PDA

View Full Version : breast feeding issues

Glittergirl
March 20th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hi everyone. I am having such a hard time breast feeding this time around. I successfully breast fed all 3 boys till they were 18 months old. This time around I had extremely sore nipples from poor latch early on. Now DD is 2 weeks old and nipples are getting better but she makes a clicking sound the whole time she's nursing. Everything I read indicates poor latch but she seems to be doing well. She is very gassy and spits up a lot too (this was going on while still in hospital). Anyone else have this problem...should I just see a LC? I don't remember my other kids making a clicking sound the whole time nursing. It also does not feel like she is breaking the seal so I'm really confused what I should do. any advice is appreciated--thanks!

DoulaMama
March 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM
Here's my thoughts:)

The clicking is probably from over active letdown(do you have a lot of milk?). She's gassy and spitting up because she's getting too much at once and potentially too much foremilk without enough hindmilk. What you need to do is nurse from one side only during a nursing session. If you are already doing this, you need to stay on the same side for more than one session to completely drain the breast before moving over to the full side. Just let the other breast drip milk into a towel and hand express enough to help with the engorgement. Also, if you can feed her upright so she is laying tummy to tummy, but you can then lean back against the couch and have less gravity pouring the milk into her mouth, that works well too. Plus, they tend to get a better latch when they are upright. Was she checked for tongue tie?

xo J

MatildaMai
March 21st, 2012, 01:27 AM
I was going to ask about tongue tie. Had similar issues with one of my twins and he had a tongue tie that needed surgery at 10wks. A nipple shield helped a lot in the meantime. Good luck.

Wanting a daughter
March 21st, 2012, 01:34 AM
I remember my first making clicking sounds too. He had a tongue tie but it was snipped in the hospital. It was EXTREMELY painful feeding him. I mean for the whole 12 months!!! Would also recommend a nipple shield, it got me through. Always nice to talk to a LC if you've got access to one. In Oz the child health centres have one you can see without paying.
Good luck

Glittergirl
March 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM
thanks for the advice. I was up with her all night, she was so gassy and I've tried changing my diet drastically. She still clicks but I'm going to try to empty one breast completely and see if she can get more hind milk. Going to have her checked for tongue tie too...my nipples aren't that sore anymore, just a little but definitely tolerable. I think she's over feeding cause she spits up so much and I can tell I'm producing too much milk. I have began pumping cause I'm hoping DH can help with feedings if I'm away for more than 2 hours at a time. I hold her upright after each feeding which helps with the spitup and she loves sleeping on her belly but I can only do that during the day when I can watch her. Last night was just so horrible...praying tonight will be a better night! thanks for the advice ladies..anything else that worked for you....I will gladly take the advice!

purplepoet20
March 26th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Both my boys and I had tounge ties (assuming 3rd will to) mine was never cut but my boys were they nursed great within 24hrs. I also had a strong let down. I ended up nursing with a receiving blanket slipped into the nursing bra for dripping while burping. I nursed the boys while they were in an almost up right postion (their butts right at my belly button) and then every 5-8mins I would burp them and then continue nursing. I would either carry them upright while they napped or swaddle them and place on a boppy pillow (pillow was snugly placed in a bassinet).

zanacal
March 27th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I had an oversupply with DS2 and I'm trying to remember when it settled down - but it definitely did! I think it may have been after around 8 weeks. I second what DM said about feeding in a laid back position (you, not the baby!) and sticking with one side. I'm dubious of pumping because I did it a lot with DS2 (I have no idea why!) and I wonder whether that contributed more to the oversupply by fooling my body into believing I needed to produce more milk than I actually did iykwim?

DoulaMama
March 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Yeah...pumping shouldn't be started until your supply regulates- around the 6w mark.

Glittergirl
March 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Oh that makes sense...I did pump a few times at the beginning cause I was so engorged and i wanted to have a few bottles ready in case my mom or DH needed to feed her when I was gone for more than 2 hours (ds had activities to go to). Anyway, the clicking is less now and I do think it is due to the let down. She's gotten so much better and i'm happy to say she is sleeping MUCH better now too1 Woo Hoo!

cherryswirl
June 18th, 2012, 10:05 AM
How did you get on with this? my DS did it too...