Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Is fresh semen as good as frozen?

Dear Dr. Braverman. My DH and I are going for our first IVF-PDG-treatment in May, but because of logistic reasons my DH has to go ahead of me and leave his semen sample which will be used later that week when I have my ER. But I am afraid that I might reduce my chances of success if I use thawed semen. Is the thawed as good as fresh when it comes to fertilization? Thank you in advance for taking time to answer my question.
    3 beautiful & now pregnant with a baby girl due June 2017

Thank you everyone in this site and in particular Atomic for amazing support during my sway. I am for ever grateful.

Ask the Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Although Fresh is clearly better, in a healthy woman that should have plenty of viable eggs , I do not think you will be dramatically lowering your chances of conception. Good Luck.
    Dr. Braverman, Founder and Medical Director at Braverman Reproductive Immunology, New York
    www.preventmiscarriage.com
    @BravermanReprod

Dream Vet

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much for your quick reply. If you think fresh is clearly better, then I don't want to risk a chance, and my DH will have to go together with me for ER. I am 40 and might only have a few good eggs, so I don't want to risk any chances of conception. Is the fresh better because there are more aktive semen-cells alive and because some semen might die during the freezing/thawing process?
    3 beautiful & now pregnant with a baby girl due June 2017

Thank you everyone in this site and in particular Atomic for amazing support during my sway. I am for ever grateful.

Ask the Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Its not the survival issue as we would only do ICSI with sperm that have thawed, but the fertilization rates that are not as high .
    Dr. Braverman, Founder and Medical Director at Braverman Reproductive Immunology, New York
    www.preventmiscarriage.com
    @BravermanReprod