PDA

View Full Version : How does the cost work if you don't have embryos to transfer?

3boyz
April 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Sorry, I thought I was all set to get my sway ready, but I just keep coming back to Hi-tech! I'm really trying to get my husband on board, but he is having problems with what to do with the embryos we may get that aren't female.

But on to my question! I've noticed in peoples siggy's that sometimes you go through the meds, do ER, and then don't have any viable embryos to transfer. How does Dr. Potter handle that in terms of the cost of the cycle? And how common is that? And how common are OHW? I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just really want a little girl! :)

Bambina
April 12th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I've never had an NT, but I assume he doesn't charge for ET procedure if there's nothing to transfer. You can purchase a 2 or 3 cycle package from HRC as an 'insurance policy'. Depending on your pre-testing results, you may be eligible for a partial refund package. OHWs do happen, but they're not the majority. Good luck getting your little girl!

TRL
April 12th, 2012, 11:35 PM
It's the same cost. I froze everything this cycle and it was the same price. I also have to pay for a frozen transfer. It's around $3000.00.

Zora Astor
April 12th, 2012, 11:44 PM
You might get the ET fee back (a couple hundred, I think), but in most cases, the cost of a NT cycle is the same as a normal cycle.

I think I remember Dr Potter say that a NT happens in 20% of GS cycles. The chance of a OHW is the same as the success rate for your age group at your clinic, ~ 30-40%.

jils04
April 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Depending on your age and pretesting, you need to allow for a few cycles. i.e. younger than 35, maybe 1-2 cycles, over 35, 3-4 cycles. Closer to 40, up to 5 cycles. Ok, these are the worse case scenarios and I happen to be one of those LOL !
NT is not pleasant. Ive had one due to the embie being the opposite gender.
His best deal (IMO) is the GD discounted $11,200 plus meds (?) and anaesthesia ($400). Thats for 24gsn
HTH

3boyz
April 13th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Depending on your age and pretesting, you need to allow for a few cycles. i.e. younger than 35, maybe 1-2 cycles, over 35, 3-4 cycles. Closer to 40, up to 5 cycles. Ok, these are the worse case scenarios and I happen to be one of those LOL !
NT is not pleasant. Ive had one due to the embie being the opposite gender.
His best deal (IMO) is the GD discounted $11,200 plus meds (?) and anaesthesia ($400). Thats for 24gsn
HTH

Thank you everyone! I'm a little bit new to High Tech. What do you mean by 24 GSN? Also, how common is it to only get one or two viable embryos to transfer? And what do you ladies do with the embryos you don't transfer? Is it possible to do a FET later but with no meds? My husband is very wary of PGD because of the great possibility of having leftover embryos and what to do with them as I don't think we would adopt them out and we would not destroy them. I've thought about doing an FET later on but without meds, wouldn't that make a pregnancy less likely? But then, maybe down the road we would want another one and I could just do the meds......so much to think/worry about!

How common is a OHW? I wouldn't plan on being won, but would obviously hope! I just turned 30, if that makes a difference....

nuthinbutpink
April 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
You are young for IVF so that should be helpful. GSN is a type of testing that tests all chromosomes. FISH is an older testing method that just looks at specific chromosomes- up to 5 different ones usually.

People use both depending on what you want to do once you research your options.

Usually, we end up with 1, 2 or 3 embryos at the end. If you use GSN and test all chromosomes, you should eliminate most of the abnormal ones. You can certainly go back for a FET but there are medicated and non-medicated FETs so you don't necessarily reduce your pregnancy chances by going that route at all.

You can donate them as well.

OHW is not as common as having to cycle more than once. Going into it with the mentality that it may take more than one chance to have it work is best.

3boyz
April 13th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Thank you! Looks like I need to research FISH and GSN. Is there a difference in cost? Meaning, I know the Dr. Potter charges something like $11,200 for Dream Members. Does that include FISH or GSN or do you choose? I am a little ignorant in this area and just figured PGD was PGD was PGD and I would (hopefully) get girl embryos....lol!

nuthinbutpink
April 19th, 2012, 06:36 AM
That price is GSN. GSN tests all chromosomes. FISH is limited to how many probes you use. 2-probe tests for X and Y only. 3-probe is X,Y and Down's. 5-probe is X,Y,13,18, and 21. That's as high as you should go with FISH.