PDA

View Full Version : thinking of HT whats involved?

gizmo77
March 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM
okay i am currently pregnant with DD3. sway did not work even tho *i* thought it was hard core. i feel like IF my dh agress to #4 at all, id want to do PGD/genderselection. DH is not really on board with artificial babymaking. but thats my problem.

im about 1-2 yrs away from this if i decide to do this, but i figured i dont want to hard core sway again and just end up having anouther girl (sounds horrible i know). ive been reading some posts on here and i just would like some of the nitty gritty details. i have NO idea what im doing here or where to start.

sorry if i am repeating questions

1) i know there is pretesting involved. what do they test for?
2)what kind of medication do you take? are there side effects (mood swings, other medical symptoms)?
3) are there lots of invasive procedures? and what are they?
4) what is DH 's role (just shoot in a cup and thats it?) any meds for him?
5) what are the risks ?
6) does the pretesting tell you if you are likely to get BFNs or abnormal embryos?
7) what would you say is the percentage of actually getting the desired gender thru PGD?
8) how long does one "cycle" take? how long prior to that do you take medications?
9) do they freeze the embryos/eggs/sperm or transfer them fresh? why WOULD you freeze anything?
10) do ppl (including DH) still go on the genderswaying diet while doing pgd?

ill be moving to northern california in a couple weeks...east bay area. does anyone know of any clinics or have recommendations out there? i know dr potter is in newport beach but that is a way for us (close to LA).

how do you know who to choose and trust?
whats the average cost for one cycle?
anything fall under insurance?

sorry and thanks!!

nuthinbutpink
March 23rd, 2012, 05:14 PM
1) i know there is pretesting involved. what do they test for?
They test for ovarian reserve for you and look at your uterus. Infectious disease testing for both of you.
2)what kind of medication do you take? are there side effects (mood swings, other medical symptoms)?
Nothing too bad with side effects. You take suppression Meds-BCP, lupron and stimulation Meds via injections. After transfer you supplement with progesterone and estrace because you do not make it on your own with IVF.
3) are there lots of invasive procedures? and what are they?
Well, ER is a minor surgery with sedation
4) what is DH 's role (just shoot in a cup and thats it?) any meds for him?
Just the sample for fertilization
5) what are the risks ?
Emotional is the biggest, financial and it not working
6) does the pretesting tell you if you are likely to get BFNs or abnormal embryos?
It tells you how hard it might be but only going through with the cycle tells you the rest. One Hit Wonders are not the norm and many have to cycle more than once to find success
7) what would you say is the percentage of actually getting the desired gender thru PGD?
With 10 fertilized embryos, the chance of a transfer is really high. The live baby outcome is different depending on your age and pretesting
8) how long does one "cycle" take? how long prior to that do you take medications?
You have to be a minimum 6 months pp and not brestfeeding for pretesting. After pretesting, you can cycle with your next AF. You take stimulation Meds for an average of 10 days, have ER and then ET is 5 days later
9) do they freeze the embryos/eggs/sperm or transfer them fresh? why WOULD you freeze anything?
Depending on the type and day you choose to do testing, you may have to freeze the embryos to wait on the results. A fresh transfer is a definite option
10) do ppl (including DH) still go on the genderswaying diet while doing pgd?
Not necessary

You really need to become a member and start following the action in the HT forum. It is well worth the $12 I assure you.

A cycle can cost between $12,000-$20,000 with travel and Meds.

Insurance can cover pretesting and possibly part or all of your cycle except the PGD cost. HTH

gizmo77
March 26th, 2012, 04:00 PM
thanks NBP. this is helpful. i thought itd be a lot easier (as far as getting pg and being able to carry thru to term), esply with fertile women. but i guess thats not the case. i will join membership i think as i get closer to this event if DH agrees. financial will be the hardest thing. im not sure if we can do 2 cycles. but imsassuming since pretesting and all \that is done itd be a little less the 2nd cycle. and ill be within driving distance of these facilities (ive already looked up some in northern cali where we are moving). DH has no idea these thoughts are in my head.

im still only 22 weeks with DD3. i want to breast feed till 12 mos. and hopefully after my 1st period id like to start this, again if dh first agrees to #4 and then agrees to IVF. at 1st i thought id be the person who would NEVER do gender selection. guess i was wrong.

personal questionf or you NBP if you dont mind, in your siggy, it says you were on DHEA for 8 mos. why? and for you, did you get BFP with one frozen XY embryo? (is that what FET is?)

just wondering bc i thought fresh samples were more successful.
and did you have problems getting pregnant naturally?

just wondering if moms who have good fertility have a better chance???

HopingForPigtails
April 1st, 2012, 12:26 PM
DHEA is usually only used if you have proven egg quality. You don't want to use it if you have insulin resistance. Being able to conceive naturally has nothing to do with conceiving in IVF world. Almost all of us on the HT boards got pregnant naturally very easily- but didn't have an easy time with IVF. Lots of the women find in the IVF world that they have egg quality issues, immune issues, insulin resistance, etc- and yet they were able to get PG naturally with no issues.

Age definitely helps so if you're thinking about it- you should do it sooner than later.

Some women have actually had better success using frozen embryos because ER can be a bit rough on some women (like myself!).

Anyhow- GL and enjoy your beautiful daughter!