PDA

View Full Version : 1

Juniebjones
March 26th, 2012, 12:21 PM

amari
March 26th, 2012, 01:15 PM
The BMI does not take into account muscle mass, so it is sort of a silly tool. I weigh less now then when I started the LE diet, but was in better shape before I started it because I had more muscle mass then (was more toned). I wouldn't worry about it and focus more on the weight loss. I know that doesn't really answer your question though.

nuthinbutpink
March 26th, 2012, 01:30 PM
If you are very muscular you likely don't care what your BMI is.

HOWEVER, make no mistake about it, BMI applies to all big-boned people if their WAIST is larger than their HIPS.* And BMI applies to EVERYONE regardless of bone structure or regardless of waist measurement, IF your body is soft and giggly, instead of tight and firm.**

All of our skeletons are the same.

dramabird
March 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM
If you Re very muscular you likely don't care what your BMI is.

HOWEVER, make no mistake about it, BMI applies to all big-boned people if their WAIST is larger than their HIPS.* And BMI applies to EVERYONE regardless of bone structure or regardless of waist measurement, IF your body is soft and giggly, instead of tight and firm.**

All of our skeletons are the same.

:agree: My understanding is that BMI isn't "fair" to, like, bodybuilders ... since the calculator doesn't know if it's a 6-feet-tall guy who is 250 lbs. of flab or 250 lbs. of rippling muscles. Since women don't tend to be as muscular as men, I think it tends to be a safer tool for us, esp. for anyone who isn't a professional athlete.

atomic sagebrush
March 31st, 2012, 09:05 AM
My understanding is that it's corrected for tall people but may not be accurate for muscley people. Makes sense on a gut level that if you are outside the norm, it might be less accurate for you tho.