PDA

View Full Version : celiacs disease

Mrshill
April 9th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Do you think that women that have celiacs disease have more girls because they are gluten free or is it because they have fertility issues and probably take clomid?

mindyjean
April 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM
That's interesting. I have a good friend who has celiac disease, eats a total glutten free diet and has a girl. She never had any fertility issues, so her case isn't related to being on Clomid.

atomic sagebrush
April 11th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Yes, and it seems to be supported by science as well (lower or reduced sex ratio means more girls conceived.)

Interestingly, when the man had the celiac disease the gender ratio was barely changed from normal, if at all (the gender ratio in Sweden and Denmark is quite high to begin with (about 106) and I don't think the researcher stopped to consider that fact and may have erroneously concluded that paternal celiac disease swayed blue), which certainly seems to indicate mama's diet rather than some genetic factor is doing the swaying!!!

Parental Celiac Disease and Offspring Sex Ratio : Epidemiology (http://journals.lww.com/epidem/Fulltext/2010/11000/Parental_Celiac_Disease_and_Offspring_Sex_Ratio.27 .aspx)

Here is an intriguing response to the above study by William James (the guy who believes low T and E sways pink) and points out some evidence that celiac disease may alter or exist alongside altered hormone levels.

Sex Ratios of Offspring of Parents With Celiac Disease : Epidemiology (http://journals.lww.com/epidem/Fulltext/2011/05000/Sex_Ratios_of_Offspring_of_Parents_With_Celiac.31. aspx)

atomic sagebrush
April 11th, 2012, 11:53 PM
PS - great question BTW and something I hadn't considered! thanks for thinking of it and sharing it with all of us!

tinksmagic
July 9th, 2012, 05:46 AM
From what I'm finding (and doing a TON of reading on this) Celiac is an autoimmune disease. With most autoimmune diseases, girls in general stand a higher survival rate. Celiac is mostly responsible for multiple miscarriages. Girls having the higher survival rate as in to make it to terms then have a 75% chance of also having some type of autoimmune disease.

I have found this to be 100% true in my case. I have Hashimoto's and am being tested today for Celiac (apparently you usually have both together as the Celiac feeds the disease to attack the thyroid) and I have passed the autoimmune on to DD#1 (confirmed) and possibly DD#2 (checking soon).

Most of you know I've had 2 m/c's with PGD boys and it's taking me 15 years to address my Hashimoto's. I will post more when I get a full work up.

atomic sagebrush
July 14th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Thank you for sharing this Tink! That makes a great deal of sense. I wish I had a small army of grad students to investigate all this. I'm sorry to hear about your and your daughter's illnesses though.

Weirdly, I know of a couple of autoimmune diseases where I know people who seem to have a disproportionate amount of boys (rheumatoid arthritis in females, psoriasis, and severe allergies.) The interesting thing about them is that at least some of those autoimmune conditions may actually increase odds of survival in a harsher world (a hyperactive immune system is a pain in the a--- in a clean world, but in a dirty world it may keep you from getting fatal infections and even cancer) so some autoimmune conditions may actually increase the odds of survival for men who have them. Whereas with celiac, it actually affects the amount of nutrition you can get from your food and that would def. lower odds of survival for men who need more cals to survive.

Everyone I know with celiac (4 people) is from an all or mostly girl family. One of the families has one boy in it and he is severely autistic but got better on the GAPS diet. Food for thought anyway!!

agirltokeep
July 18th, 2017, 05:16 PM
I have Celiac Disease and Hashimoto's (along with a whole subscription of other issues.. lol) and have 3 boys. My first was a girl who was stillborn at 38 weeks and I've had 4 miscarriages from 4.5-11 weeks. I have been gluten free for over 6 months and this is our first cycle TTC again since our 11wk loss in November. I am really hoping that maybe being GF will help us get a girl to keep.

I can't say for sure that untreated Celiac is the reason for my losses, especially because I also have MTHFR and Factor v Leiden, but I do believe it played a part. The thing is.. it caused me to basically be malnourished for years and years and I am also chronically low on vitamin D, potassium, b12 and folate.. I would think those factors would have made me more likely to have girls. I also have PCOS and I saw a comment from you (Atomic) saying that it seems to result in more boys. I think my boys were just very determined to be boys and had God's support in the matter.. lol.
At any rate.. this post is great and gives me a little hope. ☺ I could have a whole football team (and would love it!), but I'd still want my cheerleader.

PS.. I only recently signed up, but I have been reading these forums for years now. Any time I have a question, I always search for input from you, Atomic. (Idk how to tag yet..?) I hope you know what an impact you have on people's lives. Thank you for all the work you do. 😊

agirltokeep
July 18th, 2017, 05:21 PM
Mrshill, did you ever get your girl?

atomic sagebrush
July 18th, 2017, 10:54 PM
please bump this for me, someone, I would really appreciate it.

The Anchor
July 20th, 2017, 11:43 AM
Bump

atomic sagebrush
July 21st, 2017, 02:04 PM
agirl, I'm so sorry for your losses. Heartbreaking.

We do know that thyroid issues and clotting factors are the 2 chief reasons for losses so I'd not jump right to the celiac in terms of assigning causes, but the thing is that the gluten free diet may only help both your chances of a healthy pregnancy and also boost your chances of getting that cheerleader. :) :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Thanks so much for your patience, I was really tired that day and wanted to give you my best reply.

Please don't hesitate to keep in contact, I'd love to help in any way that I can.

ksmom
July 21st, 2017, 02:19 PM
Agirl, I have celiac and have three boys but I've been gluten free for 9 years now. I do think untreated celiac increases the miscarriage risk, but only because it can cause severe nutritional deficiencies. I hope you get your rainbow girl.

agirltokeep
August 11th, 2017, 01:08 AM
Thanks for the replies! I figure I'll never really know what happened, but at least now I know the issues and can hopefully avoid more losses. With all the swaying I'm doing, I won't know what helped if I get a girl either.. lol. I just hope we do! ��

Sorry, I was never notified of replies. I went in and fixed my settings now, though.