Dream User

Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Progesterone Allergy

Hi Dr. Braverman,

I've had an undiagnosed condition for the last three and a bit years and my doctor has tried and tested many theories everything coming back negative. She has been researching a lot and her new theory is hormone allergy, specifically progesterone (apparently its called autoimmune progesterone dermatitis or APD). It fits really well because the itching, hives and other symptoms I get occur at ovulation, menstruation and during pregnancy.

I'm still waiting for the test results to come back to know for sure but I'm really worried about whether this will affect whether or not I can successfully do IVF. I don't know much about the specific hormones that you need to inject during the IVF process but I thought progesterone was one of them.

Is this something you've come across before? and if so do you know if there are ways around it in terms of IVF protocol?

Thanks

Ask the Expert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Downloads
    Uploads

Happy

[QUOTE=Bella-Rose;747429]Hi Dr. Braverman,

I've had an undiagnosed condition for the last three and a bit years and my doctor has tried and tested many theories everything coming back negative. She has been researching a lot and her new theory is hormone allergy, specifically progesterone (apparently its called autoimmune progesterone dermatitis or APD). It fits really well because the itching, hives and other symptoms I get occur at ovulation, menstruation and during pregnancy.

I'm still waiting for the test results to come back to know for sure but I'm really worried about whether this will affect whether or not I can successfully do IVF. I don't know much about the specific hormones that you need to inject during the IVF process but I thought progesterone was one of them.

Is this something you've come across before? and if so do you know if there are ways around it in terms of IVF protocol?

Yes this is one of the differential diagnosis , your doctor is correct. We have had success with prednisone and supplemental progesterone in these cases.
    Dr. Braverman, Founder and Medical Director at Braverman Reproductive Immunology, New York
    www.preventmiscarriage.com
    @BravermanReprod