PDA

View Full Version : Supplements question

hopingforsaskia
April 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hey everyone!

I wanted to run something by the pro's in here.. My iridologist/naturopath told me how to get a girl..

He gave me a list of potions to take: Dong Quai, SP, Evening Primrose Oil, "Formula 1" (not sure of what's in it, it's by a lady in Sydney, and I will find out the ingredients for you asap) and Copper water (water from copper piping). All of this was to be taken 2x daily.

He is an amazing naturopath and iridologist -- he can feel the energy of things and knows your past, present and future health within seconds of looking at your eyes... except he's really old and almost incapable of practicing anymore, and so it's very difficult to get the reasoning out of him as to why all this stuff is important. He also said I'd have to ov from my right ovary (which is I believe opposite to the current thought on that). I was wondering mostly about the supps though -- any ideas as to why these would work?? I'm planning on calling his assistant after the easter weekend and drilling her for info (she's my DH's aunty..haha) and hopefully she'll either be able to ask him or tell me herself.

Any thoughts?

atomic sagebrush
April 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah, that is not anything I would recommend doing at all whatsoever. Not saying he is not privy to some ancient wisdom that I do not comprehend because he very well may be, but just to share what I personally believe:

Dong Quai I do not believe is safe for anyone TTC and it raises estrogen, which may be a step in the wrong direction for those wanting a girl. Evening Primrose may also raise estrogen, increases CM, and it has healthy fats (plus it's not safe in the 2ww and if you do decide to take it, you need to stop it at O.) Evening primrose is generally taken by those who want boys, not girls.

Copper ~may~ actually alter the gender ratio (esp. if DH drinks it) BUT the way that it works is very likely by subtly poisoning you and reducing your fertility. Not exactly the kind of sway I would personally want and ODing on copper can KILL YOU (altho it's kinda hard to do because most people's bodies are good at getting rid of excess). It would be a tricky sway anyway because a nice normal amount of copper is good for you and will INCREASE fertility both for DH and DW and thus would sway blue, it's only when the copper reaches toxic levels that it begins to sway pink. That line between good-for-you and toxic is different for every individual on the planet and there is no way to know if you'd be getting a good-for-you amound and swaying blue, a toxic-but-not-enough-to-kill-you amount and swaying pink, and an OMG-get-to-the-ER-NOW kind of dose.

The best evidence we have seems to indicate left-sided O are more likely to yield girl conceptions. Now, whether there is something about the left ovary that is more girl friendly (prob not) or that you're just more likely to O from the left when you're a bit less fertile (much more likely) we don't actually know. Here's the study on that if you'd care to peruse it! (this is actually just the newest study from this crew, they have a few others that show the same tendency.) The ovulation pattern during three consecutive menstrual cycles has a significant impact on pregnancy rate and sex of the offspring. The ovulation pattern during three consecutive... [Fertil Steril. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21377152)

Update us when you find out what's in the Formula 1!!

Mommasita
April 9th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I thought Evening Primrose Oil swayed blue? I took it to get pregnant with DS (I didn't know or care that it swayed blue, only that it increased CM which increased my chances of getting pregnant).