PDA

View Full Version : Medications that affect sperm quality?

purpledream
March 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi, Caroline,
My husband was recently diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and had taken Methylprednisolone 4mg for 6 days at schedule 6 pills a day for the first day, then 5 the second day and so forth until one the last day. The last dose was end of February. He had also taken Gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day for 2.5 weeks up until today. The neurologist wants him to take another 6 days of the steroid with the same schedule as before starting tomorrow. I'm very concerned how all these medications will affect his sperm count and DNA, because we will have an ER around mid-April. I'm afraid about birth defects mostly. Any advise what is the best approach? Thank you very much!

Carole
March 16th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Hi, Caroline,
My husband was recently diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia and had taken Methylprednisolone 4mg for 6 days at schedule 6 pills a day for the first day, then 5 the second day and so forth until one the last day. The last dose was end of February. He had also taken Gabapentin 100mg 3 times a day for 2.5 weeks up until today. The neurologist wants him to take another 6 days of the steroid with the same schedule as before starting tomorrow. I'm very concerned how all these medications will affect his sperm count and DNA, because we will have an ER around mid-April. I'm afraid about birth defects mostly. Any advise what is the best approach? Thank you very much!

Dear Purple Dream,
I blogged on the effect of some medications on sperm quality Medications that can impair sperm quality and fertility | Fertility Lab Insider (http://fertilitylabinsider.com/2011/10/medications-that-can-impair-sperm-quality-and-fertility/) but I am not sure the medications you mention were in the article I reviewed. The best approach would be to ask your RE or ObGyn about the effect of these medication-especially regarding possible birth defects.Your local pharmacist might also be able to help. Any of these experts should be able to give you the information you need. Good Luck! Carole

purpledream
March 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Thank you very much!