PDA

View Full Version : New baby must haves.

Journey2dFuture
March 17th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Please add to the list the things you couldn't live without!

I'm all for saving money, I'm not one to buy all the baby items just because.

So for a New born - Must have's

Cot
Pushchair/ car seat
Swing or bouncer ? Yay or Nay?
Baby bath? Yay or Nay? I was thinking just a bath support like the cradles or foam.
Toys? Yay or Nay? At what age did they start to have interest?

For mum

Manual or electric breast pump?
Nursing pillow?

Flava
March 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
I need a crib and bedding lol because we thought we all done and sold and donated stuff.
Also a play pan just to put the baby somewhere safe other then crib.
This are must have for me , baby tub and pump too.
Toys when baby start looking at it maybe?
Swing is good to have if baby likes it .We had to bring it back last time DD4 hated it lol but my other girls loved it.
Not sure what else really a MUST have ...lets see what others say.

purplepoet20
March 17th, 2012, 01:05 PM
We used a co-sleeper for the first 5mths (when they can pull themself up) and a crib after that. The co-sleeper we have attaches to the side of the bed and is just like a bassinet. But since I nursed at night we were mostly sleeping together (with no covers on me or baby).

I like the Carseat/Stroller combo but after DS2 was born we got a 2 seater stroller so the one with the carseat is nearly new. Would make for a great yardsale item next summer. Having a little cheap umbrella stroller is great after 6-9mths for when you need something smaller like shopping in stores with smaller walkways. But look for one that allows you the stand up straight.

I found the Bouncer useful. DS1 would sit in it while we ate and DS2 when we ate our I had to do something for DS1. Don't get one that has a hard plastic toy attachment (DH held it over DS1's head and it slipped, DH nearly had a heart attack). the vibration helps to clear any extra air bubbles.

We used the swing a lot with DS1 because it was the only way to get him to nap... 30mins 2x's a day was so wonderful. DS2 hated it.

At about 5-6mths my boys liked the jumpers. It would knock them out in 5-15mins and it gave me time to make dinner.

For the bath I hated the ones that didn't have any type of side support. NB slump and it looks so horrible. With DS1 DH just did co-bathing and it helped there bonding. We ended up doing the same with DS2. I just kept a bath robe for me so I can easily put it on and then get the baby dried and dressed. If you get one find one that supports the sides and keeps the baby in a sitting position. But honestly we don't over bathe the little ones more then once a week but sometimes if they had a big vomiting issue (DS1 had reflux). About 5-6mths the little bath chairs works great, but find one that has a rubber cushion in the "privates" area.

We gave them a few toys early on.... but soft cotton ones only. They would look and touch them from 6-8wks. At around 3mths you will notice them hold them more. By 4-6mths kids start to have more fun with them. But even at 6mths I say soft toys because they hold them over their heads and the plastic toys will hurt. A play mat with a place to attach toys is nice because you will notice that it calms a baby and they fall asleep.

I would also say about 2wks worth of clothing in the first 6mths. Sometimes you just don't have time to wash everyday. DS1 was the baby who peed so much his diapers leaked a lot. Once we changed his outfit 7x's in about 6hrs. DS2 liked to pee as he was being changed by dada.

ERgo or MeiTai carrier is great for outings. Also if you practice at home you can nurse a baby up to 18mths and no one will notice. This is a life saver when we go for 3-4hr walks on the beach or Las Vages Strip.

Manual Pumps take a long time and are no fun. The electric ones are great and fast but spend the money for a good one like Medela. I had a First Years one and it hurt a lot. Buy a lot of storage bottles because if you start at 1-4wks you may have a lot to start with. I found it help to pump at 1wk because I had high flow milk (boths boys gained 5lbs in 1mth) and also I made so much milk that I felt full after a good nursing.

Boppy Pillow is wonderful. Not to over stuffed that the baby is to high but just right. You may still need to sit in a chair with arms in the beginning for extra support. The Boppy also makes a great pillow for long car rides and mama falls asleep. My 2yo still sleeps on his at night as a pillow.

zanacal
March 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM
I don't think there are many must haves for a newborn (I have lots of like to haves though!).

My list would be:

Somewhere to sleep (we use a hammock)
Carseat
Sling/wrap
Clothes
Nappies
Boobs

I think that's it?!

Flava
March 17th, 2012, 01:17 PM
purple- all I see is in your post baby fall asleep here and fall asleep there lol You was so lucky! My babys didn't do that at all. Maybe is the car sometimes but really that's it.
Oh yeah I need carseat and stroller too :sigh: Lord I better start playing lottery lol

indigoviolet
March 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
I'd say a sling to carry baby in. When they are small, they are so light and they love being carried around, often is good to use in tandem with pushchair when they get fed up with lying on their own or want to be carried. I used mine ALL the time!

purplepoet20
March 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
My kids never napped after eating, even as NB!

purplepoet20
March 17th, 2012, 01:30 PM
If you get a sling read about how to use it right because if the babies chin touches the chest the baby can stop breathing. I was so afraid of this I never used mine. I have a Papoose that I used once for a few minutes but it would not easy to nurse in public.

A Moby Wrap is nice for NB and you can make one for about $10. But it can be really bulky looking. Good for nursing NB.

I prefer the Ergo with the NB wrap. It is easier to put on and take off and also to put a baby in.

Flava
March 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Oh I have a moby wrap got it for DD4. How ppl nurse in it I have no clue, i can't.
But i did not use it much because don't really need it in the house and if we go somewhere we must use the car so i only used it in stores really. I do like it and wish i can use it more.

Journey2dFuture
March 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Great tips ladies - Thanks so much - Ill be sure to come back to this to take note. Talking of slings.
I have on order waiting for shipment for this one.
https://www.sevenslings.com/index.php/cart#slings

And also an uddercover :)
https://www.uddercovers.com/

Hobbermittens
March 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Nursing pillow--must have!
Swing--must have!
Bouncy seat--must have!
Electric breast pump is easier to use.
Don't need toys for a while.
My favorite baby book is called The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. I love it--full of practical info, good advice, developmental stuff, etc. I consider this a must have too!

I also love my Ergo baby carrier.

For when baby is older (3 months or so), the Bumbo chair is also great.

Flava
March 18th, 2012, 09:48 AM
hobber-my DD3 hated the bumbo chair so we never get one for DD4. I don't know what to do next but im kinda thinking not to sit them up to early if they can't on their own.

purplepoet20
March 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I think the bumbo seat causes the baby to slump to much which makes me wonder what it is doing to the babies stomach. My BIL had one and his daughter didn't learn to sit right until much later. I never used it but when we want our boys to sit up we just used a U pillow that is like a Boppy but really over stuffed. But we didn't use it all the time just a little once a week.

Hobbermittens
March 18th, 2012, 12:48 PM
We always had great luck with the Bumbo, and the baby I am babysitting now loves it too. Sorry you guys had bad luck with it...

Foxy
March 18th, 2012, 01:54 PM
My babies loved the bumbo. Some use it before the baby is ready tho and that makes me really sad.

zanacal
March 18th, 2012, 04:31 PM
My babies loved the bumbo. Some use it before the baby is ready tho and that makes me really sad.

.. or leave them in it for too long at a time! My boys all liked it but I sold it and I won't spend money on another!

Foxy
March 18th, 2012, 04:41 PM
.. or leave them in it for too long at a time! My boys all liked it but I sold it and I won't spend money on another! That too!

skrimpy
March 18th, 2012, 06:33 PM
For a tiny baby, a wrap carrier -- I love my SleepyWrap. When they're older (4+ months for me), an Ergobaby Carrier!

A swing was ESSENTIAL for Honor, but not for all of my babies. It saved my sanity with her, though.

Nursing pillow.

Swaddle blankets.

Clothes.

Good food for me :)

Cinss
March 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Cot - definatly, Pram - definatly, Car seat - definatly, Bouncer - yes, Baby bath - not necessary, bath support works great at a fraction of the cost of a bath, much easier to clean too. Toys - not necessary until baby can hold things, then a rattle will do.

I had a lot of things that never got used such as Baby Bag, Sling, Breast pump, Bottles, Night light, Baby powder, Dummies/Pacifier, Formula, Bibs.

Things i couldn't live without - Muslin wraps for wrapping bub and as a cover for breast feeding in public, Bepanthem cream for sore nipples, Breast pads for leaking boobs, i just used a regular pillow for nursing, and i had one of those Angel Care Monitors that are a sensor pad you put under the babys matress and it will sound an alarm if the baby stops breathing, it was expensive, but it really made me feel safe when baby was sleeping, the alarm never went off thank goodness but i was still glad i had it and i will definatly use it with our next bub.

Journey2dFuture
March 19th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Great tips ladies Thanks so much - I've been looking on-line here and there and i did order some reusable breast pads. They were some special offer at the time.
But what did you buy? Disposable or reuse?
Also nipple creams? Which one is the best? And shields? Is it worth to have them in the house before baby arrives just in case.

purplepoet20
March 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Because I had a very high flow I would always leak with the reusable ones. I changed them with every nursing and also 2-4 between. I ended going to disposable for the first 4mths because they hold better and then I used the reusables after that. Some of the dispos. have the oils already in it so I didn't need to use anything extra unless you see some cracking. They also have the sticky tape on the back but I never used it because they stayed on there own. I used the Lansinoh brand and it was the most comfortable and wasn't noticable like some of the thick ones.

Or if you want to stay with reusable... a Wool backing would be helpful. You just add it with the reusable pads. You may need about 6-8 but 10 may be best.

purplepoet20
March 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Lansinoh was my favorite for nipples, it's Lanolin and it is safe for baby to nurse with it on.... I started using it daily at about 36wks preg. Do not put any lotions or anything else on the entire boob, because they are not good for baby. Add a tiny pea size of Lanolin after each nursing. I had 1 1/2 2oz tube for each of my sons, you don't need a lot.

My SIL used BeesWax but she had tons of problems with cracking. She also started it about 2 wks before the baby came.

You should have all nursing supplies in the house before baby and anything else you will need in the first month. I was lucky to be waited on for the first 2wks but it is no fun to have to go to the store and get what you need... DH may not know what to get.