Chili recipe that is delicious. When I get to a computer I'll post it.

Lillylolly
January 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Mmmmm what is white chilli? I am intrigued ...

Gus
January 21st, 2011, 11:01 AM
The only thing I really use my crock pot for is beef stew. I tried to make chicken noodle soup once but it was not very good.

GreaseMonkey
January 21st, 2011, 11:05 AM
I usually get either a pork loin or beef roast and brown it on both sides and let it rest. The I cut up chunky potatoes and carrots and put the meat on top. I use chicken or beef broth, depending on the type of meat I use and 2 cups of water and cook on high for 4-5 hours! Everyone loves it and there are no leftovers left lol

P.S Not sure about how healthy it is though lol

atomic sagebrush
January 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Oooh I do have a good one for this. If you take boneless pork chops and brown them real quick, then throw them in the Crock Pot on top of potatoes, carrots, chopped onion and celery (celery optional!) and then smother the whole thing in ketchup and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low all day, it's really good. It sounds hideous I know but my mom made this every week without fail and we all loved it.

She also did whatever steak was on sale topped with stewed tomatoes in the crock pot and that was pretty tasty too!

CocoChanel
January 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
I have a really good mac and cheese crockpot recipe, but it isn't really considered healthy. I've got another one where you put a can of beer in with Lipton onion soup mix with a roast, so that probably isn't too healthy either. :oops: (very good though). The easiest one I do, is throw a pork roast in there, smother with BBQ sauce and then shred for piggy sandwiches. I am all about easy and basic food around here :happy:

nuthinbutpink
January 21st, 2011, 02:15 PM
For simple bar-b-q chicken, you can throw chicken breasts in there with some water and then shread them when they are done and dump sauce in. It's something I can do early and we eat when we are ready. I like cornbread with it and green beans.

december
January 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM
I have a really good mac and cheese crockpot recipe, but it isn't really considered healthy.
Healthy or not, please share! I think DH would love me forever if I did a crockpot mac and cheese thing.

CocoChanel
January 21st, 2011, 02:31 PM
OK, I'll share...but I never said it was healthfood! I actually do not like mac and cheese very much, but I do like this one.

16 oz macaroni
1/2 stick margarine
2 eggs beaten
12 oz can evaporated milk
1 can Campbell's cheese soup
1 cup milk
4 cups cheese (confession: I add more cheese than this)

Cook macaroni noodles and add to crock pot with the margarine.
Put eggs, milk, soup, 3 cups cheese in a bowl and combine. Pour into crock pot.
Cover and cook on low 4 hours. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, and cook 15 minutes more. :HH:

Tweens&aBaby
January 21st, 2011, 02:47 PM
OK, I'll share...but I never said it was healthfood! I actually do not like mac and cheese very much, but I do like this one.

16 oz macaroni
1/2 stick margarine
2 eggs beaten
12 oz can evaporated milk
1 can Campbell's cheese soup
1 cup milk
4 cups cheese (confession: I add more cheese than this)

Cook macaroni noodles and add to crock pot with the margarine.
Put eggs, milk, soup, 3 cups cheese in a bowl and combine. Pour into crock pot.
Cover and cook on low 4 hours. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top, and cook 15 minutes more. :HH:
YUMMM!!!! Whenever I make homemade Mac and Cheese Evan gets mad because it's not the "real" kind his dad makes. :P (real meaning Easy Mac) ::sigh::

Gus
January 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Lol, I'm with Evan. I love Kraft Mac n cheese. Dh gets irritated, though, because I always buy an extra box so I can steal the cheese packet from it. I'll have to try the crockpot recipe because I bet he would really like it.

pinksapphire
January 21st, 2011, 06:48 PM
I know this may be a silly question but......do you leave the crockpot on all day on low even if you are not home? I work all day so I obviously won't be home to monitor it. I have one sitting downstairs just dying to be used one day! LOL

december
January 22nd, 2011, 10:35 AM
I know this may be a silly question but......do you leave the crockpot on all day on low even if you are not home? I work all day so I obviously won't be home to monitor it. I have one sitting downstairs just dying to be used one day! LOL

I leave it on when I'm out running errands all the time! Crockpots are great because you don't really have to tend to them. I throw it all together in the morning and most of the time don't even check it until closer to supper time.

nuthinbutpink
January 22nd, 2011, 11:05 AM
Pinksapphire, just leave it on low if you are going to leave it but yes, I do leave it on.