PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever cycled in Chicago?

3boyz
April 13th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Hi! Again, I'm new and I'm trying to persuade my hubby to try PGD. We live about 1.5 hours from Chicago. Has anyone ever successfully cycled with any of the doctors in the Chicago area? What were your impressions? What was the cost? Would you recommend them? Any advice? Or would you just fly to HRC and cycle with Dr. Potter? I watched the 60 minutes cloverbear did and was really impressed by him...he just seemed personable, supportive, and easy to work with. But again, the cost of travel would be much less to go to Chicago! So any helpful advice would be appreciated!

dakota5176
April 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I've cycled twice with Dr. Jacobs through Fertility Centers of Illinois. My first cycle there were only 6 eggs and only 2 survived. My second cycle I had 9 eggs but only 4 survived. So far I haven't had anything implanted or tested yet. I think I'm going to do a third cycle before doing that.

3boyz
April 16th, 2012, 02:30 PM
When you say there were only 6 eggs...do you mean at ER? And you haven't had anything tested....what do you mean? Do you recommend Dr. Jacobs? Are you doing PGD? Sorry for all the questions!!

nuthinbutpink
April 16th, 2012, 02:55 PM
She must be batching since so few fertilized. You cycle two or three times and then send all embryos together for PGD. It's a very expensive path. All you "save" is the PGD fee. You still pay for each cycle.

3boyz
April 16th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks! Could I expect to hace pretty good odds of getting pregnant after 1 or 2 cycles? I have had three naturally and I just turned 30. I might be able to cycle when I'm 31.....Also, is it really common to have no girls in a cycle when you are trying for a girl? And, I read somewhere that Dr. Potter does sperm spinning but doesn't charge for it because he doesn't think it makes a difference....did I read that correctly?

nuthinbutpink
April 16th, 2012, 04:02 PM
2 cycles is reasonable and one is possible. Not sure about the spinning.

He does free consults for Dream Members and takes $1000 off the cycle fee.

nuthinbutpink
April 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM
NTs happen with lower numbers. Under 8 embryos at testing and you are at higher risk.

3boyz
April 16th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Thank you! Yes, I know about the discounts. I'm trying to convince my husband. I'm anxious to get started but he wants to do some research (he has a medical background). He's still debating how he feels ethically about it (meaning the embryos that are not transferred). If we did it, he wants to wait until next summer because we will be moving and he will be starting a job then. He wants to wait till we're moved and hopefully before the job starts so he can come with me the whole time. I just feel like there is a ticking clock and I want my daughter now! :)

nuthinbutpink, I can see you've cycled before. Do the meds really hurt?? I'm nervous about all the meds! And is it possible to do all the meds, etc without people around you knowing you're doing it? I'm not sure I want to open myself up to the comments and the possible judgement of having this done. But I'm really curious about the meds!

nuthinbutpink
April 16th, 2012, 05:09 PM
They needle hurts like you think a needle should hurt. It is totally doable though. If you cycle in the summer and you can still rock a bikini, you won't be wearing one while you are doing your injections. I bruised on my belly from them. The worst ones are the PIO if you have to use it because they go into your butt muscle and knots can form under the skin.

Again, it is not that bad and anyone can do it. Just like diabetics have to do insulin, this is the same thing in the gut for stims. It's a tiny insulin needle.

Nobody knows we went HT. I did my injections in the early AM in my bathroom with the door locked. The kids NEVER saw me.

3boyz
April 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Good to know! I'm actually a diabetic, so I think I would be okay with the small needle injections. It's the thick one I worry about now! Is that to progesterone? And I don't look bad, but wouldn't be rocking a bikini!! LOL!

nuthinbutpink
April 16th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Yes, the progesterone. Some REs use the suppositories though. I'd rather do the injection than have stuff leaking out! I iced before to numb and then used wet heat after.

3boyz
April 16th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Thanks! Yeah, I think I prefer the shots too!

megmal
May 20th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Sorry I'm so late on this thread. I'm currently cycling with ivf1, dr. Morris. This is my second cycle with him. His office staff is awesome and he is up on all the newest technology. Let me know if I can help:) fingers crossed for success this time.

Sugar28
October 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM
megmal-any luck with your cycling? How has your experience been so far? I may be looking to do PGD/IVF in illinois.

3sweetboys
April 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I'm in Illinois and looking into PGD, can I ask who you went through? Thank you!