PDA

View Full Version : Do you like to cook?

Gus
January 22nd, 2011, 12:12 PM
I don't. It's mostly the mess that I hate, but I also hate raw meat. Especially birds, which literally make me gag. The first time I tried to make a turkey for Thanksgiving I ended up hunched over the toilet. :oops: So now dh does the prep and gets it oven...once it's cooking and I don't have to touch it I do ok. Lol.

I am really good at baking, but I don't enjoy that, either.

december
January 22nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
Depends on the day. Some days I love cooking, but recently it's just been a pain in the butt.

I do love baking though. Most days.

Viene
January 22nd, 2011, 02:25 PM
I like to cook in general, but some days I just don't feel like it.

Jojogirl
January 22nd, 2011, 03:48 PM
I love to! Only I have to have a super clean kitchen to "make a meal" in. That's my only thing....and my kitchen isn't always spotless. So it really stands in my way. I would probably cook a big meal everyday if I had a maid :) Tomorrow I'm making Carribean Jerk chicken in the crock pot. I got that recipe from a mutual friend and it seems so easy and so yummy. I'll let you know how it turns out :P

lindi
January 22nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
aw! poor you! I don't like raw meat AT ALL, it just does something to me...that's why I'm vegetarian!

atomic sagebrush
January 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
I love to but it's pointless because no one likes anythign other than pizza and fries.

Jojogirl
January 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
I love to but it's pointless because no one likes anythign other than pizza and fries.

I'm in that boat too. Only it's fishsticks and smiles in this house...LOL! I have to have some adult food, though. If I eat one more fishstick I'm going to hurl! I do make "grown up" meals that the kids will eat...but I seriously doubt they will eat my chicken tomorrow night. Especially since Sundays are usually spaghetti taco night. They might throw the chicken AT ME!

CocoChanel
January 22nd, 2011, 10:00 PM
I DO NOT like to cook AT ALL. Clear? But, I do like to eat, and I will go to a great deal of effort to make sure I like what I eat. Enough said. DH cleans up, so it sure makes it easier to go to town. I have left him some bad messes. :oops:

WantingButWaiting
January 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM

Yep. I loved cooking before I had children. Now I hate it because everyone complains and the baby makes a huge mess of it.

Gus
January 23rd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Jojo, I need that recipe!!! I used to work in a restaurant that made THE best Jamaican jerk chicken but of course I couldn't get the recipe.

atomic sagebrush
January 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
Last night's dinner - 20 lbs of french fries and chocolate milkshakes. NO I am not making that up!!

Jojogirl
January 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
rinse whole chicken, Place in crockpot, pour 1/2 bottle of KC Masterpiece Carribean Jerk marinade over. When close to serving, put the other half of the bottle in.

We had ours with rice and corn on the cob :)

chachamama
January 23rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
I love to cook. I don't really love to bake..

Orchid
January 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
I love to cook. I don't really love to bake..

Same here. I am trying to get into baking as DS is getting older.

Tweens&aBaby
January 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Jojo - I may have to try your recipe with breasts. I can't do whole chickens. I can't eat chicken on the bone. I know, I'm weird.

xnicolax
January 24th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I am a terrible terrible cook. Maybe if I could cook I would enjoy it. It takes me forever to prepare and everything comes out horrible, even the simplest of dishes. Im just glad my DH likes to cook and most importantly, he can cook.

GreaseMonkey
January 24th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I looooooove to cook!!!!!! My kitchen is my home and for me if the house I am renting/buying doesn't have a good enough kitchen it is a deal breaker for me....Love it and I have a crock pot, a rice steamer, a pressure cooker and everything...I also collect cook books, I have about 10 so far and getting ready to add to my collection pretty soon!!!!

Jojogirl
January 24th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Jojo - I may have to try your recipe with breasts. I can't do whole chickens. I can't eat chicken on the bone. I know, I'm weird.

I'm sure it would be good that way. I'm not 100% sure, though...LOL! Just because I have a feeling slow cooking the chicken with bone brings out the flavor. Try it and report back! I'm curious because I actually don't like whole chicken at all. I prefer a lot of split breasts. Wings, thighs and drumstick are a waste of my time. I only like wings when they are smothered in tabasco sauce and fried! Served with some bluecheese and I'm a happy girl.

michaela
January 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Not only do I not like to cook but I am an awful cook. DH is wayyyyyy better than I am but I do have to cook for myself alot. They are always simple meals that don't have a lot of components. If I have to make a meal with 2 or 3 things I will pretty much ruin one of them for sure. LOL!

BoyDreaming
January 25th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I really enjoyed cooking prior to this pregnancy. Now just looking at food makes me gag so I'm cooking as little as possible. DD1 was dying for some home cooked food last night and I broke down and cooked. It seemed like an eternity until I got dinner done. I can't wait for July to come around!

Jojogirl
January 26th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Crock pot cooking is super easy though. It's fool proof. Just put in ingredients in and let the slow cooker do the work. If I could make all my meals in the crockpot, I would. I actually probably could now that I think about it. I would just need to find recipes. The only thing is fishsticks probably can't be made in there...haha!

Tweens&aBaby
January 26th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I'm sure it would be good that way. I'm not 100% sure, though...LOL! Just because I have a feeling slow cooking the chicken with bone brings out the flavor. Try it and report back! I'm curious because I actually don't like whole chicken at all. I prefer a lot of split breasts. Wings, thighs and drumstick are a waste of my time. I only like wings when they are smothered in tabasco sauce and fried! Served with some bluecheese and I'm a happy girl. YUMMMM ! I love me some hot wings too! I have a recipe that I like to eat that is low guilt from "Hungry Girl" and Laughing cow.
http://www.thelaughingcow.com/recipes/hot-e28098n-cold-buff-chick-scoopable-salad/?titlelink
Ingredients
2 wedges NEW! Light Blue Cheese
5 ounces Cooked Skinless Lean Chicken Breast, Chopped
1-½ Tablespoon Frank's RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
⅓ cups Chopped Celery
⅓ cups Chopped Carrots
Preparation
Place cheese wedges in a large microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 20 seconds. Stir until smooth. Add chicken and hot sauce; stir well. Mix in celery and carrots. Refrigerate until chilled or enjoy immediately!

Gus
January 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I'm trying it with the breasts only, Tweens. I don't do whole birds, either.

Jojogirl
January 26th, 2011, 01:45 PM
That recipe sounds great! I will have to try! The whole chicken just looks gross. It did taste good, though...ha! Also...it completely falls off the bone...so you aren't picking the chicken off the bone (if that makes sense) Even the drumstick meat was completely off the bone. Next chicken I'm making (this weekend) is the 40 clove in the crockpot. I'm trying to do more in the crockpot because it makes my house smell so yummy! Bad for the diet, though....although chicken is allowed!

Lillylolly
January 26th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I love cooking but my DH does most of it. I just request the meal LOL

Tinkerbelle
January 26th, 2011, 05:04 PM

I hate it! But like you I request and DH cooks:)

Jojogirl
January 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM

You are lucky. My man burns green beans:sigh:

Eden
January 26th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I hate cooking and thankfully my dh does most of the cooking. I like to bake.:bigsmile:

Lilian78
January 27th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Love to cook, but often don't have the time :(

prettyinpink18
January 27th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I do like to cook but don't enjoy the huge mess it makes of my kitchen, lol. I don't cook as often as I should though. We do schwans sometimes and a lot of store bought stuff that I "doctor" up the semi homemade way.

Gus
February 1st, 2011, 12:24 PM
I'm trying the Caribbean chicken tonight. I really wanted Jamaican Jerk but couldn't find any marinade.

MyLilSweetPeas
February 3rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
For me it depends on my mood. I'm sure my dh loves when I get in the mood to cook because I'll cook him a full coarse homemade southern meal! He does a lot of the cooking though, and I think that has sort of killed my desire to cook. He's a good cooks though so I don't mind. He washed dishes too!

One thing I never have attempted to cook until two nights ago is rice on the stovetop. I've always made it in the microwave steamer. I think I might have tried to cook it a long long time ago and it was awful so never did it again. Soo, we are moving and my steamer is already packed up. Two nights ago we had some pork loin in the crockpot and wanted rice too. I HAD to cook it on the stove. It turned out perfect! I was so excited! Then I thought well how silly, I am 31 years old and excited about cooking rice, lol! But it's the first time I've done it with success and it actually made me feel accomplished!

I don't like to eat any meat that has the bones. The problem for me isn't picking the meat off the bone. If I get even one tiny piece of bone in my mouth the whole meal is ruined. So, if the meat falls off the bone in the crockpot, to me it's gross because I have to make sure I don't accidentally scoopany bone onto my plate.

Right now I have some boneless skinless chicken breasts in the crockpot with sliced onions. I'm getting ready to make some white chicken chili for this cold weather we're having!

sunnyinflorida
February 3rd, 2011, 01:10 PM
I like to cook but HATE the mess and dishes. We bbq a lot and eat outside (this helps) I'm not a baker we do ice cream most of the time :)

JackiesHope
February 14th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I never liked to cook but I got the job because DH is an even worse cook than me. I like it much better now that I've learned a few things and have more confidence in the kitchen.

AnnaG1
February 14th, 2011, 11:07 AM
I love to cook but I have to be in the mood- I try to cook every night except Fri & Sat nights. Cook all the Italian dishes I grew up on
Except now- I ease up on the pasta alot!

Ribbons
February 17th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I love to cook so, so much. I am in the kitchen literally 2-3 hours a day! I make everything from scratch, even my own mayo, ketchup, chicken stock, sauerkraut, I even do canning... that's why this diet is going to KILL me... and why I think only the FGD will work for me, because there is no way I will be able to keep up with (and my family will put up with) the LE or IG route :)

Zivic-Bubac
February 18th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I hate it with passion. It's so NOT me, but I do cook every other day :hair: bcos I feel it's sort of my job or something :worry:

purplepoet20
February 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I love cooking. When I was nine I had to learn to make meals for my bro, sis, and myself (other bro was born 4y later). I mastered microwave pasta then, but I have since mastered my MIL Italian recipes. I love all kinds of foods since I have only recently been exposed to foods other then what my sister and I were forced to make up out of what we had. Because of childhood issues around food and other stuff I do have an odd passion for the love of cooking but it is mostly centered around pleasing the people who are eating it.

Eating out is so expensive but I noticed a few years ago that I can figure out most if not all of the ingrediets or spices in our favorite foods... I do change a few things to lower the unhealthy stuff. But when you can make Pad Thai, Panang, all Mexican food, the best Italian foods, and then still be able to make the simple american classics... It makes meals fun. DS1 is picky but he still eats at least half a meal but DS2 eats everything without spilling anything.

My boys like fries but not all the time. We make our own pizza, flavoring sauces, pasta, and everything else together as a family. It's so rewarding watching my almost 4yo measure out everything he needs to make the family meatball recipe all by himself.

pastelpicnic
February 22nd, 2012, 12:00 AM
Love to cook. I have the food network channel on the TV when its on. Cooking a good meal makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Although it doesn't relax me anymore because of the little ones wanting to help it takes longer. DH is great a cleaning up and doing dishes if he gets home early from work. I do like the help I get from my 6 yr. old. I just wish I could cook a new meal every night but it's too expensive for us to live like that these days.

nks798
February 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
I absolutely LOVE cooking! I would have loved to have gone to Culinary School, never too late right? I love food network, cooking channel, etc. it's been really hard right now being on the LE Diet.. can't wait til I get a BFP lol so I can cook more again and actually be able to eat it!

purplepoet20
February 22nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
I'm trying the Caribbean chicken tonight. I really wanted Jamaican Jerk but couldn't find any marinade.

We made Jerk Sauce once from an online recipe... I don't remember everything but it was about 2cps of OJ, 1 large Onion, 4 cloves garlic, and 1 hot pepper (normally Hab but Jala works) mix in a blender until no chunks are left. Add somewhere about 1-3 teas (some people don't like it strong) each of Cloves, Nutmeg, All Spice, Cinn, and Black Pepper. Salt to taste and 1 tbsp of Thyme. Mix again. Put sauce and Meat in a sealed bag for 8-24hrs. Simmer the sauce so extra can be added to the meat after it is BBQed.

If you want a fast dry rub only use the dry spices and add powdered onion and garlic. But not the same as the marinade.

My boys don't like the spices so I make them plain chicken and then I am able to add a Hab to the sauce to please DH.

Orchid
February 22nd, 2012, 10:09 AM
I love cooking but being a working mom there is only so much time I can spend experimenting in the kitchen. When DS gets a little bigger we both can spend time in the kitchen trying out fun stuff.

purplepoet20
February 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
I love cooking but being a working mom there is only so much time I can spend experimenting in the kitchen. When DS gets a little bigger we both can spend time in the kitchen trying out fun stuff.

I have always saw cooking together as a great time to talk and open up to each other. Not having my mom to talk to and my dad never left the tv, childhood and teen years were hard. I think that if even one of my parents would have started cooking with me around 9yo they would have been able to notice how depressed I was.

I find great joy in talking to my DS1 while we care doing something together even if it is only for a second to stir the pasta sauce or put dishes away. And besides a boy needs to learn to cook so he can show off to the girls!

Myloves
March 20th, 2012, 08:11 AM
I find great joy in talking to my DS1 while we care doing something together even if it is only for a second to stir the pasta sauce or put dishes away. And besides a boy needs to learn to cook so he can show off to the girls!

He'll make his future wife very happy, that's for sure! :D

Txmom
March 22nd, 2012, 07:45 AM
I love cooking but hate cleaning up.

Usa/CanadaHybridBabies
March 22nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
My dh is a great cook, while I on the other hand can burn water. I do enjoy cooking and baking, especially when dh and I do it together. It may sound silly, but it's something we both like doing with each other and it's great bonding time.